Moparts

Brake shoe differences

Posted By: project74

Brake shoe differences - 01/21/09 12:21 AM

I've noticed that depending on the manufacturer/supplier, some rear 11" brake shoes have a square spring adjuster hole at the top of the shoe and some have a round adjuster hole. Bendix and Raybestos both list rear, 11" shoes for a '70 but with this one difference. Would it really make any difference which shoe is used when doing a brake job? Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake shoe differences - 01/21/09 01:14 AM

You mean the hole where the parking brake actuating lever(the vertical one) pivot pin come thru the shoe web? I'm thinking that there was a change in that hole from 76-77 & the shoes with the later style hole/opening would fit onto the earlier hardware.
Posted By: CHRYCOFAN

Re: Brake shoe differences - 01/21/09 06:22 PM

If this is the issue then I would say no.

Seen this twice now where they substitute the later shoes, holes too big for the early E-brake arm. Later arm hooks in & the slot is too big for the pin on the early arm. You could use the later arm with these & everything else would fit fine.

I'd take em' back & see if the next set is correct, usually I can get the correct ones on the next try.

Butch
Posted By: RobR

Re: Brake shoe differences - 01/21/09 06:35 PM

There's no problem with using the new style 445 shoe in place of the early style 335 shoe...the only difference is the slot for the parking brake leaver and a larger hole for the adj spring.
Posted By: project74

Re: Brake shoe differences - 01/22/09 01:00 AM

Thanks guys. Now to get my unmotivated self off my backside and get it done before the snow melts away
© 2024 Moparts Forums