Moparts

Noisy pcv

Posted By: jlhram

Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 01:02 AM

I recently did a cam swap on my 69 383. went from a 284 to a 268. Car ran fine for a couple days and then it started running rough and the pcv valve is rattling like crazy. I checked for intake leak and found none. I checked vac. and got about 18 but it is not steady the needle shakes a lot. I tried moving the pcv hose from the front to the back of the carb and it seemed to geta little better but still surges. I have heard from friends and relatives that this is the best place to get good sound advice, so thank you in advance. Jim
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 01:04 AM

Have you reset your timing and carb since the change?

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 01:54 AM

Thanks stumpy, yes after initial break in the timing was adjusted and as for the carb, really didn't have to do much but adjust the idle. Like I said the strange thing was I drove it for a couple days before this started.
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 04:02 AM

Is it sealing well into the valvecover?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 04:28 AM

I would continue to search for a vac leak. Possibly intake valley pan
Posted By: 41hemi

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 04:31 AM

Run a compression check
Posted By: runinonmt

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/27/09 01:19 PM

That thing got a hemi? Just Kiddin'. Check the hose and carb fitting for blockage. Also check the filtered cap on the other valve cover. If the vacuum gauge read a bouncy 18 a leak is likely, though it may come from the pcv. Try restricting the hose a bit until the rattle stops. If it all checks out try the suggestion at the end of this thread: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...amp;Search=true
Say hi to Gail & the grandkids for me. Need to get down there for my parts and
Ron
P.S. if the link doesn't work do a search for "pcv valve"

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/28/09 01:25 AM

Thanks I'll see what I can come up with and let you know. Ron ur parts are safe and FROZEN.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Noisy pcv - 01/28/09 03:33 AM

I had the fluttering PCV problem too. I think just too much air was going through it after my rebuild. I shoved a restrictor(an old 1/4" drive socket) into the rubber line by the carb and that cured it.

Attached picture 4979039-1968BarracudaConvertible002(Large).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums