Moparts

A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question

Posted By: blown340

A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 06:26 AM

My 71 scamp is due for new tires as the ones on it are ancient. The car is stock and restored and I want to keep the 14" wheel size and the original hubcaps but the original wheels are very narrow which really bulges out the sidewalls on even a narrow tire. To get the tires to mount with less sidewall bulge I'd like to go with a wider rim. So to the odd question..

I can get 14x6.5 or 14x7 used 5x4 bolt pattern rally wheels really cheap. Could I mount my OEM hubcaps to them?

I know sticking with the 14's is generally a fairly dumb idea, but I've had this car since I was 14 and it was originally bought new by my grandmother so I kinda like it how it is.

Thanks,
-Jon
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 06:29 AM

So who made the wheels? Usually they use the factory centers with wider hoops, so they should still be able to work.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 07:11 AM

Hubcaps (dog dish caps) will not mount to Rallye wheels, there are no numbs to hold them.

If it actually has full wheel covers, then they should work. I have a set of 14" Rallyes here & a few examples of 14" wheel covers, I can check on it for you if needed.

Re: A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 07:45 AM

Quote:

Hubcaps (dog dish caps) will not mount to Rallye wheels, there are no numbs to hold them.

If it actually has full wheel covers, then they should work. I have a set of 14" Rallyes here & a few examples of 14" wheel covers, I can check on it for you if needed.

That would be great if you could check. For clarification these are full wheel covers, not the dog dish caps. I'll snap a picture and add it to the post.

Thanks again,
-Jon

Re: A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 08:26 AM

I can do it tomorrow.

Until then, I did mean nubs.

Re: A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 05:18 PM

I tried two different 1970 wheel covers on 5.5" wide 14" Rallye rims. They fit great, not easy to install just like the regular steel wheels so you should be fine.

Re: A very odd hubcap/ralley wheel question - 01/18/15 07:33 PM

Quote:

I tried two different 1970 wheel covers on 5.5" wide 14" Rallye rims. They fit great, not easy to install just like the regular steel wheels so you should be fine.

Thanks, I really appreciate your checking for me! Here's a picture of the car. If it looks much different on the wider wheels I'll post a update.

Thanks again,
-Jon

Attached picture 8400317-Copyof100_1235.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums