Moparts

'62 Chrysler 300 brake drums?

Posted By: Grassosgarage

'62 Chrysler 300 brake drums? - 07/03/15 04:03 AM

Anybody know where I can find good drums for a '62 Chrysler 300? Does anybody recondition them?
Posted By: ahy

Re: '62 Chrysler 300 brake drums? - 07/03/15 01:50 PM

A machine shop that does brakes can re-surface them. There is a max recommended diameter that should not be exceeded... usually its stamped somewhere on the part.

When you look for a machine shop, look for one that does lots. Sometimes a small repair shop will have an old brake lathe in the back room and do a few... but may not do the best job.

As far as new I don't know.
Posted By: LO23

Re: '62 Chrysler 300 brake drums? - 07/03/15 03:11 PM

http://www.atlaschrys.com/Late/Brakes/LateBrakeDrums.html
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: '62 Chrysler 300 brake drums? - 07/04/15 04:23 AM

Also while you are at it, find a shop that has the now almost obsolete "arc" grinding equipment to properly conform your brake shoes to your newly enlarged brake drums.

Kinda went the way of the Dodo Bird when disc brakes took over and the gubberment decided that asbestos was not good for your lungs.

Anyone remember the first thing you would do when you pulled the hubs off these old cars that had abestos shoes,,,,that's right, reach for the air gun. What masks, I don't need any mask!
Posted By: therocks

Re: '62 Chrysler 300 brake drums? - 07/04/15 06:20 PM

If its the same as my kids 62 was it has 12 inch brakes.Drums are tough to find.I think he might still have a set of new shoes and maybe 1 rear drum as we changed rear ends.He might even have 2 rear drums.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums