Moparts

Steering shaft length question

Posted By: PUNK

Steering shaft length question - 05/29/08 01:11 AM

Does anyone happen to know the differance in length between a manual steering shaft and a power steering shaft? Im converting over to power steering on a Challenger and want to know the differance. I was told to just collapse the steering shaft to shorten it up. But by how much??
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Steering shaft length question - 05/29/08 01:27 AM

I sure wouldn't do that. That will take the strength out of the column. Rather cut it and have a good machine shop make a splice. Can be done safely and non noticeable.
Posted By: polkat

Re: Steering shaft length question - 05/29/08 01:30 AM

The manual column is something like 2" longer. Trying to shorten the power column by collapsing it won't work because you need a shorter section out in front of the firewall, which doesn't change when the shaft collapses. Best to find a power column in the boneyard.
Posted By: ply426

Re: Steering shaft length question - 05/30/08 04:01 AM

I've done it a couple of times... worked fine....
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Steering shaft length question - 05/30/08 01:37 PM

A manual shaft will collapse just fine. I have done it a number of times. It's not a good idea to try and stretch a P/S shaft to fit a manual set up.
Posted By: BPDodge

Re: Steering shaft length question - 09/22/10 03:41 AM

according to a genuine old mopar parts catalog I have,the power steering shaft is 3.1 inches shorter than the manual shaft. The 2 measurments are listed to 3 decimal points.

I am going to cut the shaft that measurment and drill the roll pin hole with a hardened bit. It looks like it will fit perfectly.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Steering shaft length question - 09/22/10 04:49 AM

one adv of early A's, the 1 piece inner steering shafts directly interchange in the column. going w PS on my 65 dart & just need the shorter inner shaft & the different coupler
© 2024 Moparts Forums