Moparts

New 5 spd transmission available soon

Posted By: TC@HP2

New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/01/15 08:40 PM

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet since it supposedly debuted at SEMA this year. I ran across it in the latest issue of Mopar Muscle while reading an article about the McCleod CEO's personal Cuda. Nice to see another potential OD option out there that won't require trans tunnel cutting.

McLeod Muscle Car 5 Transmission

The revolutionary Muscle Car 5 Transmission with a 2.95 1st gear and .63 5th gear. Its innovative design gives muscle car owners the ability to use an overdrive transmission without having to make expensive or annoying modifications.

Currently Producing GM Version.
Part Number 512957.

Ford & Mopar Versions Late Summer 2015.

Regular Price: $2,795.00

The revolutionary Muscle Car 5 Transmission with a 2.95 1st gear and .63 5th gear. Its innovative design gives muscle car owners the ability to use an overdrive transmission without having to make expensive or annoying modifications. The McLeod Muscle Car 5 is designed with an exclusive case design that allows for fitment into tight tunnels. Gone are the days of cutting your floorboards to be able to get the benefits of improved fuel economy and lower RPMs that an overdrive transmission provides. With 8620 forged steel gears and a 32-spline output shaft, the Muscle Car 5 can handle up to 500 ft lbs of torque. We made sure the gears were fully synchronized for smooth shifting and quiet operation. The internal rail shifter aides in quick and smooth shifts. The front cover is designed so it will bolt up to your factory bellhousing. Shown in optional red. Call for details on powder coating.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/driveline/mcleod-muscle-car-5-transmission.html

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/01/15 10:17 PM

Oh my...
Available soon as 5 years ago

Very old news

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/02/15 05:09 PM

I guess I've been living under a rock then. Never heard about it. Of course, if it wasn't beat to death here, I probably would not have gone searching for it.

Although after you mentioned that, I did find a number hits on the McLeod M-800 OD trans from 2009 SEMA. I suppose this may be a lighter duty version of that at 500 lb ft capability.

In any case, they re-introduced it again this year. If it is indeed available this summer and its a direct bolt in at $2800, they should sell fairly well.
Posted By: GY3

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/02/15 05:49 PM

The sneak peek of it is what lead to Passon releasing info. and a few units of his transmission ahead of schedule...
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/02/15 06:08 PM

After driving behind one of Passons 4 speed OD's, I wouldn't want anything else except one of his 5 speeds. I like the way everything bolts up just like original, and the way it shifts, just like the way they did back then. That trans in the picture can't use the original shifter ect.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/02/15 08:37 PM

Quote:

I guess I've been living under a rock then. Never heard about it. Of course, if it wasn't beat to death here, I probably would not have gone searching for it.

Although after you mentioned that, I did find a number hits on the McLeod M-800 OD trans from 2009 SEMA. I suppose this may be a lighter duty version of that at 500 lb ft capability.

In any case, they re-introduced it again this year. If it is indeed available this summer and its a direct bolt in at $2800, they should sell fairly well.

You must have been under a rock as it was beat to death here .

The pictures of the transmission released years ago showed it being a DIRECT BOLT IN after you remove the trans tunnel and torsion bar X member , there was nothing bolt in about it ...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/02/15 08:47 PM

I saw it on display at SEMA in 2009, there was NO WAY that trans would be a no cutting bolt in. I also bought a PASSON trans and wouldn't want anything else.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 12:36 AM

I only see the GM version pictured, who knows what the Mopar version will look like if it doesn't come out until this summer?

At any rate, I don't see anything there that the Tremec 5-speed doesn't already offer for less money.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 01:17 AM

The Tremec 5 speed doesn't require hacking on your car to install it?
Posted By: 69charger440_6pa

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 01:26 AM

Quote:

That's funny.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 01:40 AM

Just another option for a 5-speed in an older mopar. Passon's is probably the best one out there. The only problem with Passon's is if I get on the list now my 3 year old son might actually be 18 before I get one.
Posted By: efisixpack

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 01:59 AM

500ft/lbs is a pretty low rating for a manual transmission designed for classic muscle cars. Heck, my mild 440 has 530ft/lbs. I can see durability being a potentially serious issue for a lot of guys.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 02:48 AM

Quote:

500ft/lbs is a pretty low rating for a manual transmission designed for classic muscle cars. Heck, my mild 440 has 530ft/lbs. I can see durability being a potentially serious issue for a lot of guys.

