Moparts

does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges?

Posted By: toplescuda

does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 07:11 PM

Shop is putting the hood back on the 71 charger (car just painted) he told me the hinges were wore out. I see amd dont make them. Does anyone rebuild (mine)?
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 07:21 PM

SMS Auto Restoration Services LLC
42 Manchester Road
Derry NH 03038

1-800-989-6660
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 07:23 PM

http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=2
Posted By: D_C

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 07:46 PM

Depending on the quoted price for restoration... would think you could find decent used replacement hinges from an auto dismantler, eBay, swap meet, etc.

Granted, hood hinges do wear like everything else, but not as much as many other automotive parts.

I see a pair on eBay right now for $85, albeit that they should be stripped and repainted. Depending on condition, unless they are in as bad a shape as your current ones. Also, not sure but there may be good parts interchange with other Mopar vehicles (like trucks, Satellites, etc.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-74-B-Body-R...b09&vxp=mtr

Seems to me that the '71/'72 hinges are not the same as the '73 / '74 style.

Description: Hood Hinges
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 07:47 PM

Restorick did the ones on my '71 GTX and the turn around was fast and the quality was great.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 08:31 PM

70440+6bbl what did it run to have yours rebuilt?
The problem with buy a set of used ones. They may as bad if not worse then the ones I already have...
Posted By: formula_s

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
42 Manchester Road
Derry NH 03038

1-800-989-6660

Only send your hinges to this guy if you want him to keep them and send back another pair and then lie about it. Bon Jour.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 09:18 PM

send them to resto rick
i was happy with the ones he did for me.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 09:21 PM

Around $200 with return shipping.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/29/15 10:20 PM

Try this first: put a hinge pin on an anvil and use a 2 pound sledge to swell the hinge shaft into a larger diameter. Be judicious in hitting the pin, lighter whacks at first, then increase the force until you start to see an improvement in reduced slop.

Used this on my 7os hinges and they now are like new.

Won't hurt to try....
Joe
Posted By: RJS

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 04/30/15 02:01 AM

RestoRick did mine, couldn't be happier. Fast and inexpensive.
I used to use SMS but the last set I had done had a problem on one and when I called them the guy treated me like dirt. I must of had 3 sets done by them over the years, no more.
RestoRick will do mine till the end of time!!!
Ron
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 07/29/15 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By formula_s
Originally Posted By RS23U1G
42 Manchester Road
Derry NH 03038

1-800-989-6660

Only send your hinges to this guy if you want him to keep them and send back another pair and then lie about it. Bon Jour.

You guys must be talking about another SMS. The one I spent almost a grand with has no other unhappy customers.

I had a long discussion this morning with Rod at a company named SMS about 4 pairs of hood hinges I sent to him. I'm not happy with the results at all and I let him know it. He claims that the rest of his customers are happy and I'm the only one to have a complaint about his work. By the way, all of my hinges were bead blasted in-house here, then engraved with markings on the back side before shipping out. All of the markings have since vanished. I don't think I paid extra to have my identifying markings removed.

Posted By: RestoRick

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 01/06/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By jlatessa
Try this first: put a hinge pin on an anvil and use a 2 pound sledge to swell the hinge shaft into a larger diameter. Be judicious in hitting the pin, lighter whacks at first, then increase the force until you start to see an improvement in reduced slop.

Used this on my 7os hinges and they now are like new.

Won't hurt to try....
Joe

You can do this, however it doesn't address the mesh of the teeth. Every set of hinges I've rebuilt needs welding & fitting of the teeth, even ones that have minimal slop in the pins. The teeth were production stamped with poor fit from day one.

As for hammering the rivet/pins, it will work to a certain degree, however, because you're dealing with a somewhat egg shaped wear the slop will return quicker than properly reamed holes with new pins.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: does anyone rebuild 71 b body hood hinges? - 01/06/16 05:11 PM

SMS did a e-brake assy for me years ago. All I`m going to say is not again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums