Moparts

Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement

Posted By: old340dog

Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 02:06 PM

Looks like I have to replace my ignition switch in my duster. I must admit this is unchartered waters for me. So I have questions and am kind of hestitate to do this.Should a knowledgable mechanic do this? There are really no old mopar gurus in my area (central ny)to go too.I've been looking at some manuals and have some questions.
Do I need to pull the whole steering column to do this job?
Any special tools needed?
Any watchouts, do's and don'ts?
Thanks for any help.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 07:22 PM

#1 before doing ANY electrical work ALWAYS pull a batt cable (either one). you would need a steering wheel puller which are dirt cheap then you'll have easy access to the innards. been awhile & dont remem if there is a pin you depress or what but it wont be difficult at all once you get in there. Go for it!
Posted By: old340dog

Re: Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 08:48 PM

I always disconnect the battery on electical work. My concerns are how far do you have to tear the column down or remove stuff before you get to the switch? I know there is a pin to press to get the lockset out. But do I have to drop the column down to be able to get the switch and wiring harness out and the new setup in? None of the books I have cover any of this.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 09:10 PM

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/mopp-0308-mopar-steering-column-rebuild/

Pretty much the same for you,
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 09:13 PM

This is the terminal removal tool that will pop both the .125 and .093 terminals from the connector. I got mine from Allied Electronics, about $40. Yeah- it ain't cheap.

Description: Molex 6384-0200
Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 09:16 PM

If you fold the connector so it is parallel to the wiring it will slide down the column just fine, you don;t need to remove the modex connectors to do that.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Plymouth Duster Ignition Switch Replacement - 09/23/15 09:24 PM

But it does help to have the Key-In Buzzer wires removed from the connector.
© 2024 Moparts Forums