Moparts

Motorhome 440 - Specs?

Posted By: BPBP440

Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 08:03 PM

I am looking at a 40,000 mile 440 out of a motorhome. According to seller, distributor pad is hard to read, but looks like T440. Casting is 4006630-440-7.

Does anyone know what this engine would be: CR, cast or forged crank, etc?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 08:58 PM

That number is late 75-79, Other then that I am not sure about the stamped pad. What does the balancer look like? thin will be forged crank
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 09:54 PM

CR will be around 7.5 may have the overweight rods and forged crank but is probably cast and LY rods. You will need a magnifying glass to see lobes on the cam. Heads are probably a large plug 213 casting.

All the motor home engines I have dismantled looked super clean inside with little wear, they don't normally do a lot of short trips, they get warmed up quick and stay warm for long trips, also the miles never seem to rack up much, 40,000 is normal.

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 09:56 PM

So the seller says it is a forged crank. It also looks like a double roller chain in one of these pics.

Attached picture 8463076-motorhome440-1.jpeg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 10:06 PM

Sure looks like a forged crank to me. Can't really tell on the timing chain?
Like Dave said, the compression will be real low and you should put higher compression pistons it if you want any kind of performance.

The 2 360 motor home engines I rebuilt had really wore out heads on them and cracked exhaust manifolds from the heat they endure. Granted these were SB and I imagine a 440 won't work as hard.

When I was driving my parents 73 360 equipped motorhome, I would have killed for a 440.

Got a picture of the top with a piston at TDC?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 10:14 PM

Yep, forged crank

Most I have seen were cast in a 440 and forged in the 413 but it is not %100.

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 10:17 PM

Quote:

Like Dave said, the compression will be real low and you should put higher compression pistons it if you want any kind of performance.

The 2 360 motor home engines I rebuilt had really wore out heads on them and cracked exhaust manifolds from the heat they endure. Granted these were SB and I imagine a 440 won't work as hard.

When I was driving my parents 73 360 equipped motorhome, I would have killed for a 440.

No picture at TDC. I asked the seller if he had measured it. Pretty soon he'll tell me to take a hike!

The motor does look really clean. May be a good starting point for a mild build.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No picture at TDC. I asked the seller if he had measured it. Pretty soon he'll tell me to take a hike!

The motor does look really clean. May be a good starting point for a mild build.

..I ran one for fun... .533 Mopar Hyd ... Cheap 1.5 roller rockers..TM 7 intake...750 DP.. 906 ported heads...ran 12.17 in a 3300 lb Dart with driver on 87 pump gas...LOL

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

..I ran one for fun... .533 Mopar Hyd ... Cheap 1.5 roller rockers..TM 7 intake...750 DP.. 906 ported heads...ran 12.17 in a 3300 lb Dart with driver on 87 pump gas...LOL

What?! With stock pistons/compression? Put a modest top end on it and away you went? Nice.
Posted By: KDY

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 11:47 PM

I've been 7.66 @ 87 mph in the 1/8th in a 3800lb truck with a stock bore and stroke cast crank motorhome 440. KB184 pistons (9.2:1 compression), MP stage 5 iron heads (flow 265/187 @ .500), Comp 274 cam, Holley street dominator and a 650dp carb. 727 with a 8" converter (flash 3500) and a Dana 60 with 4.10s.

Motorhome 440s make for excellent mild builds imho

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/17/15 11:58 PM

Well alright. You guys are selling me on this real good.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/18/15 12:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What?! With stock pistons/compression? Put a modest top end on it and away you went? Nice.

Me too. Well, a 77 from a tuna boat car, essentially the same thing. UNTOUCHED shortblock. UNTOUCHED (OE rebuild) 915 heads, MP .509 cam, Holley SD intake, MP elec dizzy, Holley 850, 10" converter, 3.91's, 28" tall dirt track tire, same weight: 12.20's. Later with the mp .557 cam, heads ported using MP templates, and a glass hood w/sealed 6-bbl scoop, went a best of 11.64 @ 115. BEAT THE SNOT of that motor, never broke in 3+ years, HUNDREDS of street and track passes, all on 87 octane. Tired race gas once and it actually slowed down!
Posted By: GY3

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/18/15 12:19 AM

I have a '75 440 truck motor. Low compression but the Holley Street Dominator, .484 MP cam and 906 heads really woke it up! It was really nice internally with no wear so I did a ring and bearing job on it.

Second round is Stealth heads and this winter I'll do a higher compression 512 stroker kit.

Even with the low compression, it's a torque monster!
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/18/15 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yup...never even tore into the short block....906 were stock except i used mopar templates.... we threw some big valve 915's on it...went 12.0X all day long shifting at 5200-5400 launching at 3000 rpm... 14.5 x 32 tires with 4.56 gears...it would also float the lifters ....but that was built in rev limiter in high gear...LOL
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/18/15 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think someone has been in that engine before, I don't think I've seen a motorhome 440 with a double roller chain ...
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/18/15 09:16 PM

My 440 came from a Motorhome and it also had a forged crank and the heady rods. I paid $300 for it two years ago and it cleaned up with only a .30 bore.

Mine did NOT come with a double-roller chain.
Posted By: feets

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 12:10 AM

Quote:

Even with the low compression, it's a torque monster!

You guys are giving me more hope about my torque cam and Eddy head swap on the 72 smog motor.

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 12:26 AM

My compression is 9.1:1 with an Eddie 800 and a fairly tame cam; .462 and .470 lift with 110 lobe separation.

Here is my Dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQzcBniEGkA
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 01:00 AM

Smoggers can do ok for what they are but if you ever drive one with an honest 10:1 you will know it.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 03:25 PM

My cars got a motor home block. They make a great builder. I bought one that I thought I might be able to run but it was rusty in one cylinder from being left out in the rain. my builder took it to .040 with no problem.

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 03:48 PM

It took me two blocks to get a good one but they are great builders.

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 03:51 PM

Quote:

Smoggers can do ok for what they are but if you ever drive one with an honest 10:1 you will know it.

Oh, no doubt, but some of us make do with what we have.

It's kinda hard to justify new pistons, balance and bore when the stuff that's in there look SO NICE.

Besides, 12's in the 1/4 mile ain't to shabby out of a budget build like you can do with an RV/Truck motor on the cheap! Those are some of the funnest bang for buck motors you can do!

I can guarantee you my car (3,100 lbs.) even with low compression is a low 12 high 11 second car as it sits.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's kinda hard to justify new pistons, balance and bore when the stuff that's in there look SO NICE.

Besides, 12's in the 1/4 mile ain't to shabby out of a budget build like you can do with an RV/Truck motor on the cheap! Those are some of the funnest bang for buck motors you can do!

I can guarantee you my car (3,100 lbs.) even with low compression is a low 12 high 11 second car as it sits.

Hey I've been there, done that. My previous engine was a 76 440 with a new set of rings and all the bolt ons. It was ok but I could feel it wasn't making the kind of power it would with some compression. The smogger engines are much more sensitive to running too much cam or too tight of a converter. With the low CR the bottom end is softer.

Re: Motorhome 440 - Specs? - 03/19/15 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey I've been there, done that. My previous engine was a 76 440 with a new set of rings and all the bolt ons. It was ok but I could feel it wasn't making the kind of power it would with some compression. The smogger engines are much more sensitive to running too much cam or too tight of a converter. With the low CR the bottom end is softer.

I don't need more bottom end! LOL! 2800 stall and 3.55 years with 275/60/15 Mickeys.

Attached picture 8464897-0208151140-1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums