Moparts

? for the painters: When to replace air hose?

Posted By: HemiStan

? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 08:53 PM

I am getting ready to spray some paint in a couple of months and have some air hose questions. I was told that I should replace my air hose periodically to prevent an older hose from breaking down and allowing small bits of deteriorating hose to become mixed with the paint.

How often should I replace the hose?

Is there a specific hose brand that is better than others? Any brand to stay away from?

Thanks!
Stan
Posted By: haddixj

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 09:28 PM

I would buy one from the local body supply store or on amazon you can get a devilbiss brand hose that is good
Posted By: bronze69

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 09:54 PM

Once you use a Flexzilla air hose, you will not want to use anything else.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 09:58 PM

I used the same air hose in my FG operation for 20+ years .... FG spray-up, parting agent, gel-coating and even limited amount of painting. NEVER had any issues with the hose coming apart.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 10:26 PM

My hoses at work last about 5-7 years, not because they fall apart on the inside but because they wear out on the outside.

They make filters that go on the air line before the spray gun that will protect the spray gun. I have never used one in 25+ years of painting. I have a air dryer/filter on the wall about 75-100 feet away from my compressor that my hose is supplied by.

I would not worry about the hose. I would be concerned with your air line piping in your shop to keep water out of the air hose when painting though. How's that laid out?

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 10:39 PM

Rubber hoses are nicer to use than plastic coating hoses. I use both kinds, both red in color but the plastic like hoses are much stiffer in the cold air and suck to use outside in the winter.

About 15-20 years ago the hose manufactures where forced to stop using something to make rubber hoses. So now the rubber hoses don't relax like they used to. Now they want to stay coiled up and are a bigger pain to use than older made hose was to handle. Coiled up air hose is a problem when dragging it around a fresh paint job.

I buy and use 150' long 1" LP hose AND 175'long 1 1/4" diesel and gas hoses that we use on tanker trucks. We notice how they handle and behave.

Air hose are the same deal. The rubber air hoses I buy today are not like the old air hoses of the days gone by because of the EPA.

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/02/15 11:30 PM

Quote:

Once you use a Flexzilla air hose, you will not want to use anything else.

Thanks for the post, might try one.
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/03/15 02:59 AM

Just a word of caution. I had a older air hose cause me to wet sand the clear coat off twice before I figured out it was contamination coming from the hose that was causing my problem. This was also the same hose I had just used to lay down the black base that looked just fine .

Dan.
Posted By: charles6970

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/03/15 03:02 AM

very important to have a filter on your paint gun,
as for hoses, goodyear red rubber air hoses are what i prefer.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/03/15 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be checking out a few these different air hoses.

Stan
Posted By: OneBadBeagle

Re: ? for the painters: When to replace air hose? - 03/03/15 03:56 PM

I second the Flexilla recommendation, will never buy any other hose now
© 2024 Moparts Forums