Moparts

early bbody oil pan options,?

Posted By: lewtot184

early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/26/15 11:08 PM

what options are there out there for an early b-body? i'm looking for something 6qts, not 7" deep. something similar to a factory pan or a factory re-pop that doesn't hang several inches below the k-member. all i see is stuff for a later chassis. i have a milodon road race pan but thinking of not using it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 01:08 AM

As you probably know, the early B engine sits further forward than the later B's so the sump position if further back which somewhat limits pan selection.

The Max Wedge pan is the best choice but the price/availability are a major factor.

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

As you probably know, the early B engine sits further forward than the later B's so the sump position if further back which somewhat limits pan selection.

The Max Wedge pan is the best choice but the price/availability are a major factor.
yep. they are more of a true center sump. max wedge 6qt pan would be perfect, if money were perfect.
Posted By: therocks

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 03:48 AM

Ive run a Moroso 8 qt on the 440 in my 65 for 20 years.Its listed for a 66 up B body but still fit.I did take a tiny notch from the K on rt side just to have a bit more clearance.Mine sits pretty low in front and Ive never had a problem street driven.I could have gotten by not taking the small notch from the K but it just felt better to me.Rocky
Posted By: 383man

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 05:24 AM

I also use a Moroso 7qt pan on my 63 and it has alot of road clearance. I have never had the pan hit anything and I have been driving it on the road since 2006. It fit with no K-frame mods at all as it cleared everything. Ron

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 01:24 PM

i'm trying to avoid the deep sumps that hang below the k-member a few inches.
Posted By: therocks

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 03:51 PM

Ron mine fit but was close to the K.I trimmed just a tiny bit to get more clearance.At the time the lousy rubber mount tore a lot.Now with polys no movement and no worrys.Rocky
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By lewtot184

yep. they are more of a true center sump. max wedge 6qt pan would be perfect, if money were perfect.

John,how about one that was free ? rolleyes

Attached picture Picture 096.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/27/15 06:08 PM

My last one was free too but it took a lot of Bondo to make it presentable.

Attached picture Maxpan.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/28/15 06:03 AM

i'm trying to avoid the deep sumps that hang below the k-member a few inches.

I can understand that and dont blame you. Since I race mine sometimes I wanted the extra few qts in the pan. Ron
Posted By: GY3

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/28/15 02:08 PM

7 quart 440 Source pan here.

Very minor clearancing on the right front of the K frame is required.

Very nice pan for the money.

Re: early bbody oil pan options,? - 08/28/15 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

John,how about one that was free ? rolleyes
bow
© 2024 Moparts Forums