Moparts

Testing circuit board out of car?

Posted By: 340wedge

Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/02/15 04:35 PM

Is there a way to test these circuit boards out of the car? I would like to know they all work before removing the dash. One of my blinker light contacts on the old board is toast. Thank you

Attached picture 8382271-20150101_235735_resized.jpg
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/02/15 05:12 PM

Basically what I am seeing is a circuit board that looks like an assembly of really flat wires.
You could use an ohmmeter to check continuity between the two ends of each conductor, otherwise I think I'd be doing a visual check and then go on with the show.

R.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/02/15 05:30 PM

I would put a bulb in each holder and wire 12 volts and a ground.
some run through 2 pins, the others appear to ground at screw holes.

shouldn't be too tough to verify they light up and light up well.

continuity doesn't prove they can support the load, just that there is a connection.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/02/15 06:06 PM

An ohmmeter is your best bet HOWEVER, if the circuit board isn't cracked and none of the copper strips are scored, its highly unlikely there will be any problems with it. From what I see in the photo I'd trust it to be good.

Before you put it in the car, lightly clean the contacts with a fine scotchbright pad to remove any oxidation.

Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/02/15 07:55 PM

And of course your FSM...Factory Service Manual...will guide you through testing. You do have one yes????
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/03/15 01:46 AM

Thank you all, I will use the Ohm meter, and yes I do have the factory manual, albeit on CD..
Posted By: dynorad

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/05/15 08:52 PM

I have had to solder the connector pins to the copper to get a reliable connection on one of mine. Other than that you can look at the board and see everything.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Testing circuit board out of car? - 01/05/15 09:09 PM

An ohmmeter is good for gross faults, but a load (running lights in this case) will be better.

I have also soldered the pins, be a smart move to do it anyway since it's out. Clean up the bare copper where things connect, slip in a bulb and holder then light it up. If you are feeling real picky you can use a hair drier to heat things up and see if it fails then.
© 2024 Moparts Forums