Moparts

Torque strap or solid motor mount? Pics added

Posted By: BDW

Torque strap or solid motor mount? Pics added - 03/15/15 09:50 PM

70 Challenger with 340. ****pics at bottom of post****
My speedometer cable is binding as a result of my 518 OD install.
I need to keep the engine from "rolling over" under torque.

I'm thinking a torque strap would do the trick. Probably would be an easier install compared to a solid motor mount.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/TorqueStraps.html

I'm open to all suggestions, what do you think?
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/15/15 09:56 PM

I took a measurement, made a strap out of a winch cable...

Trimmed it to length, had the 'eyelets' crimped...

Bolted from K-frame to block...

Allows some movement at the mount, but in the event of a failure, it ain't gonna eat the shroud...
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/15/15 10:31 PM

I use a motor mount on the drivers side built to limit the travel. Mancini has them and does Schumacher. It's not a solid mount, just locks up after the motor tries to lift on the driver side.
Posted By: pinkmeepmeep

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/15/15 10:43 PM

I definitely vote for torque strap. I tried solid motor mounts and it felt like my teeth were going to rattle out. Way more vibration and noise. I used mitey mounts and Schumacher torque strap. It was kinda pricey, but it has worked well for me.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/15/15 11:43 PM

I made mine out of 1/4 cable, and swaged it. I went behind the battery cable on the head, and K frame, nobody notices it.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 01:15 AM

Quote:

I definitely vote for torque strap. I tried solid motor mounts and it felt like my teeth were going to rattle out. Way more vibration and noise. I used mitey mounts and Schumacher torque strap. It was kinda pricey, but it has worked well for me.

cause you only need one on the drivers side the other side leave the stock one on....
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 01:22 AM

I just use a turn buckle from the hardware store. Bolt one end to the head and use a long bolt to the K member on the other end. I leave about 3/4" slack between the bolt head and the K member. That way I can watch the Shaker move, but have the security of a solid stop. And there is no vibration that way, either.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 02:19 AM

O.K., how far does your engine have to roll to bind a speedo cable?I'll bet that's not the cause of the cable binding.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 02:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

cause you only need one on the drivers side the other side leave the stock one on....

You know I have read posts where people have put a solid mount on the drivers side and a stock type rubber mount on the passenger side To me that sounds really dumb If the engine is going to transfer vibration it's going to do it through ANY solid mount even just one.Now comes the stress on the block being mounted solid on only one side would put stress on the drivers side of the block Also if you have so much vibration in the drive train your teeth are rattling you need to address your imbalance issues
I have a motor plate in my car with a fore-aft limiter and a solid transmission mount without any vibration issues.

Gus

Attached picture 8461345-IMG_0020-1.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 02:45 AM

Myself I prefer a solid mount on the drivers side and I have always used a chain for backup even when I used the rubber mount on the drivers side. So I use a solid mount on the drivers side and a cheap piece of shinny chain for backup. I have used the solid mount for years and it has not caused any problems at all. Myself I am not a fan of eng plates on my street car as I rode in my friends with one and did not like the vibration his car had. Now maybe all eng plates are not like that but his sure had alot of vibration. I get barely no vibration from just the one solid mount on the drivers side. Ron

Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 04:20 AM

After breaking stock mounts with the Hemi in my Challenger (Shaker, too), I got Schumacher's Poly-Loc mounts & never had an issue after that.
Pricey, but they worked for me.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/PolyLoc.html

Attached picture 8461482-PolyLoc.jpg
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/16/15 07:00 PM

I did this idea from the dodgecharger.com forum. Cheap and easy to make and seems to do the job:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=13216.0
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/17/15 12:24 PM

I used 2 of the support braces from engine to trans.

cut one end off each,, weld together,bolt from head to frame on my truck. not very pretty but been holding it down for 20 yrs now.

I have a turnbuckle on the car and use mighty mounts on the BB truck.

all work well so far but the homemade strap was cheapest to make up and use.
Posted By: KnuckleDuster

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/17/15 09:23 PM

I used Schumacher mounts,the vibration is noticable. Was gonna switch to rubber on the passenger side and sell the extra, but the stud was too long on the only rubber mount I had that was the right thickness (out of four), got tired of fighting it and put both back in. I have a brand new Schumacher torque strap I bought years ago and never mounted. My car came with a chain on the 340 and it looked like crap.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/18/15 12:01 AM

Some of the techniques suggested are...not well thought out. Solid mounts are a bad choice. Based on too many road course laps and lot's of burnouts there are real world results.

With any type of torque strap holding the drivers side - the passenger mount gets compressed constantly and eventually collapses a bit-enough to tear the right side muffler hanger. This problem is visibly evident in pictures of the car under hard acceleration.

The best hardware is the schumaker [sp?] torque strap mounted on both sides of the engine and quality mounts like mity mounts. Yes 2 [two] torque straps as one does not work. The schumaker set up adapts well to the passenger side. Yes it was road course tested and it made a noticeable difference.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/18/15 04:53 AM

Quote:

Some of the techniques suggested are...not well thought out. Solid mounts are a bad choice. Based on too many road course laps and lot's of burnouts there are real world results.

With any type of torque strap holding the drivers side - the passenger mount gets compressed constantly and eventually collapses a bit-enough to tear the right side muffler hanger. This problem is visibly evident in pictures of the car under hard acceleration.

The best hardware is the schumaker [sp?] torque strap mounted on both sides of the engine and quality mounts like mity mounts. Yes 2 [two] torque straps as one does not work. The schumaker set up adapts well to the passenger side. Yes it was road course tested and it made a noticeable difference.

I disagree about the solid mount on the drivers side. I dont run road courses but I drive it on the street all the time and I have been doint it for many years with never a problem. I like to leave the stock rubber mount on the pass side as it does seem to help some with the stock rubber mount on the pass side. Like I said though I dont run road course races but I do drage race where I like the solid mount. Ron
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/18/15 06:10 AM

Quote:

I disagree about the solid mount on the drivers side. I dont run road courses but I drive it on the street all the time and I have been doint it for many years with never a problem.

Agreed...

After 20 years...

And 20,000 miles of all kinds of driving...

The OEM style mounts, along with a 'custom' strap, is doing just fine...

No way I'd run solids on a street car...
Posted By: 1967GTX440

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/18/15 04:27 PM

Schumacher's Poly-Loc mounts they work great .
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/18/15 06:20 PM

He was out of the Poly-loc mounts for my /6 to B block swap so I opted for the torque strap. It bolted to the motor mount boss and down to the K frame with 2 small holes to drill. Easy to do, rock solid. Inexpensive IMO. Though turnbuckles from the hardware store are like no buck spending by compare and will do a great job.

I also used the torque strap arm on my '73 - 360 - 4spd Cuda. Excellent as well.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/18/15 07:18 PM

I've tried poly style mounts over the years and there's definitely a noticeable vibration with them. No way I'd even consider a solid mount for a street car. I have a poly trans mount in my trans am now, it was 60 cheaper and in stock when I need it, but not sure I'd use one again.
Posted By: roe

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 12:23 AM

Quote:

I just use a turn buckle from the hardware store. Bolt one end to the head and use a long bolt to the K member on the other end. I leave about 3/4" slack between the bolt head and the K member. That way I can watch the Shaker move, but have the security of a solid stop. And there is no vibration that way, either.

I like the turnbuckle idea. Which size did you use?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 02:38 AM

Home made steel turnbuckle mounted with a little slack.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 02:53 AM

I always had praise for the Poly-Loc mounts. Not so much anymore after crushing a header tube on a hard launch at the track.

Attached picture 8464388-8093297-BarracudaHeadertube.jpg
Posted By: krw71ragtop

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 03:09 AM

A short piece of chain from the motor mount to the frame and use the stock rubber mounts. Cheap and simple.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 04:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I like the turnbuckle idea. Which size did you use?

Probably 5/16. I used one style on the Cuda due to tight spacing and a different style on the Dart just because I thought it looked better.

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 06:35 AM

Just my opinion, but personally, I think turnbuckles and chains bolted to an engine makes the engine bay look junky. Admittedly, I'm a fan of a clean look, but those things scream "band-aid" to me. I run a Moroso solid on the driver side and a stock rubber mount on the passenger. Been that way for 5 years, never had an issue. It vibrates a LITTLE more than stock mounts, but not bad, barely noticable. To be honest, I've come to think its a good thing because I can really feel the motor and feel like I'm better in tune with it.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 03:26 PM

As you can see from the pic, with power steering the turn buckle is hard to see on the Cuda. If you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't notice it. For a little more stealth, it could be painted black.

