Moparts

Help me pick a timing light

Posted By: Ramrod39

Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 04:32 AM

My old reliable dial back Snap on timing light quit working. I need a replacement. I want one I can roll the advance setting into and then read the timing marks at zero. For instance, if I want 10 degrees of initial timing, I simply enter 10 degrees in my light and and turn the distributor until the timing marks read TDC.

I can't tell from reading the ads on these new-fangled light (yes, I'm becoming an old fart) if that is the case with them. Will this one do what I want? Is it easy to use? Any other suggestions on a timing light?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ino-3568/overview/
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 04:35 AM

I am right there with you. I lost all my tune-up equipment in my garage fire and I need to buy a new timing light, I will be watching this thread!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 04:50 AM

Not sure of a brand but I'd suggest stepping up & getting a dialback with a tach in the gun. You'll like it for serious curve mapping
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 05:50 AM

Do you use an MSD ignition? Some timing lights do NOT work w MSD.

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 06:17 AM

Yes, needs to work with MSD.
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 02:11 PM

That looks like the one i picked up after my trusty sears lite crapped out. I thinkmine has the dwell also,
Posted By: m88mark

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 03:38 PM

My dial back quit also. Bought OTC 3367,brite lite & flashlite button (handy). Still have to read instructions, but I still use a flip phone! Mark.
Originally Posted By Ramrod39
My old reliable dial back Snap on timing light quit working. I need a replacement. I want one I can roll the advance setting into and then read the timing marks at zero. For instance, if I want 10 degrees of initial timing, I simply enter 10 degrees in my light and and turn the distributor until the timing marks read TDC.

I can't tell from reading the ads on these new-fangled light (yes, I'm becoming an old fart) if that is the case with them. Will this one do what I want? Is it easy to use? Any other suggestions on a timing light?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ino-3568/overview/
Posted By: skicker

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/27/15 06:20 PM

I've never had any problems using my Snap on light with MSD. I've always used Taylor wires...I guess it is 20 years old now...not looking forward to having to replace it anytime soon... cry
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/28/15 04:01 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craftsman-...622&vxp=mtr

This is the kind I use. It works like a charm and is plenty bright.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/28/15 04:38 PM

I don`t know about these new modern timing lights but my old craftsman dial back works fine with MSD.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/28/15 04:45 PM

I have bought and thrown away a few of the "NEW FANGLED" JUNK lights. they seem to work for about a year and then get flaky. Currently using and older mac light that does well. The craftsman lights seem to have good reviews so maybe I'll try one of those next. At least with an extended warranty you can take them back twocents
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/28/15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
I don`t know about these new modern timing lights but my old craftsman dial back works fine with MSD.

That is the one that I have and the last time it was used the inductive clamp melted a little to the header...but it still works just fine. up
Posted By: TJP

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/28/15 06:57 PM

Quote:
and the last time it was used the inductive clamp melted a little to the header

Just a comment, one of my pet peeves is the manufacturers use low temp materials on the pickup clamps and leads to save a couple of $$. I would gladly pay another 20.00 for decent materials down
Posted By: Sir Valiant

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/29/15 01:51 AM

I need a new light too, reading the reviews on the Innova 3568 both on Summit and Amazon, I think I'll be going with that one. $20. cheaper on Amazon as a heads up!!

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3568-Digita...rds=INNOVA+3568
Posted By: Fab64

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/29/15 04:57 PM

I've had this Craftsman light for a few years, and it seems to work correctly with my MSD ignition:

Craftsman timing light

Good luck.

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/30/15 02:49 AM

Got tired of thinking about this and needed a light. I decided to take a chance on this one. Simple. Analog. Less that $50 delivered. Hopefully, I'll like it.

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3555-Advanc...rds=innova+3555
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/30/15 08:16 AM

I bought the best one Innova has, the 5568. It is awesome, it has many helpful functions, but they are really easy to use. Acts like a mini engine analyzer. Reads Tach, V, dwell, it works with multi-fire ignition boxes like MSD, and the best of course is the digital advance/retard knob. It has a shock proof casing, and comes in a nice sturdy carrying case. It's fancy but not over the top with options the average mechanic wont use. Im really impressed with mine
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/30/15 08:34 AM

The reviews on the 5568 on Amazon have a shocking number of them that failed after 3-4 uses. I was gonna buy one till I saw these 1 star reviews.
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Help me pick a timing light - 05/30/15 08:52 AM

Havent had a single problem with mine. If something went wrong though it comes with a pretty good warranty
© 2024 Moparts Forums