Moparts

Cam bearing- would you run it?

Posted By: 65Fury440

Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 05:17 AM

What do you guys think?

Attached picture 8467279-20150321_230005.jpg
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 06:50 AM

Sure looks like it needs replaced to me.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 07:02 AM

If the cam turns nice by hand, you can run it. I've seen ugly cam bearings out there.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 07:11 AM

Quote:

If the cam turns nice by hand, you can run it. I've seen ugly cam bearings out there.

I'd say that too. I have run ugly bearings.

Now, if you are taking the block to the machine shop, sure. If it's together and this is the only concern with the cam bearing, it's not really a concern in my experience.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 03:56 PM

Remember cams run at half the engine rpm.

That said, if the block is out and stripped down I'd just replace it since it won;t get easier or cheaper than right now.
Posted By: GreenBlurr

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 03:58 PM

Yep that is more than good to go. factory or rebuilt engines can get that kind of leading-edge damage from cam install alone....much less form wear. And the facing surface of the bearing is evenly worn. One should only assume you are to be running a high-volume oil pump after whatever work you do to the engine if you were already. And to of course be running Valvoline 4-stroke ATV engine oil afterwards as well as that is the only one with zinc in it to properly lubricate a flat-tappet cam and lifters, etc.
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/22/15 08:11 PM

Hello and thanks for the replies.

This bearing is supposed to be new, it just looked pretty scrubbed to me. All the other bearings you can tell are new. This one looked suspect though. The PO slid a couple cams in and out and maybe thats where the wear is from. A brand new CC camshaft turns freely, so I guess I'll leave it alone.

I plan on using a high volume oil pump, I was not aware ATV oil had high zinc content. I usually use Valvoline synthetic racing oil and zinc additive, but man, it's pricy. I think the last oil change I did on my 440 with a premium filter was right around $100.00
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/23/15 03:21 AM

That will be fine, I have run much worse with no problems. Simply "fitting" a new bearing to the block can look much worse than yours.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Cam bearing- would you run it? - 03/23/15 05:52 AM

Quote:

I usually use Valvoline synthetic racing oil and zinc additive, but man, it's pricy. I think the last oil change I did on my 440 with a premium filter was right around $100.00

Use the non synthetic and you'll not need the additive , and it's cheaper. Atv oil will have a different additive package .
© 2024 Moparts Forums