The advantages of the turn buckles are that they are cheap (under $10), take only minutes to install, are easily adjustable, and are virtually bullet-proof.

And for those that prefer more vibration, just don't balance your tires.

Posted By: Centerline

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/19/15 06:06 PM

'64 Polara 383 4spd. 2nd owner and its a totally original car. Runs but hasn't been on the road for almost 15 years. This turnbuckle was installed in the mid-late '60s and is a perfect example of how it was done back in the day. Not pretty but it works. Car will be undergoing a complete rotisserie resto starting early this summer.

Attached picture 8464898-ATT_1426780376021_image.jpg
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/20/15 02:47 AM

Quote:

Just my opinion, but personally, I think turnbuckles and chains bolted to an engine makes the engine bay look junky. Admittedly, I'm a fan of a clean look, but those things scream "band-aid" to me. I run a Moroso solid on the driver side and a stock rubber mount on the passenger. Been that way for 5 years, never had an issue. It vibrates a LITTLE more than stock mounts, but not bad, barely noticable. To be honest, I've come to think its a good thing because I can really feel the motor and feel like I'm better in tune with it.

That is why mine is home made, all steel, and painted. Location matters too.
Posted By: krw71ragtop

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/20/15 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is why mine is home made, all steel, and painted. Location matters too.

Attached picture 8465496-cudaengine010.JPG

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/20/15 05:12 AM

Quote:

I pretty much agree but if you read my one post you will see it says.......I use a nice SHINY piece of chain. LoL ! I do agree and I think most will agree I try to keep my eng bay looking nice so my small 8" piece of chain had to be shiny. I have even painted the chain on some cars over the years with stainless steel paint. But to me my nice shiny chain looks fine and you can see in this pic you cant see it to easy. So when bucks is tight myself I will use a shiny peice of chain for $3 dollars instead of paying $80 or more for the torque strap. But dont get me wrong as I like the torque strap and think it looks nice. I just feel a small peice of chain will work fine as it has for years and can look good if you use a nice clean chain and not a rusty one as then I agree it will not look to nice. Ron

Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/21/15 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You know I have read posts where people have put a solid mount on the drivers side and a stock type rubber mount on the passenger side To me that sounds really dumb If the engine is going to transfer vibration it's going to do it through ANY solid mount even just one.Now comes the stress on the block being mounted solid on only one side would put stress on the drivers side of the block Also if you have so much vibration in the drive train your teeth are rattling you need to address your imbalance issues
I have a motor plate in my car with a fore-aft limiter and a solid transmission mount without any vibration issues.

Gus

No it doesn't probably could do some damage with alot more HP. Ran a street car for many years that way. Zero vibrations and 60ft was mid 1.50's over 3800lbs. Stock Trans mount and stock motor mount on the otherside. No need for a Motor plate when a simple mount does the trick. IMO it's waste to make it look like it has more horsepower than it really does....
Posted By: fjr340gts

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/21/15 02:55 AM

Stock types mounts, plus use a Schumacher Torque Strap. Have it on there since 1999 with no issues. The black strap practically disappears from sight against the black K frame and black P/S pump.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/21/15 04:16 AM

I have a solid driver side mount and a stock passenger mount on my mild 360 (300ish hp). No problems at all on street and occasional 1/4 mile runs. No bad vibration with my 268/285 cam. I have read (probably on here) that in high horsepower engines and/or cars that hook really well, it is possible to crack the mount ears off the block with a solid drivers mount. So if you're in that camp, maybe the engine plate is the way to go. My hp is too low and the car doesn't hook enough on Radial T/A's for this to be a concern to me.
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/24/15 12:31 AM

here's a shot of mine. I put a piece rubber hose in the eyelet for the bolt to pass thru. absorbs some vibration.

Gary

Attached picture 8469148-IMG_0477.JPG

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/24/15 11:54 PM

Thanks for all the responses, ordered the Schumacher strap.
Will post results when I get it in.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/25/15 08:49 PM

here's a better shot of the mounting at the Kframe.

Attached picture 8470848-IMG_0498.JPG
Posted By: roe

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/26/15 04:04 AM

Quote:

Did you make that bracket on the k frame?

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 03/26/15 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did you make that bracket on the k frame?

