Moparts

ThermoQuad: Need De-Smog Modification Procedures

Posted By: D_C

ThermoQuad: Need De-Smog Modification Procedures - 05/13/15 07:25 PM

Carter Thermoquad off a '79 Dodge Diplomat 318. The carb P/N is 9245S.

Does anyone know What modifications need to be made for use on a non-smog equipment engine?

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: '78-'84 Thermoquad, Smog Removal Modifications? - 05/13/15 08:28 PM

I saw this earlier post. Wondered if there was any better advice about what to remove, drill, fill in, etc?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5018785/site_id/1

Re: '78-'84 Thermoquad, Smog Removal Modifications? - 05/14/15 09:32 AM

I heard the DemonSizzler went out of business. Wondered if anyone knows procedures for modifying the Top and Base plates?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: '78-'84 Thermoquad, Smog Removal Modifications? - 05/14/15 07:01 PM

I'm not going to be of much help, but I recall reading from Demonsizzler back in the day that the internal bleeds and feed passages were of different diameters on the smogger versus non smogger thermoquads and that there was more to it than just plugging certain passages. Whether that's true or part of the sales pitch I don't know.

Have you tried looking into what a pre-smog thermoquad is worth? IIRC number starts with a 6 instead of a 9. I have a pre-smog 440 thermoquad and ran it on my 440 as a daily driver for years. Ran great!
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: '78-'84 Thermoquad, Smog Removal Modifications? - 05/14/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By D_C
I heard the DemonSizzler went out of business. Wondered if anyone knows procedures for modifying the Top and Base plates?

That's really too bad, he should write a book I would buy the first one or 2.

Re: '78-'84 Thermoquad, Smog Removal Modifications? - 05/14/15 09:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. Every bit of information helps. Thanks Again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums