Moparts

cam install inside car?

Posted By: pettyblue440

cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 04:35 PM

is it possible to install a cam in a 383 in a 69 bee w/o removing the engine? thanks, jon
Posted By: buildanother

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 04:41 PM

Yes. Might have to remove vertical support along with radiator. You can eyeball the cam bearings too while cam is out. They may look a bit beat but for sure, make sure the oiling holes are clear.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 04:58 PM

I would probably have the grill out too
Posted By: Steve88

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 05:01 PM

I recently did a cam swap in my 71RR with a 383 with the engine installed and it went pretty well. I am not sure about the differences between a 69 and 71. I just had to remove the radiator to get the clearnace to remove the cam and install the new new one. The only tricky part was getting the balancer bolt properly torqued. I made a bar out of scrap 1" square tubing and 3/16" plate and bolted it to the balancer so that it would contact the shop floor and prevent the crankshaft from roatating will I tightened the balancer bolt.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 05:05 PM

No Super Bee exp (A body only) but I just measured my Summitt cam for you & it is 22 & 3/4" long. grab your tape/pop the hood & go from there
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 05:09 PM

Yes its not a problem
Posted By: therocks

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 05:13 PM

Did the one in my Bee years ago.Removed rad and that was it.You do have to finess it out and back in but it does go.Rocky
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By therocks
Did the one in my Bee years ago.Removed rad and that was it.You do have to finess it out and back in but it does go.Rocky
iagreeI did a in car cam change on a 1967 GTX, I had to slide it around the center hood support. I have a freind who use to help a freind race a 1967 GTX and they change cams many times, he also has several 1968 and later B body that he has swapped cams in in the car, there're much easier he says shruggy
Posted By: pettyblue440

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 07:11 PM

thanks guys. the car has 50k and the engine has never been torn into. i plan on putting a timing chain in at some point so may add the cam while i am in there.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 07:32 PM

This article gives you some tips on cam swapping without pulling the engine:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/Lobe.html
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 07:54 PM

I have a 69 Bee , only need to pull the radiator.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: cam install inside car? - 09/02/15 08:21 PM

Did a cam swap on my '66 Charger in the parking lot at work. Didn't really have a safe place to get it done. Broke it in, changed the oil, and I was on my way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums