Moparts

Pistol grip shifter

Posted By: blkbee6pack

Pistol grip shifter - 12/23/14 02:41 PM

Went to the cruise in last Was talking to a guy that said he had ordered a 1968 GTX from the dealer, 440 4 speed and it had a pistol grip shifter. I thought the pistol grip was only in 1970 and newer. When was it an option?
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/23/14 03:07 PM

not in 68....if I had a dollar for every person who had a hemi in the 60's/70's I could buy a crate motor...same BS here....also...one guy tells me his 71 AAR cuda...340/6 pack ran 130mph in the qtr...stock...could tell stories for hours
Posted By: rattler

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/23/14 04:53 PM

Same here. I like the stories that start out with "I had one just like that, but" followed by it was a different color, motor, interior, and even brand.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/24/14 01:52 AM

I always like the ones that start out with "I had one of those with a 383/440 Hemi in it".
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/24/14 03:27 AM

Listen boy, I had a 65 Cuda with a 413 Hemi, that's right I said HEMI, and a 5-speed muncie with a hurst pistol grip shifter. Came fact'ry with a CD player and deelay wipers.

Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/24/14 04:59 AM

A guy at a show once told me he had a 70 GTX exactly like mine. I asked what engine, colors, interior, airgrabber, etc. and he said well, if I had one it would be just like your's.
Okeedoke!
Posted By: steve70

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/24/14 02:26 PM

I had my 4 speed T/A at a cruise in one night and a guy came up to me and said he had one a long time ago but it was hugger orange with the his/hers automatic.

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/24/14 02:53 PM

Last night on grave yard cars they even had that question on the show. So 1970 was the first year for the pistol grip
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/24/14 10:25 PM

Quote:

A guy at a show once told me he had a 70 GTX exactly like mine. I asked what engine, colors, interior, airgrabber, etc. and he said well, if I had one it would be just like your's.
Okeedoke!

And you said what?or did you just say O?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/25/14 02:53 PM

at least those old timers keep their stories all "mopar" by telling you their 68 mopar had options on it that weren't available until 70.

just yesterday, I had to listen to a guy tell me about how his father-in-law's 2012 Hemi ram, you could turn off the Eco-boost option, and it would get sideways at 55mph on the highway. bone stock 5.7L 2wd HemiRam.

First, I thought Eco Boost was a turbocharging system....by ford...and that you can't turn it "off"

needless to say, I got schooled yesterday on stuff I didn't know.

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/25/14 05:09 PM

I need to prove to him that the pistol grip was 1970 and newer, to WIN the bet. What can I print off to show it?

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/25/14 05:51 PM

It really won't matter what you show him Mike. These "experts" know more than we do. Remember, you can't fix stupid.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/25/14 09:23 PM

Yup..
These type guys are @ all the car shows..
Just go with the flow..

The best stories I have heard are...
A guy bought a his & hers AARs in 1970, 1 was Pink and 1 was Yellow. Both had 440 Hemis installed, and were tuned by his close friend/neighbor Richard Petty..

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: OA5599

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/25/14 09:52 PM

Stopped to fill up the Cuda when a rotted out 80s S-10 rolls up. The dude with no shoes gets out and makes a mad dash for me and asked if it had a 400 in it. I told him it was a 340. He quickly responded by telling me that the good Cudas all had 400s in them. I shrugged my shoulders and told him I couldn't afford a '69 Cuda with a factory 400, so I had to just settle for a 340 car.

Also, at a local small town car show, I had a gentleman kind enough to aggressively point out that the water pump was not concourse correct. Mind you, he looked past the MSD box, TTI headers, aluminum radiator, Eddy heads and intake, and Holley carb...but the water pump really got his goat. He actually seemed angry about it. I just told him I couldn't find a correct one and excused myself.

I'm getting to old too argue about a hobby that is supposed to be fun.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/26/14 07:16 PM

the FSM for 1968 will NOT have the Hurst Pistol grip in it. Allpar.com will have 1970 Mopar option lists. I'm positive I've seen 1970 literature that states it is a new option. Barry (Alaska TA) might have it. The pistol grip is a big deal for MOPAR guys. It is one of the coolest options ever to come on a muscle car and exclusively Chrysler. Have him sign up on Moparts and pose the question. Not a single person will agree with him and 2000 guys will tell him he's crazy.
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/27/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Not a single person will agree with him and 2000 guys will tell him he's crazy.

But we'll all be wrong. I agree with the earlier statement - you can't fix stupid.
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/27/14 04:39 AM

Pulled into a gas station with my Dart. On the other side of the pump was some teenage kid with a mid to late 80s suburban. He says to me that my car sounds sweet. I said thanks, and he says, I think mine beats it. He then proceeds to start his truck. I had to keep from laughing. It was a stock probably 350, factory single exhaust, possibly with headers. Mines 2.5 dual exhaust with Flowtech Raptor mufflers.
Posted By: OA5599

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/27/14 08:20 PM

I had a guy in an S-10 with a 4.3 expelling gasses into a 4" flex Y-pipe and no muffler tell me the same thing at a car show after he parked beside of me. I told him it sounded good, as I'm sure he didn't have the funds for a nice car with sweet exhaust. It got awkward when he asked if he could sit in my car with it running, as he has back problems and said the lopey idle would feel good on his back. I could not make this stuff up. I need to drive the car more often, take notes, write a book, and just retire off of the stories... Lol.
Posted By: red 69 runner

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/28/14 03:23 PM

My neighbor said he had a 68 Coronet with the 383 six pack,I said you should have held onto that rare car.He agreed
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/28/14 03:27 PM

Had a guy at the track tell me that he had an "original factory" '67 Hemi Barracuda 4 speed. Even his kid was rolling his eyes.

