Moparts

'13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic

Posted By: dstryr

'13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/06/15 10:55 PM

Need some quick help, driving in city traffic and my truck just shut down, coasted into a parking lot and can not get the key out and can not get out of park now...and I'm 160 miles from home..
Any ideas to get me rolling greatly welcome!
Thanks!
Posted By: burdar

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/06/15 11:08 PM

You'd probably get more views in the "General" section. What city are you in right now? Good luck!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/06/15 11:50 PM

Sounds electrical so check the fuses under the hood. And the battery cables also.

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 12:27 AM

Checked fuses, tried a jump just in case, can not turn the key to 'off', can not shift out of park....interior und underhood lights work great but no power to my usb or 12v ports to keep my phone charged...wth???
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 12:29 AM

Quote:

Checked fuses, tried a jump just in case, can not turn the key to 'off', can not shift out of park....interior und underhood lights work great but no power to my usb or 12v ports to keep my phone charged...wth???

Time to call Chrysler roadside assistance?

800-521-2779

Robert
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 12:44 AM

Or, call a Dodge dealer - the service guys should be able to walk you through this...

Good luck.

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 02:53 AM

Just got towed, nobody could or wanted to answer what happened...will dig for answers and let you guys know...won't see a service tech until tomorrow and have a brother in law in town so at least have a place to stay.
Posted By: TJP

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 03:56 AM

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. I'll agree with the others that it's an electrical issue and should be a fairly quick fix for someone familiar with the electrical layout in these trucks. IE: Fuse, relay, etc.

keep us posted.
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 04:52 AM

Sounds like the WCM

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 05:51 AM

Quote:

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. I'll agree with the others that it's an electrical issue and should be a fairly quick fix for someone familiar with the electrical layout in these trucks. IE: Fuse, relay, etc.

keep us posted.

Hey, Tim, nice chatting....I ended up talking with a couple of service guys and neither one offered a thought but they'll squeeze it in tomorrow.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 08:35 AM

I had my 12 ram kill on me as I was rolling in the driveway. took it in and they found the wire going to the fuel pump had been crimped off some how. something to check..

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 08:47 PM

I talked to my service manager a few miutes ago...ignition module failed, where the key goes in...why? it just did...$460 parts and labor...and no help from Chrylser on a goodwill warranty at 47k miles...

A few weeks ago I was in for service to reflash my radio, the internal phone for 911, sirius tuner, bluetooth, all quit working. That was just a reflash and Chrylser did warranty that...

I am becoming less of a fan of electronics...when the module fails how would you put in neutral to move the truck, etc? You CAN'T...

Anyway, will be on the road by late afternoon.
Thanks, guys!
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 10:58 PM

Definitely electrical if it won't release the key. Maybe the charging system went out and you drove the battery flat. Or, if you're saying the lights are BRIGHT... perhaps a run wire or fuse/fusible link like already mentioned

Years ago I took my 2005 hemi in for a TSB PCM update flash, and shortly thereafter it just flat-out quit at one intersection. That was unnerving. That stuff was supposed to fade away with carburetors. When I got it going again, something was scrambled and it was in limp mode with no transmission shifting. I had to cycle it again for it to clear out. I hate electronics
Posted By: TJP

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 11:03 PM

thanks for the follow up. I'd request the part(s) back and b-tch up a storm. ignition switch failures seem all too common these days. A 2 or so year old truck with 47K on it????
How long have we been making ignition switches / modules???? Sheesh!!!

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/07/15 11:09 PM

Quote:

thanks for the follow up. I'd request the part(s) back and b-tch up a storm. ignition switch failures seem all too common these days. A 2 or so year old truck with 47K on it????

Something from 2013 still be under a bumper to bumper warranty. I can't see paying money for this problem. What's going on with that, OP?

I'd be screaming from the mountain if something wasn't covered under warranty less than 2 years from date of purchase.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Something from 2013 still be under a bumper to bumper warranty. I can't see paying money for this problem. What's going on with that, OP?

I'd be screaming from the mountain if something wasn't covered under warranty less than 2 years from date of purchase.

Don't know about the trucks but my car is 3 years 36,000 miles.

Robert

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 12:10 AM

I did a quick check. my 05 truck was 7/70. 2014s seem to be 5/100,000. Should be fine. Maybe there's more to the story

Maybe it's in the details. Electrical may not be under powertrain.

Either way, that's a crap warranty. I don't care how it's structured, if there's a way they can screw you after 2 years, it's wrong.

I remember sitting in the dealer buying my '05 that January, with the big fat sales boss sweating over me telling me I should buy an additional warranty to cover things like the "engine computer" failing. That statement and his slavering delivery almost caused me to turn down the deal. I said "why would the computer go bad?"

