Moparts

Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body

Posted By: 7812845

Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/24/15 05:56 PM

My installer with 20 years experience is having mega trouble trying to get the windshield installed in the car. Almost seems like either gasket is too small or the glass is too big. Any ideas? flame fan
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/24/15 06:08 PM

Seriously, get another installer, someone who's actually worked on these cars 40 years ago, most glass installers don't have a clue on installing B body gasketed, folding lock strip windshields

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/24/15 06:36 PM

Actually he has done these before. I'm just questioning the crappy after market parts. I'm not sure there is any installer in this area with that experience. But I do greatly value your opinion and input. Thanks
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/24/15 06:56 PM

Some 4 door windshields are different heights than the 2 doors on some cars, so run the number to double check the application.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/24/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Some 4 door windshields are different heights than the 2 doors on some cars, so run the number to double check the application.

There is a difference in heights in 69 B body 4 door and 2 door cars. The 4 door being taller.
Posted By: sixty9bee

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/25/15 01:29 AM

had the same problem on my car. 2 different windshields of different brands and 2 new gaskets of different brands. no combination would work. the installer has been doing glass for bout 35 years. the lock strip kept opening on its own. finally went back to the old gasket which had been replaced in the 90's. both windshields would work with the old gasket. good luck

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/25/15 03:14 AM

Maybe I should ask who makes the best after market windshield gasket.
Posted By: Wagonman1967

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/25/15 03:46 AM

Now I am worried, just got a new gasket for my 68 restore. Long way for glass install though.
Posted By: cmansell

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/25/15 03:54 AM

Use the Metro gasket.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 03:43 AM

Metro gasket arrives tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 06:39 AM

Just had the windshield installed in my 69 Charger last year. Seems like I used a Precision gasket and new glass from PGW.

It was a real pain to install, the installer specialized in old car installs, and he was struggling. His theory is that the opening shrinks a bit when the car sits without a glass in it for years...He used glass cleaner to lube the glass to slide in the gasket.

Attached picture DSC01447.jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By sthemi
Just had the windshield installed in my 69 Charger last year. Seems like I used a Precision gasket and new glass from PGW.

It was a real pain to install, the installer specialized in old car installs, and he was struggling. His theory is that the opening shrinks a bit when the car sits without a glass in it for years...He used glass cleaner to lube the glass to slide in the gasket.

His theory is that the opening shrinks ????? WHAT?
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 02:54 PM

I kinda thought that too when I read it, maybe metal acts different up north. I'm gonna go with inferior aftermarket parts. twocents
Posted By: 2abodymcodes

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 02:59 PM

my glass guy uses nothing but Precision brand gaskets. He always wants the gasket removed from the package and hanging up for at least a week in advance. i just hook mine on a nail in the wall as soon as it arrives.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 03:16 PM

We also will set them out in the sun around here which I sure helps.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By 5carguy

His theory is that the opening shrinks ????? WHAT?

Now that is a new one... Sounds like some brain shrinkage from old age to me...

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/26/15 07:32 PM

Went to precision gasket website, put in 69 coronet windshield gasket and it returned no results found. shruggy

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/27/15 04:51 PM

While I agree it is unlikely that the opening size changed, my car sat for 20 years with no glass in it. The windshield is a part of the structure of the roof..
Anyway, that is what the guy said...
The new glass is about 1/4 thinner than the factory stuff as well.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/27/15 09:35 PM

While I agree it is unlikely that the opening size changed, my car sat for 20 years with no glass in it. The windshield is a part of the structure of the roof..
Anyway, that is what the guy said...
The new glass is about 1/4 thinner than the factory stuff as well.

Not in your era of cars.. The "windshield is part of the structure" thing came out later 74-75 so cars could be lightened for fuel mileage. This "structure concept" was about rollover accidents. BOGUS that a broken WS is going to add any structure to a roof.. The door glass, backglass, yes until they explode ( tempered glass)....

1/4 " thinner? there is no way.. Installed thousands myself and there is just not enough glass to start with to subtract that much from the thickness....
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/28/15 04:06 AM

I think he means 25% thinner.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/28/15 04:24 AM

Received the new gasket from Metro on Friday, and it sure feels different than the other one I have. Hopefully we'll know come Monday morning.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/28/15 04:27 AM

Probably meant a 1/4 inch shorter, seems that would make it easier to install though.

Good luck, make sure to give the final resolution please.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/29/15 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By pushbutton
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA

There is a difference in heights in 69 B body 4 door and 2 door cars. The 4 door being taller.

A 4 door windshield wouldn't even come close to the gasket in a 2 door frame... it's more than a small difference.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/29/15 07:13 AM

correct 25% thinner.

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/29/15 08:06 PM

correct 25% thinner.

My mistake.. That sounds better...

Re: Trouble installing windshield in 69 b body - 06/30/15 02:28 AM

25% thinner???? Maybe that's why they don't take much pressure till they break. Now on to the third windshield since one and two have broken. Some days it just doesn't pay to get up. shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums