Moparts

Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle

Posted By: MikeT

Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/01/15 09:45 PM

I have installed a 770 Truck avenger Holley carb on a mild 440 that I take to the dunes and desert. Seems to run great until about 3/4 throttle, I don't have a tach so I am not sure the rpms but it pulls hard until then, then just quits. Holley tech had me go up a couple sizes in primary jets but made no difference. Now they suggest changing power valve. Seems like I am getting wild guesses from them, so I thought Id post here and get some other ideas first.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/01/15 10:13 PM

So it never did that until you installed the carb. right?
So we can rule out any other component than the carb. When you say 3/4 throttle you mean the pedal is almost to the floor?
More info like RPM's would help
You might be running out of fuel but if you don't have a pressure gauge hooked up we can't tell that either
More info please
Gus
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/01/15 11:08 PM

float level?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/01/15 11:13 PM

Check your fuel pump as well
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/01/15 11:23 PM

Pump shot, squirter size.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/01/15 11:37 PM

As said, ran fine with prior carb? confirm the float settings. What rpm, "ballpark" if no tach? sputters & dies or just dies? how many seconds into "3/4" throttle till it acts up? define 3/4 throttle? EDIT duplicate the same RPM/3/4 throttle in your driveway in neutral & see how it acts
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/02/15 08:05 PM

Did you check/change fuel filter? I think those avengers have extra fuel filters at the bowls?? not sure but I had to get rid of mine, you don't need multiple filters.
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/02/15 10:18 PM

I'll throw out the easy one. Did you check that the throttle is fully opening the carb when you made the swap?

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/02/15 10:26 PM

Checked fuel float levels there good. Has a 37 pump nozzle. Ran fine with prior carb but the electric pump is new and I have an analog gauge connected to regulator at 6.5 psi when idling. Not sure what the fuel pressure is at 3/4 throttle but I do have an electric fuel press gauge I can bring in the cab, I will hook up and see. Its a good carter pump 100 gph type cant see it not able to keep up. It has a screen filter in the inlet I doubt that's a prob but I'll remove it. I will hook up a tach and see what the rpm is but it starts about 3/4 throttle and stumbles and has no more pull.

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/02/15 10:27 PM

Quote:

I'll throw out the easy one. Did you check that the throttle is fully opening the carb when you made the swap?

I'll check.

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/03/15 12:12 AM

Quote:

Ran fine with prior carb but the electric pump is new and I have an analog gauge connected to regulator at 6.5 psi when idling.

Was it another elec pump before? More info on what parts have been changed (besides the carb). Same reg as before/same setting in it?

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/03/15 04:55 AM

No, the pump and regulator are new to the truck. Took off the mech pump to install a saden compressor in its place.

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/03/15 06:40 AM

OK, old carb/mech pump/no reg=ran fine. new carb/elec pump/reg=acting up. I'm assuming what you said that the elec pump is adequate & I'm assuming it has a non restricted (~100 micron) filter before it. What about adj the reg for more psi? the most it would do is (possibly) flood it just for 1 test which ain't gonna kill ya & it might very well be the problem (& an easy fix). All that is left is the carb. Holler how it goes. PS It just crossed my mind, what other filters do you have & was it not there with the mech pump/no reg/old carb
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/03/15 04:46 PM

If it ran fine with prior carb, switch it back to see if the problem persists. If it does, your problem is in the other changes you made.

Re: Holley on 440 falls flat on face at 3/4 throttle - 03/03/15 05:18 PM

Quote:

If it ran fine with prior carb, switch it back to see if the problem persists. If it does, your problem is in the other changes you made.

Ding ding ding I do believe we have a winna
© 2024 Moparts Forums