Moparts

2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues

Posted By: Dodgeballs

2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/02/15 06:46 AM

So when the truck is cold, sometimes the motor will stumble and/or stall. It seems to be idling fine and has lots of power. I think it may be related to the trans as it takes a few seconds after being in neutral for the trans to move the truck. It used to be worse. I would get a shudder and take a long time to get into gear before. I changed the fluid/filter and it seemed to get better - but the old fluid and filter were clean. The it was good for a while, but started slipping again. This time the fluid was low. Like 3 quarts. The truck only has 80,000 miles on it, and I see no leaks and notice no smoke as if it was getting sucked into the motor or something weird.

I added fluid and it got better, but still is slow to get into gear and stalls. But is still better than when the problem first appeared. I am scratching my head on this.

I forgot to add - the stalling is when I come to a stop. Not when I start the car or when it's idling or driving.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/03/15 06:44 AM

Is it a 5.7 Hemi with a 45RFE trans ? Ron
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/03/15 10:06 PM

that trans is known for cracks in the trans filter that make it loose pressure thus causing slow performance and stalling.
Aftermarket filters are even worse.
Posted By: zzyzxpat

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/04/15 03:39 AM

Not so much cracking, although that has happened, the backpressure has been shown to actually split the main filter, (there are 2 in the pan),the filters tend to come loose where they are pushed up into the pump. A 125 filter seal will help hold the filter much better than a stock OE seal.
If the filter is sucking air, it cannot push the converter clutch off the lid and will drag/stall the engine.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/04/15 07:12 AM

Quote:

Not so much cracking, although that has happened, the backpressure has been shown to actually split the main filter, (there are 2 in the pan),the filters tend to come loose where they are pushed up into the pump. A 125 filter seal will help hold the filter much better than a stock OE seal.
If the filter is sucking air, it cannot push the converter clutch off the lid and will drag/stall the engine.

Same if its low on fluid as I saw that happen a few times where it stalls the eng since it can keep the clutch converter clutch from applying some on the 45 and 545RFE's. Ron

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/04/15 09:41 PM

So sorry for getting back to you guys late,

I got slammed with work and family being sick.

It is a 5.7 Hemi and, I think, a 45RFE (It's been a while since I changed the fluid and I remember being unsure of which trans it was until I pulled the pan). I can't believe I didn't put that in the post!

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/04/15 09:44 PM

What is a 125 filter seal? Is this a GM seal? I read in another thread about some GM filter or seal or something like that, but I can't find the thread.

Is this the seal?:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/64379.html

What filters/seal do you guys recommend?

Again, thanks for the answers and sorry for the late reply.

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/04/15 10:04 PM

OK.

I found the post buried many pages down.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=6#Post8401558

I will try the 125 filter seal and see if that helps.

Thank you guys!

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 Stalling/Trans Issues - 02/04/15 11:09 PM

For anyone else out there having issues, I found this youtube video talking about the filter. A commenter also brings up the 125 seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyD0LKVs8MA
© 2024 Moparts Forums