Moparts

Are big & small blocks the same flywheel?

Posted By: express

Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 02:27 AM

Friend called me & his 440 with steel crank is ready for the dyno. It will be an auto car but shop need a flywheel to hook it to the dyno. Shop says any small block or big block flywheel will work for this.

Now I know that 360's & cast crank flywheels won't work but will a 340 work on a 440?

Thanks!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 02:33 AM

There are several OEM 6 bolt A motor internally balanced motors, 273,318,340, 130 tooth nuetral balance flywheels that will work on either the BB, 426 Hemi and B and RB internally balanced motors, same on the internally balanced motors with the larger 143 tooth flywheels up The key is internally balanced motors using a nuetral balanced flywheel, aluminum, stee, 130 or 143 tooth thumbs IHTHs
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 02:49 AM

I don't know if this will help you or not but my internally balanced 408 small block uses the same powerglide flex plate as my big blocks. Lots of used outdated sfi flex plates are bought for this purpose

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 02:49 AM

Soooooo, It will work?

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
There are several OEM 6 bolt 130 tooth nuetral balance flywheels that will work on either the BB, 426 Hemi and B and RB internally balanced motors, same on the internally balanced motors with the larger 143 tooth flywheels up The key is internally balanced motors using a nuetral balanced flywheel, aluminum, stee, 130 or 143 tooth thumbs IHTHs

So if he gets any 6 bolt flywheel that is for an internally balanced motor it will work?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 03:28 AM

In a word, YES! Any 6-bolt internally balanced flywheel will work. wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By express
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
There are several OEM 6 bolt 130 tooth nuetral balance flywheels that will work on either the BB, 426 Hemi and B and RB internally balanced motors, same on the internally balanced motors with the larger 143 tooth flywheels up The key is internally balanced motors using a nuetral balanced flywheel, aluminum, stee, 130 or 143 tooth thumbs IHTHs

So if he gets any 6 bolt flywheel that is for an internally balanced motor it will work?
upI messed up and forgot to include A motor flywheels on my original post, sorry blush See the post now with the edit, Rhinodart is correct bow
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 06:05 PM

That's what that spare 318 sitting in the corner is for.

R.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
In a word, YES! Any 6-bolt internally balanced flywheel will work. wave

YEs ASSuMEing the 440 in question is also internal balance ... which the OP never says ...
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/24/15 11:02 PM

10.5" - 130 tooth - YES
11" - 143 tooth - YES (they did come on some LA truck motors)
11" - 172 tooth (Hemi 66-67) - NO

What # of teeth does this dyno already use is the BIG question. If 130T, then get a 10.5" and you're good to go.

Re: Are big & small blocks the same flywheel? - 08/26/15 02:28 AM

OK thanks for all of the help! Now I know what to tell him.
© 2024 Moparts Forums