Moparts

Lets talk headlights..

Posted By: astjp2

Lets talk headlights.. - 12/21/14 06:45 AM

So why can't we run 4 high/low beam bulbs in a car that has 4 holes? I am just curious because I am thinking of installing a relay system that would run 8 elements at one time (all 4 highs and lows at the same time) with the system in high and only 2 elements on low beams. Why would it not work? Tim
Posted By: stinger

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/21/14 03:38 PM

Not DOT legal
Posted By: jcc

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/21/14 03:43 PM

I am planning on that solution with mine. I asked a similar question here previously, and other then legality, which around here must be a joke with all the blinding myriad hybrid led/halogen/arc/etc systems running around on the loose, the only downside that seemed to have merit, was overheating the lamps. For the little time I run high beams, I'm going to try it.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/21/14 04:02 PM

Physically - there's no reason you can't.

Effect - It's only going to make the area of light, already well lit, even brighter. This will increase the contrast with the unlit areas - making it harder for you and other drivers to see on the edges.

Good night lighting is about shape and placement of the beams as much as the intensity. You want to spread enough light over the road and edges, without glare or getting it in the opposing drivers eyes.

With 4 holes, get the best lighting from your basic hi/low, then increase the distance of the high beam coverage (where light is lost due to distance) for highways. For lots of twisty dark roads, cornering lights would be a useful supplement. For lots of dark highspeed highway driving, driving lights that reach even further than your high beams could be useful. For very very foggy areas, fog lights might be useful if you must crawl through the stuff especially if you are using standard sealed beams.

Personally I've come to be a big fan of good H4 type lamps in standard wattage. See what competition stage and road rally folks are doing. Good lighting is critical for them. Lots to learn from them.

Using web search terms such as cibie beam pattern will turn up both diagrams and photos, including some comparisons.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 02:44 AM

Relays and E-code retrofits. Problem solved. End of discussion.

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 05:48 AM

I ran the KC quad beams in 2 jeeps in Alaska, they are absolutely wonderful when you click the high beams. I was just thinking that I could save some money and build my harnesses myself and trigger everything off of one high/low input. I found all of the connectors and relays, it should cost less than $60 with all new parts and I think that I will use a hella conversion lamp and 3 relays with 16 ga wire with 65w bulbs I should be able to wire up a nice and hidden setup. Tim
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 05:54 AM

when I setup the headlights on my 87 Diplomat (4 quad lights) I did things a bit differently. I used the stock headlight dimmer (on the column) to switch the high beams on the outer pair of bulbs, I wired so that in "high" both the high and low beams came on. These were a set of Hella H4 housings and bulbs.

I installed a floor mounted dimmer (like my 65 Cuda has) to control the inner high beam only lights. Those were a set of genuine aircraft landing lights that I used to light up the backwoods highway I used to drive regularly. Of course I had to reconfigure for my annual inspection but it was interesting having the options.

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 06:04 AM

GE4509's?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 06:18 AM

use bigger wire...

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 06:26 AM

for 65 watts? I need to check a wire chart to calculate the correct size then. Tim
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 06:37 AM

Quote:

for 65 watts? I need to check a wire chart to calculate the correct size then. Tim

You building a race car where weight is important? That's about the only reason to run smaller wire. The weight delta is so small it's insignificant.

I use 12GA in the kits I build to minimize voltage drop. A 10% voltage drop on headlights results in a greater than 10% drop in output.

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 07:19 AM

no, I typically use MIL-W-22759 (M22759) wire which I can use 1-2 sizes smaller than SAE wiring for the same current rating. I have about 70# of wire so most of the wires will be white....Tim

http://www.awcwire.com/producttoc.aspx?id=mil-spec-wire
Posted By: 383man

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 02:02 PM

Of course on cars that are stock the wire harness may not plug in and if it does its still only 2 wires where it needs 3 so you have to wire it right. Other then then that and not legal it should be no problem. And many of us rewire the headlite systems anyway on our old muscle cars. Ron
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 03:47 PM

Quote:

GE4509's?

Similar, except rectangular
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/22/14 04:25 PM

Quote:

no, I typically use MIL-W-22759 (M22759) wire which I can use 1-2 sizes smaller than SAE wiring for the same current rating. I have about 70# of wire so most of the wires will be white....Tim

Nice! You could easily color code for your own sanity with colored electrical tape.
Stock wiring on a-bodies was but 18 ga all the way from dimmer to headlamps. On everything else it was 16 ga. In theory 18 ga was sufficient for a pair of 55/60 watt bulbs. Of course we all know how badly that worked out in reality.

When I switched to relays, I used tin coated (stranded) wire from the marine supply along with marine grade fuse holders. I hate oxidized copper.

Re: Lets talk headlights.. - 12/23/14 05:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice! You could easily color code for your own sanity with colored electrical tape.
Stock wiring on a-bodies was but 18 ga all the way from dimmer to headlamps. On everything else it was 16 ga. In theory 18 ga was sufficient for a pair of 55/60 watt bulbs. Of course we all know how badly that worked out in reality.

When I switched to relays, I used tin coated (stranded) wire from the marine supply along with marine grade fuse holders. I hate oxidized copper.

This is silver/tin plated wire, more strands per gauge also. The more strands, the more amps you can handle per a given gauge. Tim
© 2024 Moparts Forums