Moparts

Installing vinyl stripe questions

Posted By: HemiStan

Installing vinyl stripe questions - 08/21/15 03:25 PM

I am going to install the stripe on my Super Bee this afternoon. I was reading the instructions and it states to leave the paper on the stripe for approximately 3 hours after installation before removing it to allow for proper adhesion.
I have installed a few stripes and I do not ever remember having to leave the paper on for three hours before removing it.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Stan
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Installing vinyl stripe questions - 08/21/15 03:55 PM

Seems the manufacture would best know how to apply there own product.
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: Installing vinyl stripe questions - 08/23/15 01:47 PM

That is basically to allow any moisture that may still be in there to evaporate and to prevent an amateur/novice from doing something bad. I do vinyl graphics for a living and never leave the paper on because I know "the feel" of the material and don't worry about ruining the graphics by lifting/stretching the material away from the car while removing the transfer tape. I've had plenty of do-it-yourself people come to me and watch me do it and say, "man, you make it look so easy, I already ruined one set of graphics trying to do it myself."
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Installing vinyl stripe questions - 08/23/15 03:35 PM

Best advice for a first time I can give is : Don't pull the paper off straight up perpendicular to the car's surface..Angle it back almost against itself while peeling the paper it has less of a chance to lift the decal....
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Installing vinyl stripe questions - 08/23/15 05:15 PM

I've done a lot of stripes and this is good advice to remove at a sharp angle. Also never wait three hours
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Installing vinyl stripe questions - 08/23/15 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By ChallengerGary
That is basically to allow any moisture that may still be in there to evaporate and to prevent an amateur/novice from doing something bad. I do vinyl graphics for a living and never leave the paper on because I know "the feel" of the material and don't worry about ruining the graphics by lifting/stretching the material away from the car while removing the transfer tape. I've had plenty of do-it-yourself people come to me and watch me do it and say, "man, you make it look so easy, I already ruined one set of graphics trying to do it myself."

I've done a bunch of large decal work at work on work trucks and usually leave the transfer tape on anywhere from an hour to over night before peeling it off.

Then I watched my painter friend apply some stripe decals and he sprayed the transfer tape with Rapid Tac application fluid to release it right away.

It seemed to work real well and I was going to use it on the stripes you sent me? Sound OK?
© 2024 Moparts Forums