Moparts

Quietest electric fuel pump

Posted By: Stanton

Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 04:02 AM

Any opinions on what would be the quietest electric fuel pump - NOT and in-tank unit.

Considering the FITech EFI system using the surge tank. It requires a low pressure pump to feed the surge tank. I can't run a stock style pump so need electric.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 04:26 AM

run a high volume mechanical pump.....

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 04:51 AM

Guess you missed my point about not being able to run a stock-style (mechanical) pump !!
Posted By: smos001

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 05:27 AM

I have a mallory 140 with a solid piece of rubber behind the bracket.
Very quiet. no vibration.
Posted By: MoparRoger

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 06:55 AM

Holley gerotor.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 06:58 AM

definitely mount it on some moderately soft rubber & make sure the mounting thru bolt does not make metal to metal contact either. As you know a non deadheaded pump (return line system) is quieter (that setup might not be applicable for your intended app) but just sayin
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 04:14 PM

Stanton, why not an in-tank pump? You can easily slip one in through the stock sending unit opening using your modified stock sending unit. The electrical bulkhead connector is the only thing you will see once it is installed.

The fuel tank won't need to be sumped or baffled, because the always full Fitech surge tank is the source of your high pressure fuel.

I have a similar set-up to the Fitech can that uses a smaller Carter external pusher pump plumbed to a surge tank with an internal high pressure pump at the front of the car. It's quiet, but the external pump is still annoying. I'm about to modify my system to use an in-tank pusher pump, because I don't like the noise and it will flow more fuel.

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 04:40 PM

I was under the impression that in-tank pumps are high pressure to feed efi. I'm game to use an in tank pump but it has to be 3-8 PSI. Who makes such an animal ??
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 07:15 PM

My Holley Red is not very loud. I cant hear it over my Sonic Turbos. All my Holley Blues were somewhat loud. Didn't bother me though.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 08:30 PM

I'm using a Mr. Gasket Micro 12S (5 psi) to feed my GO4 Command Center; you can hear it when the motor is off but not when running.
Posted By: beecrazy

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 09:22 PM

Stanton

I run the Aeromotive phantom Stealth 340 in tank pump. I also have Aeromotive bypass regulator and love it. I feed a 850 quick fuel carb at 6 1/2 psi and you can barely hear pump when car is not running. The regulator i brought came with 2 springs one for 3 to 20 psi ant the other for 20 to 65 psi . So it will work for carb or fuel injection.

Kevin

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
I was under the impression that in-tank pumps are high pressure to feed efi. I'm game to use an in tank pump but it has to be 3-8 PSI. Who makes such an animal ??

As long as the fuel has some place to go with little to no restriction the modern efi pumps will flow that low of pressure. It's only when you restrict the flow that the pressure climbs.

In my case, I have 3/8" feed and return lines going to my surge tank at the front of the car and returning all excess fuel to the fuel tank through a 3/8 return that I plumbed into my sending unit. The line pressure stays at or near 0 psi, but at a very high volume. Once the surge tank is full, it freeflows back to the tank.

This way even if the pick-up is uncovered in the tank for a few seconds, the high pressure pump in the surge tank remains covered with fuel resulting in no interruption of flow to the injectors during spirited driving with low fuel in the tank. I've tested my set-up down to 2 gallons of fuel at Willow Springs with solid fuel pressure the entire time. All with a stock unmodified fuel tank.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/18/15 11:07 PM

I've had a Carter universal electric fuel pump (P4070) on a daily driver.
Was only really noticable with the IGN on and engine OFF.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 03:55 AM

I switched from the Holley RED to the Holley HP125. The RED is loud enough to be heard at idle at a stop light and the HP125 can not be heard at all under the same circumstances.

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 04:29 AM

It seems to me that running a high pressure pump, two lines and a regulator to the surge tank/pump is not only overkill but a waste of money as well as unnecessary weight.

All you need to do is get fuel to the surge tank at the recommended pressure and there's no need for either a regulator or a return line. And it can be accomplished with a pump that costs less than $50. (the Mr. Gasket pump mentioned in a previous post).

The FITech recommendation is a 3 - 8 psi pump feeding the surge tank and this will supposedly support 1200 HP (not that I'm anywhere close to that!) Presumably they've done some testing !!!
Posted By: chrisnben

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 02:25 PM

stanton-
usually the cheap pumps are vane geared, which are all loud- such as holley red, blue, etc. The quieter gerator drive's are nice. I have used both the Holley HP125 & Mallory Comp110. Both somewhat reasonably priced.

I am also looking into the same FITech system, looks promising. I already have the Holley HP125 so I will use that in back with the sump tank up front. I'm curious how "cool" that stays up in the engine bay. At minimum, it's 150 degrees in there. I suppose you could insulate it with wrap (might not look the best).

Or, I suppose for the extra cost of that sump ($375), you could also just use a good EFI pump like Aeromotive A1000 & their return regulator, plus a mini pusher pump like others suggested.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 04:12 PM

Just an FYI to the OP, we have had three failures with the holley Hp 125 in the last two years for no apparent reason. The earlier ones we installed seemed fine, beer

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 07:19 PM

It seems to me that running a high pressure pump, two lines and a regulator to the surge tank/pump is not only overkill but a waste of money as well as unnecessary weight.

All you need to do is get fuel to the surge tank at the recommended pressure and there's no need for either a regulator or a return line. And it can be accomplished with a pump that costs less than $50. (the Mr. Gasket pump mentioned in a previous post).

The FITech recommendation is a 3 - 8 psi pump feeding the surge tank and this will supposedly support 1200 HP (not that I'm anywhere close to that!) Presumably they've done some testing !!!

Not sure why you would want to add a regulator, Stanton. There is no need for one and it would be a waste of $. What you are trying to accomplish is providing your Fitech Can or surge tank with a steady high volume stream of fuel at very low pressure. The weight of a return line 10 or so feet of aluminum fuel line wouldn't likely exceed a pound and is pretty cheap.

The system essentially free flows from the fuel tank, to the Fitech Can or surge tank and back to the fuel tank at a very high volume, but very low pressure as there is little restriction in the circuit. The benefits of this set-up are that you save a lot of money over using a custom baffled or sumped tank, your injected fuel will remain cooler AND you have a fuel system that will out perform an expensive custom fuel tank especially when the fuel is low in the tank.

Running an in-tank pump plumbed to your can requires only a few extra feet of aluminum fuel line, a couple simple modifications to a stock sending unit and an electric pump that will fit through the sending unit hole. You are going to spend money on an external pump anyway, so that's kind of a wash.

This set-up is a great alternative for those wanting a high performance fuel system to run EFI without having to buy or build an expensive custom fuel tank. It will provide a steady stream of fuel without having air pockets in your high pressure side of the system during hard acceleration, braking or cornering with less than a half a tank of gas.

It also shortens the length of high pressure fuel line to a few feet in length rather than having it run the entire length of the car.

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 08:08 PM

Quote:

Not sure why you would want to add a regulator, Stanton. There is no need for one and it would be a waste of $. What you are trying to accomplish is providing your Fitech Can or surge tank with a steady high volume stream of fuel at very low pressure. The weight of a return line 10 or so feet of aluminum fuel line wouldn't likely exceed a pound and is pretty cheap.

The system essentially free flows from the fuel tank, to the Fitech Can or surge tank and back to the fuel tank at a very high volume, but very low pressure as there is little restriction in the circuit. The benefits of this set-up are that you save a lot of money over using a custom baffled or sumped tank, your injected fuel will remain cooler AND you have a fuel system that will out perform an expensive custom fuel tank especially when the fuel is low in the tank.

Running an in-tank pump plumbed to your can requires only a few extra feet of aluminum fuel line, a couple simple modifications to a stock sending unit and an electric pump that will fit through the sending unit hole. You are going to spend money on an external pump anyway, so that's kind of a wash.

This set-up is a great alternative for those wanting a high performance fuel system to run EFI without having to buy or build an expensive custom fuel tank. It will provide a steady stream of fuel without having air pockets in your high pressure side of the system during hard acceleration, braking or cornering with less than a half a tank of gas.

It also shortens the length of high pressure fuel line to a few feet in length rather than having it run the entire length of the car.

There is no provision on the FITech surge tank for a return line. So with no provision for a return at the unit it would have to be plumbed before the surge tank. So what do you do, just install a Tee near at the front so the fuel flows into the surge tank as well as back through the return line ??

Give me a recommendation for an in-tank pump that would suit the application.

I understand the volume requirements at the surge tank. I also understand not needing high pressure up to the surge tank. But I need to get my head around how you run a return line without a regulator. With no regulator you are basically giving the fuel an open loop.

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 09:12 PM

It's not about how many horses it'll feed, it's about how long it'll feed 'em. IOW, it won't feed 1200 horses for an extended period of time but the capacity of the tank plus the inflow will probably be sufficient for the typical length of time you're producing 1200 HP (quarter mile run, dyno pull)
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 09:21 PM

On the return Q would a fitting in the (return) line with a carb jet (or similar, NPT pipe plug) drilled to a particular size give the proper amt of return flow?

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 09:34 PM

Quote:

It's not about how many horses it'll feed, it's about how long it'll feed 'em. IOW, it won't feed 1200 horses for an extended period of time but the capacity of the tank plus the inflow will probably be sufficient for the typical length of time you're producing 1200 HP (quarter mile run, dyno pull)

Yeah, I understand that.

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/19/15 09:45 PM

Quote:
On the return Q would a fitting in the (return) line with a carb jet (or similar, NPT pipe plug) drilled to a particular size give the proper amt of return flow?

The problem with that is its "hit and miss". You could run a 3/8 feed line and a 1/8 return but is that enough or too much ?!?!? This is why I think they recommend a low pressure pump - adequate to keep the surge tank full "most of the time" but not enough pressure to require a return line.

The alternative (in my opinion) would be more volume and a return line with a regulator set a hair below the surge tank's threshold.
Posted By: chrisnben

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/20/15 07:04 PM

Quote:

The problem with that is its "hit and miss". You could run a 3/8 feed line and a 1/8 return but is that enough or too much ?!?!? This is why I think they recommend a low pressure pump - adequate to keep the surge tank full "most of the time" but not enough pressure to require a return line.

The alternative (in my opinion) would be more volume and a return line with a regulator set a hair below the surge tank's threshold.

then you are probally better off with an Aeromotive A1000 & a return regulator/ line than using the sump kit. Same size line going both ways. Size depends on the engine requirements, but -8 will feed 98%. drive

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/20/15 07:38 PM

There is no provision on the FITech surge tank for a return line.

Even though their website pics don't show it, the current version of the tank does have a return port.

Attached picture Comm Center Top.JPG

Re: Quietest electric fuel pump - 10/20/15 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
There is no provision on the FITech surge tank for a return line.

Even though their website pics don't show it, the current version of the tank does have a return port.

If the return is still there, run the same size return line back to the fuel tank and disable the float inside the tank. The internal high pressure pump does not require pressurized fuel to work in the can. It needs only a continuous supply of fuel.

This low pressure side of the fuel system delivers fuel until the tank is full and free flows back to your main tank. Any restrictions will increase the low-side pressure dramatically.
© 2024 Moparts Forums