Moparts

New engine break-in?

Posted By: RedRamQC

New engine break-in? - 01/24/09 04:14 AM

I just had a new engine put in my Ram. The dealer service dept. said no break in is necessary, just change the oil at 3000 miles. My buddy at work insists I change the oil at 150 miles. What do you all think?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/24/09 04:30 AM

Drive it. Depending on the build it may have anti friction and scuffing additives in the oil and its better to leave them in to do their job.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 03:21 AM

Load it like a box car, drive it like a stock car. Or like you stole it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 04:05 AM

Change it. That's a time when an eng needs frequent fluid changes imnho. fresh additives/flushes contaminates, you sleep better at night cause your taking care of things right & you get to spend money
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 05:17 AM

After a week of driving just recheck your fluid levels. Change your oil in 3k. What happen to the first engine?
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 01:04 PM

If it were mine I would change that oil very early to get the metal from the break in out of the engine.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 07:44 PM

Quote:

If it were mine I would change that oil very early to get the metal from the break in out of the engine.

Thats what you have filters for. Plus if there is metal floating around in a new motor there is a problem. All new cars are driven with a new motor there is no difference from reman to new. In some cases the reman may be cleaner.It all has to do with the assembler and if he is particular on cleanliness.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats what you have filters for. Plus if there is metal floating around in a new motor there is a problem. All new cars are driven with a new motor there is no difference from reman to new. In some cases the reman may be cleaner.It all has to do with the assembler and if he is particular on cleanliness.

No breakin needed or early oil changes. Oil changes are over rated. Lot's of motor oil wasted over the years.
Posted By: Michael

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/25/09 07:49 PM

Quote:

Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 01:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

+1
Posted By: MNobody

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 01:45 AM

I've had 2 Ram's and was told to leave the oil in for 3000 miles.

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 02:02 AM

Well I picked it up Friday afternoon, have put about 90 miles on it this weekend. Checked the oil when I got home this afternoon and it was below the add line. No oil spots on the driveway either. Guess I'm calling the service dept. in the morning.

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 02:38 AM

Was it full when you got it?

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

Umm..well I didn't check. I would have assumed it was. Would they really have replaced an engine under warranty and not put enough oil in it?

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 02:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Umm..well I didn't check. I would have assumed it was. Would they really have replaced an engine under warranty and not put enough oil in it?

Stranger things have happened...I would think it would be smokin pretty bad to burn over a quart of oil in 90 miles.
Posted By: gch

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 03:17 AM

On a new engine or after a cam swap I will drive the engine long enough to get it hot several times and then change the oil and filter.Then I resume normal intervals.Piece of mind goes a long way.
I would document this with the service dept to aid in any future warranty considerations should you have a problem.
Posted By: 72dak

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/26/09 08:47 AM

one thing you should do for sure is reduce idle time to a minimum. ive seen 2 engines burn oil really bad because of ecxessive idling after a fresh rebuild

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/29/09 07:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stranger things have happened...I would think it would be smokin pretty bad to burn over a quart of oil in 90 miles.

Well I took it back in Monday morning just so they could confirm it was low and to top it back off. The service advisor assured me that they put 6 quarts in, but according to my itemized bill, they only put in 5 No problems since.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: New engine break-in? - 01/29/09 02:01 PM

If your engine is a service replacement,the breakin would be the same as when your truck was new.If so,read your owners manual.
© 2024 Moparts Forums