I guess that sort of thing does happen, but to organize the warranty to exclude responsibility is BS
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 12:25 AM

Quote:

I did a quick check. my 05 truck was 7/70. 2014s seem to be 5/100,000. Should be fine. Maybe there's more to the story

Maybe it's in the details. Electrical may not be under powertrain.

Either way, that's a crap warranty. I don't care how it's structured, if there's a way they can screw you after 2 years, it's wrong.

I remember sitting in the dealer buying my '05 that January, with the big fat sales boss sweating over me telling me I should buy an additional warranty to cover things like the "engine computer" failing. That statement and his slavering delivery almost caused me to turn down the deal. I said "why would the computer go bad?"

I guess that sort of thing does happen, but to organize the warranty to exclude responsibility is BS

Electrical is not covered under powertrain. Might be under a 3/36 bumper to bumper but the OP said the truck had 47K on it. Not saying it's right...just the way it is. 47K is a lot of miles on a '13. I have a '13 with just over 10K on it

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 12:41 AM

You can call Chrysler directly. It's worth a try. For $500 bucks, I wouldn't even hesitate.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 12:42 AM

Seems that on earlier models there was a recall for this problem.Chrysler safety recall k08 issued in August 2010.
Posted By: clemul

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 12:54 AM

Had similar thing happen in brothers truck. Is key stuck and doesn't go in park? Try this may help you. We took his brand new truck out on first trip and had same problem you described. Used thin torx screwdriver to depress override. Hope this helps. Worked fine after that

Page 307 What to do in emergencies

http://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-RAM_ProMaster-OM-3rd.pdf

SHIFT LEVER OVERRIDE
If a malfunction occurs and the shift lever cannot be moved out of the PARK position, you can use the following procedure to temporarily move the shift lever:
1. Turn the engine off.
2. Firmly apply the parking brake.
3. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool, remove the shift lever override access cover which is located below the shift lever.
4. Press and maintain firm pressure on the brake pedal.
5. Insert the screwdriver or similar tool into the access port, and push and hold the override release lever forward.
6. Move the shift lever to the NEUTRAL position. 7. The vehicle may then be started in NEUTRAL. 8. Reinstall the shift lever override access cover.

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't know about the trucks but my car is 3 years 36,000 miles.

Robert

Yep - 3/36 on something like this. I have been leasing Rams since 2006 so I don't get the "fun" with issues like this anymore. If the lease deals are no good anymore, I'll be buying something a year from now.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 01:55 AM

Could be considered a safety defect which would get it escalated but you really have to work hard to make stuff like that happen. The local guys will blow you off. Usually takes someone who knows someone to get some action on an issue like that.
Posted By: moon

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 01:56 AM

2013 Ram my Sirius radio quit. FM/Am worked fine. called Sirius and they said to call dealer. I tried everything, then one day I unhooked battery for about 30 minutes. Reconnected battery and everything started working fine. I think it just needed to reset.
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/08/15 06:32 PM

Had the same thing happen to me in my 2004 Cummins, while pulling a 48' enclosed trailer on my way to the track in Indy! Was on the interstate on the west side of Indy. Fortunately it was at 1 am in the morning and not a lot of traffic.
Found out later, it was the throttle position sensor switch, had to replace, it was like $600.00. Was told if it happens again, turn the ignition switch off and on rapidly about 6 times and it would temporarily fix it.
Believe me when your truck and race trailer just goes dead on an interstate, it is a sick feeling!!! HEMI JOE
Posted By: kpkube

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/09/15 05:01 AM

My '04 RAM 1500 stalls after filling the gas tank if I top it off. Still can't figure out why it does it. I just stop filling when the pump stops.

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/09/15 04:15 PM

evap system problem most likely. There is a known issue on the early trucks where an automatic gas pump won't fill the tank if you just pulled into the station and start pumping. the work around is to wait like 45-60 seconds and then start filling. really quite lame. I'm sure what you're experiencing is related to that, perhaps fuel getting into the vapor line

The pump went out on my 05 after about 50,000 miles, which I thought was odd. Took the tank apart. The factory fuel pump housing was cracked into about 7 pieces and the tank lock ring looked like it had sunk with the titanic

Only a couple year olds at that point

I don't know how they can get away with stuff like this

My woman wants a new Challenger but if they build them this same way... I'm the one stuck doing the service

Re: '13 RAM 1500 just shut off in traffic - 01/09/15 05:04 PM

Everything in this thread reminds me of the scene in Jaws where Hooper is loading all kinds of high-tech gizmos onto Quint's boat & old-school Quint is standing there shaking his head basically - asking Hooper what all the items are. Quint concludes all the effectiveness of the stuff by saying something to the effect of "I suppose our shark might just eat this stuff."
© 2024 Moparts Forums