Moparts

drill size for priming engine

Posted By: ryanf

drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:22 AM

Hello, i went to prime my 383 this weekend and ran into a snag, removed the distributor gear and tried to prime it with my cordless and Dewalt 3/8 corded drill, both failed. What size/amp drill is everyone using to prime their engine?

Thanks
Ryan
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:24 AM

My old Dewalt 14.4 volt worked fine. What weight oil and how cold?
Posted By: 440W8 Duster

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:24 AM

at least a 1/2 electric drill. a 3/8 will probably smoke after 10 seconds under load.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:27 AM

Quote:

at least a 1/2 electric drill. a 3/8 will probably smoke after 10 seconds under load.

I have always used a 3/8 drill never had an issue.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:29 AM

OT, turn the dampener till the slit is at TDC on the tab (#6 compression) & preoil then turn the dampener 3/4 of a turn CCW & preoil the other bank. That'll minimize the time. cut a strip of paper 17.082 for a ruler to go back CCW 3/4 of a turn. EDIT I'm assuming this is a new cam breakin & it'd be beneficial to do #8 then #6 then turn the dampener a slight bit more CCW so you are at 15 BTDC so you can time the dist & be sure to clock the intergear/rotor so you are on the OE #6 plug wire location in the cap (keeping OE order is beneficial). OE #6 might be horizontle pointing out sideways to the pass fender but I ain't sure as I do not know BB's very well

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:30 AM

the dewalt was a 5.8a 3/8 drill, 30w break in oil, and it was 50ish today.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:34 AM

30 weight as in straight 30 weight? If so get that crap out of there. Can you spell molasses.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:36 AM

1/2" Milwaukee , Use it with any engine oil from 5w-20 to 15w-40,,never had a problem yet

Start the drill ( 1st ) and spin the engine by hand.
Once I have oil getting to the top ,,I'll spin it with the starter with no plugs in it and no gas in the carb.

Put everything in and fire it up with no worries

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:37 AM

yes 30w, its Brad Penn Break in oil i was recommended to use

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bpo-009-7120
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:48 AM

Did you spin it CCW?

I have a black and Decker 1.2" drill with a handle, the handle is nice as it keeps from tweaking your wrist when the oil pump fills up with oil and loads down the drill.

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 05:56 AM

yes made sure it was spinning counter clockwise, sounds like any decent 1/2 corded drill should do the trick?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 06:00 AM

Well, mine was the cheapest B&D they made some 20 years ago, which probably means it's better than anything from China today. BUt it's done several big and small blcoks over hte years.
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 06:03 AM

Been using a Sears or Craftsman 1/2 "electric/with cord" drill for years. No need to get exotic, old school worked just fine then and now......
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/09/15 06:35 AM

Quote:

yes made sure it was spinning counter clockwise, sounds like any decent 1/2 corded drill should do the trick?

Your correct on that, be prepared for the drill motor wantng to twist your wrist when it pulls the oil into the pump the first time I use to use a Craftsman 5/8 drill to prime new motors back in the day when straight 50W racing oil was the hot ticket, it would almost make me do cartwheels when it caught the prime I ended up buying a old single electric hot plate (heat plate)to put under the oil pans to warm the 50W oil up for a while after that when it was colder than 40F outside air temps I now use 5W20Wt only for all my builds It flows quicker on start ups, especially cold start ups, it lubricates and cools as good as the thicker weight oils do
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/10/15 08:44 PM

Quote:

Did you spin it CCW?

That's what I wasn't sure of. I'll be priming my 400 stroker soon and was wondering if CCW or clockwise. Also, would it be a good idea to mark the distributor in relation to the block jst to get it started. Then use a timing gun to time it correctly?

Didn't mean to highjack the thread but since this member put it on the board instead of putting a whole new thread of the same subject
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/10/15 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did you spin it CCW?

That's what I wasn't sure of. I'll be priming my 400 stroker soon and was wondering if CCW or clockwise. Also, would it be a good idea to mark the distributor in relation to the block jst to get it started. Then use a timing gun to time it correctly?

Didn't mean to highjack the thread but since this member put it on the board instead of putting a whole new thread of the same subject

marking is always best but you'll either be right on or 180 off
Posted By: AndyF

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/10/15 10:03 PM

You don't need to use a drill, just use a speed wrench and an extension. If the oil pump is properly lubed then the pump will prime within just a few quick spins of the wrench. I can get 60 psi of oil pressure when turning the pump by hand which is plenty to prime the engine.

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/10/15 11:31 PM

Quote:

I'll be priming my 400 stroker soon. Also, would it be a good idea to mark the distributor in relation to the block jst to get it started. Then use a timing gun to time it correctly?

(1) turn dampener slit to TDC on the tab (#6 compression) which it will already be at if you left the timing gear dots at 6 and 12 0/clock. (2) (preoil CCW) (3) turn dampener CCW 3/4 of a turn (17.082" around the circuference with a measured strip of paper) (4) preoil CCW again (5) turn dampener CW forward 3/4 of a turn till the marks are at 15 BTDC (#6 compression). (6) clock intergear (anywhere)/install dist so rotor is under the #6 dist cap plug wire/terminal with the vac adv can in its normal BB position & maintaining the OE plug wire position is a good idea (clock the intergear to get it where you want it) & on a BB #6 may be sideways out to the pass fender but check on that (I ain't a BB guy). (7) turn housing slightly till the magnet is lined up with the tooth (rotor still under or close to under #6 plug wire terminal) and the can will shift phasing CW on a BB from its at rest position if it ain't close as is. (8) set reluctor gap at .008" (9) make a mark on the dampener 2&1/4" CW from the OE slit & have your dist guy set the timing to that when it fires (vac adv capped) for the cam breakin. (10) read "breakin secrets" at www.mototuneusa.com
Posted By: dogdays

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 12:41 AM

I used a Milwaukee 1/2" drill and it barely slowed down after it primed.
R.
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 01:47 AM

I used a very long straight screwdriver to prime a Chevy 350 20 years ago.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 03:02 AM

Just primed a 383 in a cold garage with an 18V cordless drill, no problems at all. Been using cordless drills to prime engines for years but don't use heavy oils an any of my engines.

Waste of hp.
Posted By: skicker

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 03:36 AM

Quote:

primed a 383 in a cold garage with an 18V cordless drill, no problems at all.

Used my 18v Dewalt as well...no issues.
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 04:11 PM

Quote:

You don't need to use a drill, just use a speed wrench and an extension. If the oil pump is properly lubed then the pump will prime within just a few quick spins of the wrench. I can get 60 psi of oil pressure when turning the pump by hand which is plenty to prime the engine.

Really true. I have been using a drill motor for 40 years and was too lazy to get the drill motor out a year ago. Grabbed a 1/4" drive speed wrench and had oil pressure above 60 psi in seconds.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really true. I have been using a drill motor for 40 years and was too lazy to get the drill motor out a year ago. Grabbed a 1/4" drive speed wrench and had oil pressure above 60 psi in seconds.

speed wrenches work great..
Posted By: HPMike

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 04:27 PM

Jeez....This almost sounds like an 8-3/4" thread.....

Rig up a known good mechanical gauge..I use an electric 1/2 drill....I want to spin the pump up long enough to be sure that oil makes it to the rocker shafts, so spin the motor over slowly..Be careful not to side load the drill either..Keep it straight.

MB
Posted By: SportF

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 09:34 PM

Quote:

Posted By: Twostick

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 09:35 PM

Quote:

Hello, i went to prime my 383 this weekend and ran into a snag, removed the distributor gear and tried to prime it with my cordless and Dewalt 3/8 corded drill, both failed. What size/amp drill is everyone using to prime their engine?

Thanks
Ryan

Define failed. Won't turn the pump period or will barely turn it? Like AndyF said, you can prime it by hand so just about any drill should be able to spin the pump.

Either way did you pull the pump apart and clean it before you installed it? It's not unheard of for there to be cuttings from the machining process still in the pump and that can lock it up solid or bind it up so tight it will barely turn.

Kevin

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 11:28 PM

It would not turn at all, I am borrowing a larger drill this weekend to try again. Sounds like I might have some metal shavings in my oil pump. I'll have to take a look tonight and see how difficult it will be to remove the oil pump inside my dart.

Thanks
Ryan
Posted By: rftroy

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/11/15 11:48 PM

I, as well, have always used a speed handle for engine priming.
Your problem is demonstrating why it is a better solution.
It is easy to turn the speed handle to get oil to pump. Plus, with the speed handle, you get a feel for what is going on - you should have a smooth motion through each revolution. You will feel if something is wrong, such as metal or grit in the system, which you would not feel with a drill motor.

Ryanf, if it doesn't turn easily, something is wrong! Don't get a bigger drill, you will just make things worse. Find out what the problem is.

Robert

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/12/15 03:12 AM

You might loosen the pump mounting bolts slightly then insert the intergear shaft then retighten the pump bolts. That solves a slight binding with SB's so I would assume it might be beneficial on a BB
Posted By: DDodger

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/12/15 09:32 PM

Quote:

Did you spin it CCW?

I have a black and Decker 1.2" drill with a handle, the handle is nice as it keeps from tweaking your wrist when the oil pump fills up with oil and loads down the drill.

LOL. A 1.2" would be a 'ell of a big'un This one is "only" 3/4" and nowbody I know can hang onto it by themselves. Gauwed help the soul who gets it bound up and can't "let go"

Posted By: 383man

Re: drill size for priming engine - 02/13/15 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Same here as I have done it many times with a speed wrench or a ratchet on an ext turning by hand. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums