Moparts

please help me remove my steering box

Posted By: Nick Mineau

please help me remove my steering box - 01/21/09 10:59 PM

hi
i am trying to replace my p/s box on my 76 duster and need some directions on how to do this. so far i disconnected the lines + 3 main bolts + the pitman arm nut on the drag link. what elese needs to be done. how do i uncouple the steering coloumb? thanks nick
Posted By: GKMOPAR

Re: please help me remove my steering box - 01/22/09 12:07 AM

Nick, on all the ones I have done there is a roll pin inside a hole on the side of the coupler. Take a metal drift slightly smaller than the hole and drive out the roll pin. Now you can pull the coupler off of the splines on the gear box. There is a flat spot on the splines so there is only one way it will slide together when you reassemble it. Hope that helps. Gerry.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: please help me remove my steering box - 01/22/09 03:04 AM

I am going to add to the previous post that the steering column must be completely taken loose from the firewall and dash so it can slide backward with the shaft/ coupler when you pry it off the steering box.
If you dont loosen the column the shaft will collapse and break the safety coupling inside the column.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: please help me remove my steering box - 01/22/09 03:34 AM

Samr as above - make sure to either use a pin punch or a flat punch on the roll pin. Don't use something pointy like an awl or it'll expand the pin.
© 2024 Moparts Forums