Moparts

Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables?

Posted By: Adam71Charger

Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/30/15 09:56 PM

Has anyone used these on a big block mopar? What body, engine? Which length did you use? How did it work for you? Im seeing a lot of claims that they install easy and solve a lot of issues with throttle brackets and kickdown linkages, especially if you're putting a big block in an original small block car or any instance when you dont have the right oem linkages.

Im seeing a lot of original linkages on ebay for $100 or more, thinking why not get a Lokar if they work even better and come with everything I need? The low end price for their cables is about $80.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/30/15 10:12 PM

Put a kick down setup in a 1969 roadrunner hemi and single 4 barrel carb. I have no complaints with install or operation.

customer supplied all the parts so no idea on part number we used.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 12:41 AM

I like them a lot. Easy to install, reliable and functional. The adaptability is their best feature imo. I've used them on 4 Mopar builds over the last 13 years with zero problems.

Posted By: second 70

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 12:58 AM

Quote:

Has anyone used these on a big block mopar? What body, engine? Which length did you use? How did it work for you? Im seeing a lot of claims that they install easy and solve a lot of issues with throttle brackets and kickdown linkages, especially if you're putting a big block in an original small block car or any instance when you dont have the right oem linkages.

Im seeing a lot of original linkages on ebay for $100 or more, thinking why not get a Lokar if they work even better and come with everything I need? The low end price for their cables is about $80.

Yes 1970 Cuda 426 hemi 2-4 4-speed. I believe 24"

I just removed factory cable painted a large flat washer flat black to reduce the square hole in fire wall put it on cable and tightened. Can't even tell washer isn't part of cable. Works great. Mike
Posted By: ahy

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 01:07 AM

I run a Lokar throttle cable in a '70E. Installed about 10 years ago. BB with EFI. It installed eaisly and has worked fine. From memory I cut to correct length which was easy to do.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 01:11 AM

Had one on the bracket car. After five seasons the cable frayed. Using a rod now.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 02:02 AM

I bought a truck that had a Lokar throttle cable.
I almost wrecked it on the way home do to a stuck throttle. The cable had sawed though the sleeve and was binding up. I put an OEM cable back on.

Rather than fight getting a solid kick down linkage to clear headers, I installed a Bouchillon KD kit on my '68 V100. It is heavy duty compared to Lokar and has the correct carb linkage to KD lever ratio.

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 03:29 AM

Quote:

I bought a truck that had a Lokar throttle cable.
I almost wrecked it on the way home do to a stuck throttle. The cable had sawed though the sleeve and was binding up. I put an OEM cable back on.

Rather than fight getting a solid kick down linkage to clear headers, I installed a Bouchillon KD kit on my '68 V100. It is heavy duty compared to Lokar and has the correct carb linkage to KD lever ratio.

They have multiple options for sleeve material, do you remember which type you had? Does the bouchillon kit work on edelbrock carbs and manifolds?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 04:49 AM

x2 go with a Bouchillon kickdown cable with a stock throttle cable.

yes, they have a piece that goes on the carb throttle lever for a correct mopar ratio.
Posted By: ProStock1320

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 05:23 AM

Lokar cables for the throttle & trans kick down on a 383/727 in a 56 Plymouth. I bought it that way. I've had nothing but problems with the hair thin trans cable. I have room for the factory rod linkage and may have found a set up but Bouchillon may be an option. Timely thread. Thanks.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 02:05 PM

i have used lokar throttle and kickdown cables on numerous times on different cars over the years.. never had an issue with them. install easy and work flawlessly for me. super smooth operating too.

if the cable is fraying then its installed wrong.
Posted By: PossessedDuster

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 07:32 PM

I had a lokar on my Duster. The kickdown was never right with it no matter how it was adjusted.

When I replaced it with a rod and adjusted it correctly I could see why. The geometry with the cable isn't there. You have two cables working in opposite directions where as your kickdown linkage has a slotted attachment at the carb for a reason, letting you be able to have much more adjustment.

Putting the rod back in and setting it up and the car shifted the way I always thought it should.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 08:16 PM

I'm using a Lokar cable on one of my cars and it works fine. The problem is if there's a mis-match between the length of the arm on your transmission and the pivot point on the carburetor end the adjustment will never be perfect. If I'm starting with a bunch on mismatched parts I use the Bouchillon set-up. It always comes out right.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 08:45 PM

I have a manual valve body so I just use the throttle cable. But this Lokar cable has been on my 63 since 2006 with no problems ever. Ron

Posted By: Magnum

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 10:23 PM

Be prepared to modify the kickdown cable ratio.

