Moparts

Painting polished aluminum wheels

Posted By: KatFysh

Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/27/08 09:09 PM

I've been wanting to put black wheels on my Ram. I've been watching wheels on that auction site. Anyways, if I was to purchase a set of used stock polished aluminum wheels, what would I need to do to prep the wheel for either paint or powdercoat??
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/27/08 09:10 PM

bead blast or sand em...

Re: Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/27/08 09:14 PM

I am not positive if they have a clearcoat on them from the factory or not. I was thinking about blasting but I'd be afraid of having them end up getting pitted. By sanding, do you mean just scuffing?

These are thems..

http://cas07.businessflow.ms/3.9.6/media...e1b1&size=1
Posted By: Joel71

Re: Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/28/08 12:08 AM

Quote:

I've been wanting to put black wheels on my Ram. I've been watching wheels on that auction site. Anyways, if I was to purchase a set of used stock polished aluminum wheels, what would I need to do to prep the wheel for either paint or powdercoat??

If you're going to paint them and the are clear coated, just sand and paint. If they're bare aluminum, sand, epoxy prime, and paint.
I'd use the epoxy primer either way just for added strength and adhesion.

Re: Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/28/08 12:16 AM

Okay, thank you Joel and mmissile... What about powdercoating? Would that be an option on these wheels..
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/28/08 12:29 AM

BEAD blast,,, not sand blast,, bead is much finer.. powder coating will outlast any/all painting...
Posted By: 73 SSP

Re: Painting polished aluminum wheels - 05/28/08 12:37 AM

If I remember correctly those are clear coated. Go w/ the powdercoat.
© 2024 Moparts Forums