Moparts

noisy engine on startup Hemi

Posted By: moparmikethree

noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 03:54 AM

I have a 2006 1500 with a Hemi. Just today started engine and it was noisy like no oil pressure. Looked at gauge and had good pressure. Noise lasted about 20 seconds and went away.. Oil level good. Oil was changed about 1000 miles ago. Does this engine have an oil pressure timing chain tensioner? What's your thought
Posted By: rowin4

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 04:12 AM

What brand of oil filter was put on?

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 04:13 AM

Purolator. What should I use
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 04:59 AM

I had a later (81 up) hyd lifter /6 that would do that same exact thing regularly. psi was VG. Would come and go randomly & I noticed it when starting. I just assumed it was a bad lifter or two
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 08:25 AM

possibly exhaust manifolds leaking?
Posted By: 5571

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 04:59 PM

I had an issue with one of my cars yrs ago (chevy Tahoe) and learned some oil filters have a valve to not allow oil to flow out when the car is off.

Since then, I have noticed the better filters have this feature (even on my ford focus). I doubt the cheaper filters have it.

My Tahoe was a bit quieter on startup, when I went with the good filter. It keeps some top end training I think. Or it keeps the filter from draining.

Posted By: stumpy

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 05:53 PM

Check your exhaust manifold to head bolts. They are noted for snapping off on the 5.7.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 06:17 PM

I'd put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the motor and watch it during start up, so as to rule out the noise truly being lack of oil pressure at start up. Good insurance, regardless. Purolator should have an anti drain back valve and is what I would consider a good filter.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By moparmikethree
I have a 2006 1500 with a Hemi. Just today started engine and it was noisy like no oil pressure. Looked at gauge and had good pressure. Noise lasted about 20 seconds and went away.. Oil level good. Oil was changed about 1000 miles ago. Does this engine have an oil pressure timing chain tensioner? What's your thought

I have an '05 1500 with Hemi. I've always thought my engine was noisy on cold start up. Like you, the nosie lasts about 20-30 seconds then goes away.
Posted By: 1971 Gran Coupe

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 07:51 PM

This has been an interesting topic to follow. I have a vehicle and always used Napa Gold filters. Was in a hurry one time and picked up another brand and it started doing exactly what has been described of a noisy start-up and dissipated within a few moments. With all this in mind, I suspect the cheaper oil filter.work Good stuff here as usual.

thanks
Posted By: Twostick

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/28/15 08:13 PM

Are you running 5w20? Anything else can raise hell with the multiple displacement stuff in the lifters.

Kevin

Re: noisy engine on startup Hemi - 04/29/15 03:23 AM

Yes I'm using the 5-20. When I first got it there was a code for incorrect oil weight.. So I'm careful of what I use
© 2024 Moparts Forums