If you don't have the right length kickdown lever at the transmission end, modifications will be required.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 01/31/15 10:40 PM

Anybody who is happy with their Lokar Kickdown either lucked into the correct lever ratios or is content with improper shift speeds.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 02:03 PM

Quote:

Anybody who is happy with their Lokar Kickdown either lucked into the correct lever ratios or is content with improper shift speeds.

this has been my experiance as well. either late shifts, no shifts or early shifts. plus the cable seems to stretch very easily. one other thing i find troubling is the weak[by my standards] bracketry. the carb brackets as well as the transmission brackets seem to lack the strength and design necessary to not bend/move around without modification. when the weather breaks, i have a 72 duster to convert back to the original factory linkage because of the problems mentioned. in my opinion, a big waste of $85[what the owner paid for the kit.] these may work well on gm stuff[?], but i'll call junk every time on mopar applications. the transmission in this duster shifted perfectly using the stock linkage. it belonged to me, so i can testify to it's integrity. now, it's all over the place. time ran out last fall before winter's onset, or it would have been already replaced. luckily, there has been only 100 mi. or so run before parked, so i'm hoping the trans has not been smoked. and this couple are only interested in show poodles, so there were no beatings involved. for the record, i have had NO experience with the bouchillon kit, so i can't comment on that product.
Posted By: Sir Valiant

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 02:21 PM

Can't stand my Lokar!! Putting in a manual valve body until I can get a manual 5 speed conversion.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 03:34 PM

Maybe I'm just to easy but, My Lokar works fine
Posted By: FASTBACK340

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 03:46 PM

Never used their mechanical kick-down, but we use their throttle and brand X kick-down cables all the time. Beatiful product, nice quality, and in our applications, work perfect.

We used LoKar Throttle & K/D cables on the 454 swapped into this `84 Coupe deVille
Posted By: Jeff_383

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 04:00 PM

The Bouchillon kit is much better overall. I've had both.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 06:15 PM

yes...hated both. PITA to get right. Took them off at the track after one run and numerous attempts of getting them correct. Glad I brought the factory pieces with me. Put them back on mad one adjustment a rolled back into the staging lanes. Not worth the money.
Posted By: plazomat

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/01/15 11:03 PM

Have them both for about 5 years, have been trying to get them right for 5 years..just when you get them close the cable stretches and your trans don't shift right again..only heard good things about the bouch kit.

Save your money and look for something else.

Plaz

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/02/15 01:30 AM

So what Im hearing is the throttle cable has worked fine for most, but only a few have had success with the kickdown cable/brackets.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/02/15 02:21 AM

"So what Im hearing is the throttle cable has worked fine for most, but only a few have had success with the kickdown cable/brackets."

I have run the Lokar throttle cable on my race car for the past 10 years or so without any problems but when I was redoing my 68 Charger last year I went with the Bouchillon throttle/kickdown kit as it was supposed to be the easiest to install. I changed from a 383 to a 440 and the stock stuff would not work(too short).

http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEaccBracket.asp
Pretty expensive but great quality easy to install and kick down works great! It utilizes stock throttle cable and the kick down is adjustable so you can dial in your kick down.
Mike

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/02/15 04:00 PM

Quote:

So what Im hearing is the throttle cable has worked fine for most, but only a few have had success with the kickdown cable/brackets.

You need to ask yourself WHY? Why do I need an aftermarket set-up. I have modified factory pieces to suit my needs. The throttle cable takes like 10 minutes. I managed to use the stock throttle cable (off a b-body big block) for my 440-6 stage VI headed w/ 1/2" spacers engine. Al It requires is adding some lenght to it.
Posted By: pjc360

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/03/15 11:57 PM

I run a lokar throttle valve cable on my A-518 on my carburated 360 magnum in my 91 half ton truck. It's been descent, it's a little worn out. But I spent a lot of time adjusting it and messing with it too get my transmission shifting the way I wanted it to. Which wore the cable out a little bit, and in my opinion thier throttle valve cable for the A-518 is over priced, I don't think it was worth 80 dollars. And like others have said my shift timing still isn't exactly how I want it, it's some what close but not perfect.

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/05/15 09:10 AM

Not so much interested in the Throttle cable as I am the kickdown.

I saw the 'better' bracket in the lokar catalog (the one that attaches to the back 2 bolts of the eddy carbs) and it was made to hold both their throttle and kickdown cables so thats why I was interested in the pair.

Im putting a 77 400 with aluminum intake and eddy carb into a 1970 Polara that currently has a 318. If I dont have a kickdown lever that fits right, Id rather just install a cable instead of fabricating. Got too many projects going on right now.

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/05/15 03:37 PM

Just go on e-bay and buy one for a BB mopar. It will work. I gave my last complete set away or I'd give you a deal. The cable will be more of a hassle. You should be fine. You only get into trouble when you use a high rise intake. I had a 440 w/ RPM, 1/2 spacer and Holley 750 and used the stock 440 unit.

Re: Anyone used Lokar Kickdown and throttle Cables? - 02/05/15 03:38 PM

here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/kick-down-727-tr...ac8&vxp=mtr
© 2024 Moparts Forums