Moparts

popping sound out of exhaust

Posted By: WV Runner

popping sound out of exhaust - 05/11/15 02:20 AM

Well I finally got to put some good miles on the car this weekend. I do have an issue, it only happens once I get over 2,000rpms, I get a pop out of the exhaust. Would it be the timing is out? I did move it maybe a degree both ways and it didn't help the issue. Or maybe the carb is going bad? I know of a guy that had an issue with popping through the carb last year, adjusted the timing like crazy didn't help. he got a new carb and it fixed the issue. any ideas?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: popping sound out of exhaust - 05/11/15 02:38 AM

I'd start with checking plugs/wires/reluctor gap/rotor phasing, anything in the secondary ign that could cause a miss at speed
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: popping sound out of exhaust - 05/11/15 05:22 AM

If the ignition checks out then you may want to check and see if it is runny lean. What do the plugs look like?
Posted By: TJP

Re: popping sound out of exhaust - 05/11/15 04:04 PM

Had one in the shop recently with leaky header gaskets due to mismatched port sizes. New gaskets and the problem went away. beer
Posted By: Grassosgarage

Re: popping sound out of exhaust - 05/14/15 04:37 AM

have somebody stand behind the car and figure which side the popping is from. pull the valve cover on that side and look for a bent pushrod or broken valve spring or rocker on one of the exhaust valves. worst case you wiped a cam lobe or lifter. usually that will cause it to pop back through the carb though. I'd say bent pushrod.
© 2024 Moparts Forums