1) The one pictured and the one shown in the last issue of some Mopar mag looks slightly different. Who knows if the one shown in the mag is the Mopar version or not.

Edit- Looking at the input shaft I suspect the non-Mopar version. I think the article did indicate a different bellhousing maybe needed but wait and see I guess.

2) The 'Cuda article in the same issue indicated the trans was rated at 600 ft/lbs of torque and the blown hemi engine in the 'Cuda was dyno'd at 1200 hp.

Options are nice.

I know I'll be a voice in the wilderness but always best to wait till a product is in peoples hands before proclaiming this is better than that when none are in anyone's hands yet.

Attached picture 8446828-DSCN7358.JPG
Posted By: astjp2

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 03:40 AM

Quote:

I think this is meant for the small block guys who are happy with only 500 ftlbs of torque. Tim
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 03:48 AM

Quote:

The T56 Magnum will require a chainsaw and an axe to get it into my car.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 03:51 AM

Quote:

The T56 Magnum will require a chainsaw and an axe to get it into my car.

I have both and a San Angelo bar if it'll help.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 05:04 AM

Quote:

You must have been under a rock as it was beat to death here .

Yea, I was pretty busy 6 years ago, so I probably missed it.

Quote:

500 Sounds pretty decent to me. While you may have proof of your 530 lb ft combo, I'm sure there are 10:1 ratio of guys who think they have 500 and are really closer to 300 compared to you. Even then, that isn't a cliff in durability and I've seen lesser rated gear last behind higher rated powerplants when used with driver care.

Quote:

1) The one pictured and the one shown in the last issue of some Mopar mag looks slightly different. Who knows if the one shown in the mag is the Mopar version or not.

Edit- Looking at the input shaft I suspect the non-Mopar version. I think the article did indicate a different bellhousing maybe needed but wait and see I guess.

2) The 'Cuda article in the same issue indicated the trans was rated at 600 ft/lbs of torque and the blown hemi engine in the 'Cuda was dyno'd at 1200 hp.

Options are nice.

I know I'll be a voice in the wilderness but always best to wait till a product is in peoples hands before proclaiming this is better than that when none are in anyone's hands yet.

The only difference seems to be the cable hanging out near the front and the powder coat, and yes, all the pics/adverts are for the GM version, which is in production. Yes, McLeods CEO has one in his 1200hp blown Hemi Cuda. However, as a former alcohol and fuel driver, I think he may know how he can make things last.

FWIW, I'm not saying this trans is better than the Passon 855 or that the McLeod guys are a better group to deal with. I'm simply saying there may be another option out there, hopefully soon, since they obviously missed the mark previously. Will it fit perfectly, I have no idea. It seems reasonable to say it will as that little shifter box on top doesn't appear to be much bigger than a standard Hurst shifter mechanism, but each car does have its quirks.

Poking around the net, I did find a picture of the 2009 offering M800. Yeah, its a bit large looking up top.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 06:20 AM

The major problem with that design is the shifter is right in the way of the torsion bar crossmember. I had the same issue running a LONG V-gate shifter on a Richmond 5-speed in my car.I prefer my shifter set back to the tail and high so I had to cut and box my crossmember to get the shifter where I wanted it.As with any manual box when you put the right clutch in front of it all is well

I hope it works for some cars but there are very few guys willing to cut the amount floor it takes to install an aftermarket manual box other than Jamie's bolt in unit.

Gus

Attached picture 8447070-IMG_0023-1.JPG

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 09:12 PM

Quote:

Depends on the car.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 09:27 PM

Ok, which stock A,B, or E-body floor pan Mopar does it bolt into with zero cuttung?

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 11:18 PM

Scott, you're the one that brought up the subject of "hacking" not me. I simply stated that the subject trans doesn't offer anything that the Tremec doesn't already.

A Tremec TKO600 slid into my '56 Plymouth like it was made for it....not all of us limit our interests to A, B and E-bodies.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/03/15 11:29 PM

Not to with you John, just curious because I've never seen a 5 speed Tremec fit any B,E or A body (which Im sure is what that vast majority on Moparts own) without hacking.

