Moparts

What brand of wire connectors do you use?

Posted By: Adam71Charger

What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/02/15 08:34 PM

Im curious what everybody is using for butt connectors. I'm tired of the crappy ones Ive been using. I like the ones that come with the heat shrink tubing, but the Pico ones from summit are fairly expensive and come in small quantities. Im looking to buy a larger quantity of 250 to 500 of each 12g 14g 16g and 18g. who sells good quality connectors bulk?
Posted By: feets

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/02/15 11:26 PM

I have picked up a few from work when I was doing something important. The Mercedes connectors have solder in them. No doubt other companies make them but I haven't searched for any.

Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/02/15 11:53 PM

The Mercedes connectors are called raycem connectors the have solder/sealer & shrink down when heated,no doubt the best type of connector when used properly,you need a heat gun with the deflector shield for proper heating,as far as crimp connectors there are some quality ones & the cheep crap ones wallmart/autozone,need to find a supplier usually for the quality ones Kent Automotive.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 12:32 AM

I prefer AMP solderless connectors but you really need the dedicated crimp tool for them.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/template.asp?pagename=amp
Posted By: moparjimbo

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 01:22 AM

I use the GM/Packard Weatherpack - they are real common, sealed, work well, and can get em on ebay amazon jegs summit in big kits with multiple various connectors for cheap. When I worked at Komatsu/Dresser/International Harvestor we used em on a lot of our construction equipment and used em all the time in the shop when wiring up test setups. Some people prefer the Deutsch but I think they are more expensive and harder to get.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 02:00 AM

Im spoiled spent 23 years in the airline industry and I no longer have my supply of the AMP connectors. I guess I will just have to brake down and buy them.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 02:43 AM

Quote:

I have picked up a few from work when I was doing something important. The Mercedes connectors have solder in them. No doubt other companies make them but I haven't searched for any.

If you need something like what Feets posted, its good stuff. Been using this kind for many uses in aviation for years
Posted By: ahy

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 03:00 AM

I have had/seen many issues with butt connectors... loose, high resistance, corrosion. Perhaps because I do not have the good ones and matched tool. In any case, it only takes a minute longer to solder and heat shrink so that's what I do. I keep a few around for emergency road repairs but that's it.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 03:44 AM

When I learned soldering in the Navy I was taught that solder is for a good electrical connection and a crimp is for a good mechanical connection, never substitute one for the other.

I know Chrysler just used crimps but they were building to a price, you shouldn't be.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 03:45 AM

Quote:

I prefer AMP solderless connectors but you really need the dedicated crimp tool for them.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/template.asp?pagename=amp

I am impressed that someone on moparts is using aircraft quality anything on their cars. These connectors require a good quality insulation or it will burn or melt. I have about 80# of tefzel wire so I am covered for the next decade....Tim
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 04:44 AM

I'm not a fan of anything with a sleeve on it. even with good crimpers I always have a little doubt in my mind whether or not I really got it. I prefer to use non insulated connectors and then cover with heat shrink. You can get a very good crimp on these with even the worst pair of crimpers. Granted, using this method on butt connectors doesn't look that great then again I'd rather run a whole new longer wire than butt anything together.
Posted By: hp383

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 05:08 AM

You can get a wide variety of good quality heat shrink connectors here.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Terminals/r...tor&mp_mt=e
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 02:02 PM

I use a common crimp connecter, solder it, and then cover it with the adhesive type of heat shrink tubing. Low cost, waterproof, and ultimate flexibility.

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 05:57 PM

Quote:

I'm not a fan of anything with a sleeve on it. even with good crimpers I always have a little doubt in my mind whether or not I really got it. I prefer to use non insulated connectors and then cover with heat shrink. You can get a very good crimp on these with even the worst pair of crimpers. Granted, using this method on butt connectors doesn't look that great then again I'd rather run a whole new longer wire than butt anything together.

the connectors above are not crimped, they are heated and the solder shrinks melts inside the heat shrink once you get them hot enough. They are really used on shielded wire to put a pigtail on the shielding to ground 1 end and have a nice finish. I have used the AMP brand for years with a calibrated crimper and if you give them a gentle tug and it stays on, its on. Tim

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/03/15 09:00 PM

Quote:

I'm not a fan of anything with a sleeve on it. even with good crimpers I always have a little doubt in my mind whether or not I really got it.

The AMP connectors I posted are translucent, you can look into them after crimping and see end of the (stripped to proper length) wire. Crimping using the proper crimper also crimps the insulation which provides strain relief for both the wire and its insulation.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/04/15 12:02 AM

Quote:

The AMP connectors I posted are translucent, you can look into them after crimping and see end of the (stripped to proper length) wire. Crimping using the proper crimper also crimps the insulation which provides strain relief for both the wire and its insulation.

These are still made in south central Pennsylvania by TE Connectivity. Tyco International bought AMP in 1999. The tradename "AMP" remains. A spinoff years later changed the company name to Tyco Electronics which later became TE Connectivity. These are still made on some of the original machines that were designed and built in the 50's (with some major safety and productivity improvements) and are still specified in many aircraft and military applications.
Posted By: Instigate

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/04/15 12:13 AM

I don't use butt connectors. Just solder and shrink tube. Why are butt connectors better? OR just faster? I'd rather solder it and know it's legit.

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/04/15 09:44 PM

Soldering and heat shrink butt connectors are dandy on the bench but try it lying on your back under the dash.
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/04/15 11:08 PM

Quote:

Soldering and heat shrink butt connectors are dandy on the bench but try it lying on your back under the dash.

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/05/15 12:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Try doing it in a fuel tank! With Jet fuel or 100 octane....

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/05/15 12:56 AM

Quote:

I have, why? Because I do not want to do it again.

I bought my daughter a vehicle and the donkey who owned it before us put in an aftermarket radio. Rather than spring for the $10 adapter to plug into the OEM wiring he cut off the connector, twisted the wires together and electrical taped them, then left the single DIN radio hanging loose in a double DIN opening. Guess would crimped, soldered and heat shrunk that mess?

I have since decided that I will never buy another used vehicle if it has an aftermarket radio in it or a "cold air intake" on it.
Posted By: hp383

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/05/15 09:15 AM

There was a time when there was no such thing as the plug and play connector for the aftermarket radios.
Posted By: Instigate

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/05/15 09:48 AM

Quote:

I've had to solder in some strange positions and yea it's not ideal but just like welding, it is possible if you know what you're doing.
Posted By: jeebis44

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/06/15 02:27 AM

Posiloks...

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/06/15 02:37 AM

Quote:

There was a time when there was no such thing as the plug and play connector for the aftermarket radios.

It's a 97 Exploder, that time was before then.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/06/15 02:53 AM

Quote:

These are still made in south central Pennsylvania by TE Connectivity. Tyco International bought AMP in 1999. The tradename "AMP" remains. A spinoff years later changed the company name to Tyco Electronics which later became TE Connectivity. These are still made on some of the original machines that were designed and built in the 50's (with some major safety and productivity improvements) and are still specified in many aircraft and military applications.

Varies, but Anchor brand is what I'll buy if I can - they're for marine use - and there used to be boat supply in town. The copper in marine wire is tinned, so I prefer that too (for its corrosion resistance). Again, local availability is a dominating reason. If industrial quality was easy access, and I didn't need to buy 100 at time, then the AMPs or some of the other newer connectors would be on the short list.
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: What brand of wire connectors do you use? - 03/06/15 03:32 AM

Napa and Autozone in my area have these butt connectors with the solder ring in the center and also the style that are both crimped and soldered
© 2024 Moparts Forums