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/29/14 12:50 AM

I even had two older fellows at a show argue that the pistol grip in my 70 440-4 speed GTX was not a factory shifter. They were sure that it was aftermarket.

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/29/14 12:53 AM

Oh, and one of my all time favorites. A guy at the Hardees drive up window told me the only thing my car was missing was the rebel flag on the roof. I was driving a 71 Cuda convertible, Torr-red, 340-4 speed, and the top was down.
Posted By: Big Wedge

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 12/29/14 03:58 AM

I had a good chuckle out of the stories here.

The best one I had was last summer. I pulled into the local gas station for gas. I do my own so I politely told the youngster I would take care of it. He was really impressed with the 70 Challenger and asked a few questions. The most important one was what was under the hood. I told him a big block Dodge around 500 cubic inches. He exclaimed that it must be really fast. I told him it runs the 1/4 mile in the 10.7 range. Wow how did you accomplish that he asked, is it chipped?

Garth

Attached picture 8376777-scan0037_001.jpg

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/06/15 03:52 PM

HELP. I am sick of going to the local Monday cruise in and hearing the (BOW TIE) guy tell me I am full of ****. that he ordered a 68 GTX and it came with a pistol grip shifter. Is there ANY THING I can down load or can anyone post and I can copy to prove 1970 was the 1st year for the pistol grip?
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/06/15 04:00 PM

Just except stupid for stupid and move on.
Matt

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/08/15 04:59 PM

I can not let go. Our Monday night cruise in has over 400 cars coming and going door prizes,50/50 drawing, venders. tons of fun. I work 10 to 12 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week. The cruise is my only night out and I look forward to it I refuse to let this ***hole hound me all night to pay the bet. Someone has to have anything that I can prove that the pistol grip first came out in the 1970 cars not 68. Please help me.
Posted By: gss

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/08/15 05:22 PM

Quote:

I can not let go. Our Monday night cruise in has over 400 cars coming and going door prizes,50/50 drawing, venders. tons of fun. I work 10 to 12 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week. The cruise is my only night out and I look forward to it I refuse to let this ***hole hound me all night to pay the bet. Someone has to have anything that I can prove that the pistol grip first came out in the 1970 cars not 68. Please help me.

It took about 30 seconds to google this:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=0TOWAZ...%3F&f=false
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/08/15 11:03 PM

Quote:

I need to prove to him that the pistol grip was 1970 and newer, to WIN the bet. What can I print off to show it?

dealer lit for '68 & '69 will show what shifters were available...and not a Pistol Grip in site.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 11:34 AM

Quote:

Matt

Accept***
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Accept***

Oh the ironing!
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Accept***

Oh the ironing!

Are you shure, Scott?

On a serious note, here's a scan of the 1970 Charger brochure that shows the pistol grip, but makes no mention of it.

Attached picture 8454161-1970DodgeCharger-05.jpg
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Accept***

Oh the ironing!

LOL sometimes typing what you are thinking is harder than it looks.....
Matt
Posted By: dan9

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 06:47 PM

My guess is when you show him this proof he will claim pistol grip meant that wood looking ball if it had a Hurst in it.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 07:01 PM

I go to shows and say all that chit just to bug you guys ... I'll usually mention I had a '74 Duster with the 340 hemi ... and it had those long rams on it ... but 'cause I had a family it was a 4-door ... and I bought it new.

Kiddin' !!! I just listen and smile. You can't argue with them.
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 07:55 PM

I had a guy at a show tell me he liked my Charger...but was going to "call me" on the engine color" Said all 69's were orange...

Told him....huh.... its a 68....

moron..

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 08:38 PM

That Allpar.com link by Rick Ehrenberg. He'd tell your guy he's on crack.

Attached picture 8454465-Alpar.png

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 08:39 PM

Want to get him laughed at? Have him call Brewer's Performance.

Attached picture 8454467-Brewers.png

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 08:42 PM

Want someone to tell him he's an all-out retard? Have him call Mike Ross at B/E&A. Please record this conversation if you can...

Attached picture 8454471-BE&A.png

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 09:02 PM

Here's the pistol grip shifter parts page on YearOne.com. See something missing?

Attached picture 8454480-YearOne2.png

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/09/15 09:03 PM

Like maybe the date 1968? Oh! Here it is!!!

Attached picture 8454482-YearOne.png
Posted By: dan9

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/10/15 04:14 PM

It does get interesting when someone stops to chat. Sometimes at first you think you may learn something then you find out you won't. I stopped to check a guy's newer Corvette to see what they looked like inside. He asked if I ever had one. I said I had owned 2 at one time. When I told him I had owned a 90 ZR-1 he replied they never made them in 1990. I told him they did and I may know more about a 90 ZR-1 than anyone he knows. Later he chases me down and said he consulted with his Corvette buddies and said he was right , I said ok you win. My wife was upset that I let him win, I am more open minded than any of my 3 wives would think.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Pistol grip shifter - 03/10/15 07:30 PM

I overheard one know-it-all at a show telling how the Gunslinger automatic pistol grip shifter was factory and he was really starting to attract a crowd with other bs.
I interjected and figured I'll one up him.
I proceeded to tell him that I had been involved with the development of the pistol grip shifter when I was in the military, and used to work on it in my spare time.
Told him one time, I accidently parachuted into a Turkish prison and held everyone at bay with my proto-type shifter handle before making my escape.
I then walked away leaving him in silence...always counter bs with more bs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums