Moparts

small block questions

Posted By: gch

small block questions - 05/14/15 09:05 PM

I am about to switch my 318 to a 360 in my 1987 D150.I have a few questions.

Run the stock 84 heads(reman motor) or use the 302's from the 318 for more compression/better chamber?I would use the larger intake valve if not equipped.

What is needed for swapping a hyd roller into the 84 block?Is it as expensive to convert as a big block?

I have other questions but will make new threads so I don't have one giant muddled thread.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: small block questions - 05/14/15 10:31 PM

(1) I'd go with the 302's home ported or even better would be some mags. (2) I ain't up on them. EDIT better even yet would be to build a quench motor (yourself or a skilled friend) plus reman quality can be crap
Posted By: gch

Re: small block questions - 05/15/15 01:48 AM

For the price I am getting it for it doesn't make sense to buy a used motor with high miles.I have a local machinist who will strip it and check it out for peanuts.

This is somewhat of a budget(lol) build.Already picked up some coated headers for a good deal and got an aluminum intake for free.

Cam will be my next decision.I would love to go hyd roller if all the 318 stuff would swap over and all I had to do was buy a cam.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: small block questions - 05/15/15 01:50 AM

Given two bad choices use the 302 heads, they are closed chamber so you could use quench pistons with them. Both the 84 heads and the later 302 will have smaller (273-318) intake ports and either will be a bottle neck in 360's breathing without a lot of porting work.

Yes, a hydraulic roller in an 84 360 block will be just as expensive as a big block.

Since you are interested in better heads and a roller cam, have you looked into finding a 5.9 magnum engine? Good flowing closed chamber heads, less expensive roller cam option since the factory roller parts work fine for all but high rev engines.
© 2024 Moparts Forums