*BTW, I agree, the McCloud looks pretty similar to a Tremec
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 12:28 AM

And I took the comment to mean that if the Tremec required hacking to get it to fit, the other transmission required hacking as well.

It seems that the only surefire 5-speed replacement is the Passon, whatever its status is.

R.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 12:32 AM

Only downside to the Passon setup I can see it the wait.

Cost is inline with other setups, work required is much less. I guess only the impatient, the foolish or the name droppers need buy the others.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 12:34 AM

As of now..
Still no product...
Only smoke & mirrors...

We need to see some actual product & installs....

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 01:05 AM

Ya 5 years ago when it was "availabe soon" I was interested. I see product is still not available.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 01:15 AM

Quote:

Really, because a TKO600 doesn't look anything like the McLeod to me.

Looking closely at the McLeod, they may be able to pull this off. It appears the front mounting plate is removable and the tail shaft is removable so only the gear cluster section is constant between all derivations. If that's the way they are tackling this, they may be able to make this work because, and I imagine this is the drawback for any trans manufacturing, is that you will need three distinct cases to cover Mopar applications, A/F, B, and E. By changing out the tail shaft and its associated shifter locations, they can make one case fit all lengths and shifter locations.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 01:17 AM

Quote:

you will need three distinct cases to cover Mopar applications, A/F, B, and E.

Why?

Chrysler had one case for all three, only the tail shaft and associated parts varied.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 01:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Really, because a TKO600 doesn't look anything like the McLeod to me.

Looking closely at the McLeod, they may be able to pull this off. It appears the front mounting plate is removable and the tail shaft is removable so only the gear cluster section is constant between all derivations. If that's the way they are tackling this, they may be able to make this work because, and I imagine this is the drawback for any trans manufacturing, is that you will need three distinct cases to cover Mopar applications, A/F, B, and E. By changing out the tail shaft and its associated shifter locations, they can make one case fit all lengths and shifter locations.

For as small and stingy as the mopar market is, I highly doubt we will ever see different tail housing/shifter locations for various mopar models. All on the transmissions that's 1/2 a decade behind schedule from a big company like mcleod.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 03:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think this is meant for the small block guys who are happy with only 500 ftlbs of torque. Tim

Even my stock stroke 340 made 455 lb-ft. Just plain not enough headroom on this trans. Anything made for these cars shouldn't be weaker than a 23 spline A833.

If the A833 ever comes out, I'm getting the Passon 5-speed. Hoping that list gets shorter in the coming months.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/04/15 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you will need three distinct cases to cover Mopar applications, A/F, B, and E.

Why?

Chrysler had one case for all three, only the tail shaft and associated parts varied.

Excuse me, three tail shafts.

Quote:

Anything made for these cars shouldn't be weaker than a 23 spline A833.

Valid point. So, since all new transmissions are rated by lb ft capacity, where would the venerable A833 fall in this range? It certainly is a strong trans, but by no means is bulletproof. While a slick shifted crash box may have lasted for a dozen passes at the dragstrip behind a high output Hemi in the hands of Mr. Sox, I can recall a few DNFs from the 1970 Trans Am season for gearbox problems with engines that had much lower specific output than the Factory Experimental, Modified Production, and fledgling Pro Stock class.

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/05/15 01:17 AM

See now that's where putting a torque capacity rating on a transmission is just a marketing tool. You could put a 23 spline box behind a 1000 HP HEMI with 800 FT.LBS. of torque as long as you put a slipper clutch in between them If you put that Mcleod box in a 3600 pound B-body with a 14" slick and a Mcleod Street-Twin it will fail If they rated a transmission for "intended usage" you would see a much different price tag on them. They should include the proper clutch package with a transmission for the weight of the car and the power of the engine
I never hurt an 18 spline HEMI box until I put a Mcleod dual disc clutch in the car that didn't slip.Then I started breaking stuff and I might be pushing 600 ft. of torque

The shifter position is still gonna require extensive mods to the torsion bar crossmember

Gus

Attached picture 8449169-mysavoy.jpg
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: New 5 spd transmission available soon - 03/05/15 02:54 AM

Quote:

The shifter position is still gonna require extensive mods to the torsion bar crossmember

The Mopar version is offset.

Like I said, lets wait and see when it is released. Options are nice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums