Moparts

Gasket on Big Block Distributor base to seal ?

Posted By: faud88

Gasket on Big Block Distributor base to seal ? - 04/25/15 02:09 PM

I have a small puddle of oil at the base of my distributor on my 426 HEMI. The distributor is a new MP Electronic and has the proper O-Ring installed and is tight. Should there be a paper gasket at the base of the disributor? If so, does anyone have a part#?

Thanks,

Paul
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Gasket on Big Block Distributor base to seal ? - 04/25/15 02:54 PM

Ma used both & at some point switched from one to the other likely for money rather than a function problem & she did not use both at the same time but there is no problem doing just that. not sure of a part # & if you make one you'd need material real thin as any thickness reduces the amt of tang/intergear contact (plus increases play from the lesser engagement) and 2 deg of play there will allow up to 4 deg of cam phasing variation & you'll see it as "spark scatter" as in the light dancing on the dampener. Any possibility the oil is dripping from the 2 drain holes in the dist? You might drive out the roll pin/remove plastic collar & add speedway motors shims to reduce the axial clearance to .005"
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Gasket on Big Block Distributor base to seal ? - 04/25/15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By faud88
I have a small puddle of oil at the base of my distributor on my 426 HEMI. The distributor is a new MP Electronic and has the proper O-Ring installed and is tight. Should there be a paper gasket at the base of the disributor? If so, does anyone have a part#?

Thanks,

Paul

No, it was one or the other ... gasket prior to 69 ... Chrysler bean counters would not have allowed the use of both a gasket and an o ring. First there was a steel embossed gasket used ... remember the distributor body touching the block is the GROUND PATH ... before the switch to an O ring.

Gravity is a strange thing, look for your leak above that puddle point.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Gasket on Big Block Distributor base to seal ? - 04/25/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By faud88

Thanks,

Paul

The O-ring should be sufficient in sealing the distributor base given it's in good shape and the proper size.

Check the corner of the manifold for a possible leak source. There's really not that much oil that makes it up to the base of the distributor IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums