Moparts

alternator magnet test

Posted By: mopartuner

alternator magnet test - 08/22/15 07:43 PM

If a wrench doesn't get pulled into the back of the alternator it means its no good......why?is there any other reason this isn't magnetized?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/22/15 08:27 PM

Don't think that's correct. Alternator generates alternating current then rectifies through diodes.
Posted By: don miller

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/22/15 08:40 PM

The back of the alternator (stator shaft) becomes magnetic when the fields are energized-in other words when the alternator is charging
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/22/15 08:47 PM

No juice from the regulator = no magetism = no charge.
Posted By: keefe

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/22/15 11:28 PM

If I remember correctly.. if the alternator is good it will cause a magnetic field regardless of the voltage regulators condition. That's how we use to trouble shoot a bad alt. or reg.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/23/15 02:21 PM

Always used a meter.

Didn't realize the stator shaft poles when charging.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/23/15 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By mopartuner
If a wrench doesn't get pulled into the back of the alternator it means its no good......why?is there any other reason this isn't magnetized?

If it pulls, it means everything is working. If it doesn't, there is a problem, but it doesn't tell you where. Could be alternator, regulator, field wiring or B+. Just a quick Good/No good check.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/23/15 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Originally Posted By mopartuner

If it pulls, it means everything is working. If it doesn't, there is a problem, but it doesn't tell you where. Could be alternator, regulator, field wiring or B+. Just a quick Good/No good check.

I never heard of the test of if its magnetic its good.. you
have to energize the field to create the field... I always
use to try a full field test first at the regulator.. if it
works then change the reg.... a vom can test a lot of things
wave
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/23/15 05:30 PM

Try putting a screwdriver blade to the back of any alternator. It will always pull down on a working charging system. This is old school I learned from my first boss when I was in the gas stations and regular gas was still available (am I showing my age a little?).
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: alternator magnet test - 08/23/15 06:33 PM

Keep in mind...
That an alternator may still have some output but be below spec...
Put a voltmeter on it, should have 13.5-14.5V output. If U dont have a voltmeter, check with Harbor Freight they have a give-away one or sells for $5..

Just my $0.02... wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums