Moparts

Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work...

Posted By: dssaa

Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 05:31 AM

I am getting ready to put in the rear window on my 68 Fastback Barracuda. The glass has what looks like streaks in it, as do the side windows. No amount of windex or glass cleaner in American can get rid of it. I tried lightly scraping a razor across it, it will not go away. Any successful suggestions? Would a buffer help? I don't want to install the rear glass only to have to throw it in the trash and ruin the new gasket I just put in. I have never came across this before. Is there an easy way to get these streaks out?
Any suggestions, I will give them a try (as long as it doesn't involve a hammer and dustpan)..
Dave in Colorado
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 05:37 AM

Did you try cleaning it with Bon Ami or similar cleaner? I have had luck with that to get a film of crud off glass cleaner didn't have much luck with.

If it is that bad, there is always an angle grinder with some 60 grit discs.
Posted By: NEVjr

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 05:38 AM

i dont know if it will help, but i have had better luck using 50/50 white vinegar and water wiped off with crumpled newspaper than i have with windex and papertowel.

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 05:39 AM

....60 grit? Oh I asked for it..
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 05:44 AM

I still use Rain-X glass cleaner and newspaper and my glass looks crystal clear........

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 05:46 AM

Quote:

....60 grit? Oh I asked for it..

As a last resort.

I have had good luck with the cleaner I mentioned for really grungy sorta glass in the past.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 06:47 AM

Newspaper,the only thing to use with any cleaner, i use vinegar-lemon juice. Most of the new stuff is so watered down with non-toxic ingredients, afraid some kid will drink it.

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 06:51 AM

Quote:

afraid some kid will drink it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rTHltSj_Q

Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 07:44 AM

I had the same problem with some Challenger glass. It looked fine unless you caught it in the right light then you could see some coloured streaks in it. Nothing would take them out, I tried everything from lacquer thinner to cut polish. Ended up throwing the glass away.

Sheldon
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 12:36 PM

SOS pads. They clean glass very well and don't scratch it. I've also used Fast Orange for nasty junkyard grunge on glass.
Posted By: Curt

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 04:31 PM

000 steel wool with CLR (calcium lime rust remover).
Curt
Posted By: Darius

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 06:03 PM

Buy some chromium oxide from a glass shop and polish them BEFORE you install them. None of these other methods would work on the glass I had. The chromium oxide cleaned them up like they were brand new( where I could reach AFTER I installed the glass). It requires a buffer so it makes a HUGE mess!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 07:16 PM

Quote:

000 steel wool with CLR (calcium lime rust remover).

I've had good luck with very fine steel wool and windex as a lubricant. Didn't have to use anything stronger (like CLR). Mine had not only a lot of dirt but also a lot of fine paint overspray. They look like new now!
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 07:32 PM

Quote:

Buy some chromium oxide from a glass shop

This is the direction I would go if the news paper doesn't work.

I was going to suggest maybe taking it to a glass shop before I read this. I figured the professionals would have the right answer.

Good Luck
Posted By: loco340cuda

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 07:40 PM

I had streaky glass on my 04 VW GTI so bad that it was hard to see out at night. The rubber molding that presses up against the glass to keep the water and dust out of the door over the years finely scratched the glass and made it look streaky (almost frosted in area's).

I bought some the Eastwood glass polish and it polished it right out and made the glass look like new. I had hard water spots on some of the other windows on the car and it cleaned those windows real nice. I am planning on polishing all the windows on my Cuda' with the Eastwood polish before I re-install them in the car.

The Eastwood system works good, but it is messy, so doing it when the glass is out of the car is the best way to do it.

Here is a link to the Eastwood polish:

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/08/15 10:22 PM

I've used Acetone (no tint of course).
Posted By: jcc

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/09/15 01:55 AM

Lots of suggestions on removal, but what is on the OP's glass in the first place? Almost sounds like the heat treat? streaks one sees sometimes with polarized sunglasses in reflected sunlight.

Re: Streaky glass...when Windex just doesnt work... - 02/09/15 04:08 AM

So..I used an SOS pad with a little vinegar/water spray, and they are cleaning right up. My guess is mineral deposits from sitting in a Nebraska cornfield for 15 years....thanks for all the great suggestions!
© 2024 Moparts Forums