Moparts

Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges?

Posted By: moparmedic

Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/19/15 06:12 AM

The hinges are completely missing on my 73 Challenger. I generally get them rebuilt but since I don't have cores I thought I may try AMD. Anyone used them? How was the fit? Did they operate as originals?

Re: Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/19/15 05:40 PM

Okay, crickets....
I will start looking for some cores to rebuild.
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/19/15 05:50 PM

Earlier in the year I asked the same question and was told the repros are night-and-day different than the originals in respect to fit and function.

Rick from "Restorations by Rick" ended up selling me the correct pair for my '70 Cuda and they fit perfectly. The price was comparable to the repos and I am 100% happy with the choice.

The more parts I put on this car, the more I appreciate the original parts. I HATE, HATE, HATE thinking I am saving a buck by getting repros and end up having to settle for an ill-fit or ill-function.

Re: Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/19/15 08:35 PM

Good point.
I have had Rick rebuild a couple sets of hinges. I didn't think to check and see if he has them ready to go.
Posted By: djw383

Re: Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/19/15 09:44 PM

If you are not looking for correct year hinges for your car I believe the 70-71 hinges are better, I think. Ask Rick he will know and probably stocks both. He sold me the "better" ones and I am not certain if it is newer or older ebody. Rick is great to deal with.
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/20/15 02:14 AM

Yes, Rick is great to deal with and he had cores in stock for me so I had them nearly instantly.

He also helped me determine that someone had put B-Body hinges on my E-Body which is why the hood didn't close correctly.

All is well now.
Posted By: Grizzly69

Re: Anyone use AMD Hood Hinges? - 02/20/15 04:23 PM

I attempted to use AMD hood hinges on my '69 Charger.

Once painted and installed,

The hood could not be adjusted correctly and the hinge springs rubbed and destroyed the new paint on the underside of the hood.

The old original hinges fit fine,

Since they had been painted...AMD won't take the hinges back.

And, we had to repair the paint on the hood.

So, there goes another $250+ thrown away on reproduction parts that are total junk.
© 2024 Moparts Forums