Moparts

shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ?

Posted By: RapidRobert

shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 05:14 PM

Is this doable? there are several lengths of C body axles listed in the archives. Want to send a pair in to Moser & dont know yet what lengths the ones in question are. thank you for your time.
Posted By: burdar

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 05:20 PM

I looked into doing the same thing. I was given a free C-body 8 3/4.(mid 60's I think) The axles are basically E-body length. They taper down right at the A-body length so they won't work. My plan is to have the housing shortened and buy Dr Diff axles. Maybe different years would have an axle that doesn't taper down.

All E-body 29 31/32"
65-69 C-body 30"
Posted By: crlush

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 05:38 PM

I had a set cut down from a c-body but can't remember what model/year, but they had to weld about 1/2" on the end becsuse it tapered down and respline, they worked good till i started running slicks then they started to twist the spline like a candy cane and ended up just buying moser axles, so in the long run it wasnt worth it.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 05:56 PM

The brake configuration on A-bodies is different from the others, I believe it sticks out less, so you'd have to use brake assemblies from non-A-bodies.

This question used to get asked a lot and the answer was there are some axles that can be cut down and resplined and some that can't. Many of the axles taper too early so there isn't enough material. And I'd never recommend welding on an axle shaft.

R.

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 06:04 PM

Alright, iirc Moser told me way back that it needs at least 28" from outside of flange to axle tip for them to be good candidates and at least 1" of spline is needed when you are done for proper engagement. sounds like I need to get em in hand & go from there. thanks guys!
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 06:34 PM

I've had Moser cut down several sets of 70-74 C and truck axles over the years.
Posted By: skicker

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 10:41 PM

Robert...why not just buy the correct axles from Dr. Diff?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 10:49 PM

On most axle shafts the first 3" of the spline end is necked down so only the C-body and truck 31"+ shafts are suitable to be shortened to 28" for the A-body. Even if the shaft is long enough there's not always enough meat for shortening/resplining because of shaft irregularities.

Less hassle to buy new.

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/02/15 11:49 PM

More good info. I'll measure em
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/03/15 03:50 AM

I have a set Mosr did. I used E body. Moser told me truck, E and late C body were the only ones they would cut.

Moser can do them for A body brakes, but then you need your drums redrilled too.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/03/15 07:46 AM

When I had a set done I called Moser and they told me what to measure (it's been too long to remember what that number is). The axles that I used came from 69-70 C-body wagons...

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/03/15 08:04 AM

iirc they said hook your tape over the flange & out to the end they need (at least) 28" before it starts to neckdown
Posted By: BSharp

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/03/15 05:44 PM

From Tom Condran's "Performance Handling for Classic Mopars":

Attached picture Mopar axles.jpg
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/05/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By skicker

Definitely agree, it's a no brainier for me... Why spend the money on a set of old stock axles when you can order a brand new set from Dr. Diff that are stronger than factory axles, not to mention NEW, and have green bearings.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/05/15 05:47 PM

Old trick from back in the day before people were making new axles. These days I wouldn't bother. Kind of like welding up a factory crank to build a stroker motor. We did it 30 years ago but I wouldn't do it today.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/05/15 07:30 PM

Curious, Are Dr. Diffs axles able to use Standard tapered bearings too?
Originally Posted By 340_Dart

Definitely agree, it's a no brainier for me... Why spend the money on a set of old stock axles when you can order a brand new set from Dr. Diff that are stronger than factory axles, not to mention NEW, and have green bearings.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/05/15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By Jwilli500
Curious, Are Dr. Diffs axles able to use Standard tapered bearings too?
Originally Posted By 340_Dart

I can agree with most all of that, but if I were doing it I would go for a hybrid and opt for the Phord "Torino" big wheel bearings, Phord housing ends and use the racing Phord 11" brake drum kits for the rear that are brand new complete. That way you get better wheel bearings that are prepacked and sealed, new rear brakes that are probably a lot more than you need with a parking brake that is easy to adapt to your existing cables and a bolt pattern that will fit the BBP wheels you will want. We can continue the 8.75" discussion vs. Phord 9" vs Dana 60 if you must, but at least we now have the axle issue settled. JMHO.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/06/15 02:44 AM

My axles are compatible with Mopar Green ball bearings, Mopar Set 7 tapered roller bearings and Ford Set 20 tapered roller bearings, all of which I stock.
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/06/15 04:23 AM

So with a C body axle and 11 x 2-1/2 inch brakes, what width do you need to have the housing cut to, in an A body ,to place the wheel in a stock location? Assuming 15" x 6" 3-3/4" back spacing ,4.5" bolt circle steel wheels.

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/06/15 02:17 PM

Using B-C Body and later A body brake drums and backing plate have no bearing on width. (maybe a small amount being only the thickness of the drum at the axle flange) The axle flange dimension is the dimension you need from left to right.

Its not 1985 any more...there are better options out there than reusing 40-50 year old parts... twocents

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/06/15 02:30 PM

This chart may help with what you need. Looks like 51.4" to the housing flange? shruggy http://www.mymopar.com/forum_images/rearaxledims.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/06/15 07:48 PM

GAWD!!! I wish someone would outlaw that chart, it's everywhere and mostly wrong.

All '66-'72 A-body housings are 52 5/8" wide. Using the BBP axles in an A-body housing will increase the overall width 5/8" so, to keep the original overall width, you'd have to make the housing 52.0".

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/07/15 01:34 AM

John , thank you. What is it about the BBP axles that make it 5/8" wider?
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/07/15 06:03 AM

Total brake offset for '65 and newer 5 x 4.5" Mopar axles measures 2.525" when installed. The 5 x 4" version measures 2.25".

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/08/15 02:24 AM

Thank you Dr. Diff.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/09/15 06:56 AM

Not to rob Cass of any business, but I would respline a set of C body axle shafts just like I would bore and reuse a 40-50 year old engine block or crank. Why? It's cheap and more importantly I'M CHEAP!!! laugh An hour of shop time compared to brand new shafts? Unless you are going to stand on this car, I don't see any reason not to give grandpa's old axles a new lease on life.

Mopar Action did a great story on this back in the 90's and it's likely available at their website. I got mine out of a 69 Fury. Go for it. If you can't get the thing together, call the Dr.
Posted By: burdar

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/09/15 05:55 PM

So, how much does it cost for someone to respline a set of axles? You have to figure in shipping both ways too. Not everyone has someone close by that can/will do it.

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/09/15 06:01 PM

Moser in Portland Indiana. $125 (per pair) plus the ride (both ways)
Posted By: 440farmer

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/09/15 07:57 PM

another vote for dr diff
I used to respline them back in the day
cheaper to buy them from the dr and your done with studs & brgs.

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/09/15 08:11 PM

If I didn't already have em I would call the Doc

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/09/15 09:22 PM

Back in the day when I worked in the wrecking yard we used to mark the end of the aisles with axles that we would pound in the ground and spray paint with fluorescent colors. When we finally closed the yard, we crushed all the cars that were left, pulled the axles out of the ground and sent everything to the scrap mill. The C body axles were a favorite for the task because we had so many of them and they never sold.

Attached picture beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/10/15 01:17 AM

You should send that sign over to the parts store post in the general section... biggrin

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/10/15 04:21 AM

Glad you liked it, feel free to use it when it seems right!!!
Posted By: 1971 Gran Coupe

Re: shorten C body 8&3/4 axles to fit A body housing ? - 10/10/15 01:15 PM

You should send that sign over to the parts store post in the general section... biggrin
iagree iagree iagree laugh2
© 2024 Moparts Forums