Moparts

Do I need to shorten my driveshaft?

Posted By: gts1

Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/10/15 06:26 PM

Went to install my driveshaft today & I only have about 1/2in of play before it bottoms out in the trans.Is this enough or do I need to have it shortened.If so how much.18 spline 4 speed Dana 60 if it matters.
Thanks
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/10/15 06:52 PM

Generally 3/4" to 1" is the norm...IMHO 1/2" is really pushing it, should it bottom out on on suspension travel it may crack the tailshaft, is that 1/2" you have without the end seal boot/lip?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/10/15 08:45 PM

me too I think 1/2" is pushing it exp with a stick. Very likely you could move the eng/trans forward a hair & shim the front rear spring shackles back a bit to gain enough (3/4" is good) WO having to redo the shaft

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/11/15 01:30 AM

Thanks for the replys,That 1/2in is with the end seal/boot installed.can't shime the rear spring hangers because the car has an inboard spring relocation kit installed.

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/11/15 02:29 AM

I was assuming it was the common flat aftermarket seal. With the one you have if you butt the shaft all the way forward do you have 1/2" or more than 1/2"?
Posted By: BDW

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/11/15 03:12 AM

How does it look compared to this? As mentioned, if you have the long boot, you're ok.

Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/11/15 03:18 AM

hi gts,is the full weight of car on suspension or on jackstands? ronnie

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/11/15 11:10 PM

Thanks guys,
I have the long boot like what's pictured above.
That's with the car sitting on all four wheels.
Think it will be OK?

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/11/15 11:30 PM

butt the shaft forward & see if you have 3/4-7/8" play cuz that is what those parts will enounter & if so you're good. iirc with that type you're already set but I would check unless someone chimes in that you are OK from the pic/descrip
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Do I need to shorten my driveshaft? - 05/12/15 04:31 AM

Unless you have something extreme like a car sitting super high in the rear and driving it compresses things alot. Less than 1/2 will work.

When the front leaf spring is parallel with the rocker panels. This is just about as forward as the yoke will ever be. Now lift the car by the frame and allow the springs hang until the shock absorbers reach their limit. Not many circumstances will allow the yoke to go in further than that.

I had a leaf sprung Dodge truck. With grease smeared on the yoke. I drove it, raced it, power shifted it, towed a trailer with it and found 1/4" of travel witness by the grease line.
© 2024 Moparts Forums