Moparts

why is a challenger longer than a cuda

Posted By: Moparnut426

why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 05:23 PM

Have always wondered this,

Is it the wheelbase alone? Will drive shafts interchange?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 05:43 PM

With identical engine / transmission / rear end combinations, the Barracudas have shorter drive shafts than the Challengers.

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 05:44 PM

Quote:

With identical engine / transmission / rear end combinations, the Barracudas has shorter drive shafts than the Challengers.

Was there a reason? Seems expensive to me to tool up 2 different Jigs for the E body line up...
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 05:47 PM

Back then Dodges always had a longer wheel base than a Ply. Every body style in a Dodge did. I think it went way back to when Plymouth was a cheaper car line.

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 06:33 PM

Quote:

Back then Dodges always had a longer wheel base than a Ply. Every body style in a Dodge did. I think it went way back to when Plymouth was a cheaper car line.

I don't buy this as I know a Roadrunner/Gtx and a Coronet/Superbee are the same. I used a Roadrunner driveshaft in a Coronet before.

Atleast the one I sold the guy was out of a 69 RR and he stuck it in a 69 Bee.....
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 06:33 PM

Quote:

Is that true? Very interesting. Even the A bodies?

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 06:36 PM

I just googled it some and I am seeing 116 wheelbase for the 69 belvedere, road runner, and 117 inches for the coronet, bee. A 1" difference would explain being able to swap a shaft.

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 06:38 PM

Quote:

I just googled it some and I am seeing 116 wheelbase for the 69 belvedere, road runner, and 117 inches for the coronet, bee. A 1" difference would explain being able to swap a shaft.

I can see that, but I wouldn't want to put the longer one in the shorter car....
Posted By: BSB67

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 07:50 PM

Quote:

A 1" difference would explain being able to swap a shaft.

Yes, but it is best to keep the u-joint closer to the transmission
Posted By: topside

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 08:58 PM

It's true that Dodges traditionally had a longer wheelbase than Plymouths; that goes back to a time when a longer wheelbase was interpreted as "up-market". As was a longer/larger car.
While one can put a shorter-than-optimum driveshaft in a given car, it's hard on the splines and the rear bearing & seal in the trans.

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 09:04 PM

Stay on topic, not about driveshaft lengths!

So are Darts longer than Valiants?
If Dodges are longer across the model lines it does seem that Chrysler went to great lengths (pun intended!) to make this differentiation!

Very interesting...
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 09:06 PM

Quote:

silly, silly you.....

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 09:12 PM

Dart...111" wb
Valiant...108" wb

1967-76 darts
1967-73 Valiants

Seems to be a lot of truth to this!
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 09:48 PM

1958 Plymouth wheelbase is 118 inches

1958 Dodge wheelbase is 122 inches.

My car being a wagon, is on the longer dodge chassis.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 10:07 PM

Quote:

OP Question:

"Will drive shafts interchange?"
Posted By: 440newport

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 10:08 PM

Quote:

Dart...111" wb
Valiant...108" wb

1967-76 darts
1967-73 Valiants

Attached picture 8466941-abody1.jpg
Posted By: Slotts

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 10:13 PM

The difference in the interior between the Cuda and Challenger was cut on the rear leg room of the Cuda. After an hour long drive in the back seat of a Cuda and then riding in the back seat of a Challenger made one think they were in a New Yorker with all the extra 2” of leg room!

Jim

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OP Question:

"Will drive shafts interchange?"

Yea you're right, my bad.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 10:51 PM

Challenger trunk pan is longer too - a little more room in the Challenger trunk. You can see it.
Posted By: dilvoy

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 10:54 PM

Quote:

Have always wondered this,

Is it the wheelbase alone? Will drive shafts interchange?

I always thought it for styling reasons to be able to use the curving shape of the main character line on the side of the Challenger and make it graceful.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/21/15 11:13 PM

Do you buy it now, after everything the other guys have said, also, just look at a owners manual for a Plymouth, and a Dodge. It's in black, and white in the specifications.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/22/15 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dart...111" wb
Valiant...108" wb

1967-76 darts
1967-73 Valiants

Some exceptions to most everything.

The '63-'66 A body
Valiant 106"
Dart 111"
except the wagons, both Valiant and Dart are 106".

Plymouth Scamps were also same 111" as the Darts.

And the reason Dodges were longer than Plymouths, they were the upscale model, so they were larger and had more standard features.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/22/15 12:53 AM

No, you are all wrong, the challengers were made longer to make them uglier!
Posted By: jcc

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/22/15 01:52 AM

Quote:

Not exactly, they were made longer so they had an excuse for why they were ugly.

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/22/15 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not exactly, they were made longer so they had an excuse for why they were ugly.

Oh, that makes perfect cents!

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/22/15 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As opposed to error coins?

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/22/15 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As opposed to error coins?

Just a calculation error
Posted By: horsepower.2007

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 02:48 AM

So no one really answered the question asked - on all models across the board is the difference between the front and rear seat pans or after the rear axle?
Posted By: 383man

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't buy this as I know a Roadrunner/Gtx and a Coronet/Superbee are the same. I used a Roadrunner driveshaft in a Coronet before.

Atleast the one I sold the guy was out of a 69 RR and he stuck it in a 69 Bee.....

Roadrunner and Coronet are not the same wheelbase going by Mopars listed wheelbase's. Will the driveshaft interchange ?? Maybe as they are only 1" difference I believe but as was stated Dodges usually have the longer wheelbase then the same Plymouth. No one has ever told me why but I just figured it has to do with Dodge being considered the higher model line then Plymouth. Maybe they feel the longer wheelbase gives a better ride ? Ron
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 04:05 AM

Quote:

So no one really answered the question asked - on all models across the board is the difference between the front and rear seat pans or after the rear axle?

A body was rear floor pan. B body had 2 different front spring hangers, Dodge was 1" longer. E body I don't know but the Challenger does have a larger trunk lid.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 04:53 AM

Quote:

Challenger trunk pan is longer too - a little more room in the Challenger trunk. You can see it.

I am not sure this is true. I have an NOS 1971 Cuda Trunk Floor pan and a NOS late 1971 Challenger Trunk floor pan and they look to be the same length and width. Different holes for the fuel neck. I am looking at them one on top of the other standing up. Just wondered if anyone else thinks the pans are different in length. It would save me a lot of time and work pulling these things out to look at the part numbers and to make sure these are exactly what I bought from Chrysler 35 years ago.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 05:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure this is true. I have an NOS 1971 Cuda Trunk Floor pan and a NOS late 1971 Challenger Trunk floor pan and they look to be the same length and width. Different holes for the fuel neck. I am looking at them one on top of the other standing up. Just wondered if anyone else thinks the pans are different in length. It would save me a lot of time and work pulling these things out to look at the part numbers and to make sure these are exactly what I bought from Chrysler 35 years ago.

Well, we used to cut a lot of AZ/TX & CA. trunk pans out back in the 80's before the reproduction stuff hit the market & Cuda & Challenger trunk pans were not the same. I remember Challenger being a few inches longer.
Posted By: skicker

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 05:26 AM

Busted the Tech mans A$$ at the local dirt track with this one. They outlawed all unibody cars with less than a 110" wheelbase. No Camaro's, Mustangs, Nova's or Dusters. I showed up in a 73 Scamp and the began...111" when they measured it...
Posted By: dan9

Re: why is a challenger longer than a cuda - 03/23/15 05:21 PM

The wheelhouses are different between b-body cars for 69 and I think the trunk gutter is longer on the Dodge.
© 2024 Moparts Forums