Yes just apiece of 2x2 angle iron, drill a couple holes and a piece of rubber btw the angle and the trnbuckle.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 04/04/15 07:29 PM

I always appreciate when there's an update, so here's mine.
Installed the Schumacher strap, it's a nice well designed piece.
It's almost impossible to notice, powder coated black. If the heim joint and nuts where black it would be invisible. No vibration when driving, there are 2 thick rubber bushings at bottom mount, so there is some room to give/move.

My hood is still off from the transmission install, and I can definitely tell the air cleaner doesn't move when I get on it now.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 04/05/15 12:40 AM

Looks good, clears the power steering hose too.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 10/31/17 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By 67Satty
I did this idea from the dodgecharger.com forum. Cheap and easy to make and seems to do the job:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=13216.0

All these jobber cheap motor mounts are junk , even before trying this modification

Two I got from O Reilly's Anchor 2250 the welded nuts where crooked and one fell off in the box , serious

Metal looks thin as paper

Two I got from Napa , bolt studs for mount need to bee shortened but the problem with there's was the welded nut and opposing holes looked fine but where a 1/2" further away from the mounts then factory so they didn't sit flush on the K Frame when running the bolts through , mounts sat at least 1/2" off the Frame

Who the hell sells a decent motor mount to begin with before doing this mod ? Something that least fits proper

432 Stroker Motor will bee done this week for my 71 Superbee
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 10/31/17 02:35 PM

I see Schumacher sells a revised bracket now where it bolts to the side of the block. I have the old style on my dad's road runner. That bracket broke when it was on my cuda (w/ a 600 hp 440), welded it back together and lasted for a while. Put it on my dad's 500 hp 4 speed road runner and it broke again after a few months.
I'm about to call and see if they'll send me the revised bracket.

If I had to do it again, I'd put a solid mount on the driver's side. If it wasn't such a PITA to change w/ the motor in the car I'd do it now. I don't like the looks of any type of strap/chain/cable/etc.

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 10/31/17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
I see Schumacher sells a revised bracket now where it bolts to the side of the block. I have the old style on my dad's road runner. That bracket broke when it was on my cuda (w/ a 600 hp 440), welded it back together and lasted for a while. Put it on my dad's 500 hp 4 speed road runner and it broke again after a few months.
I'm about to call and see if they'll send me the revised bracket.

If I had to do it again, I'd put a solid mount on the driver's side. If it wasn't such a PITA to change w/ the motor in the car I'd do it now. I don't like the looks of any type of strap/chain/cable/etc.

I sent Schumacher an email this morning since they are in Washington state and they were all likely still in bed when I read this. A lady from there called me a lil while ago and asked for my address so she could send me the revised bracket free of charge. up She said the original brackets were cut on the CNC against the grain when they were supposed to be cut w/ the grain. When they started having breakage problems, they redesigned it as well as corrected the cutting error.
Anyways, figured yall might like to hear that they're a good company to deal with! beer

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 11/01/17 01:03 AM

What bracket are you taking about?
The U-shape channel that bolts to the K-member?

Here's my install, blends in nice

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 11/01/17 02:20 PM

No, the bracket that attaches to the motor mount boss on the side of the block and then the top eyelet the "rod" bolts to it. It broke in the curve under the bolt.
The revised bracket is much smaller, just a flat piece w/ a slight curve in it.

Attached picture mancini-racing-torque-strap-16.gif
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 11/02/17 05:40 AM

drivers side SOLID MOUNT made from an original mount

Attached picture mopar 012.JPG
Attached picture mopar 013.JPG
Attached picture mopar 014.JPG
Attached picture mopar 015.JPG
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 11/02/17 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By Joesixpack
drivers side SOLID MOUNT made from an original mount

i have done that mod many times over the years. works very well, and is cheap, especially if the needed material is laying around the shop [like at my place] or can be scavenged.
beer
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 11/02/17 05:59 PM

Tough to describe, but I run a stock rubber mount with a 1/4" thick plate about 3" wide and 7" long. Bent in the shape of a J the verticle length of the J is sloted so it slides between the k frame and the motor mount. The curved bottom of the J curves up and over behind the back of the motor mount. You toghten the stud to k frame which sandwiches the J upside down. The curve portion of the J is just big enough the motor can rock 1/4" and the J contacts the back of the mount. Been in there a decade.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Torque strap or solid motor mount? - 11/03/17 03:31 AM

Picture of mount

Attached picture image.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums