Moparts

Vinyl Seat Dye

Posted By: Adam71Charger

Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/15/14 11:16 PM

What have you guys used for Vinyl Dye? I have some tan seats and door panels I want black. I started using VHT vinyl dye with well prepped panels, and the VHT dye is really more of a paint it ended up peeling.
Posted By: ply478

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/15/14 11:21 PM

SEM Products!
Posted By: RJS

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/15/14 11:24 PM

I never personally did seats but did a Tan Dash pad to Black, and just yesterday a Red Tuff Wheel . I always use SEM Landau Black but recently buy it in quarts and shoot right out of my gun. Much better coverage with the gun. The flash is making it look more gloss than actual.

I will be buying White this week to dye my plastic interior panels also.
Ron

Attached picture 8363307-IMG_0556(Large).JPG
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/15/14 11:25 PM

They were my next call actually
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/16/14 12:53 AM

I've used the SEM for my door panels and for my back seat. Worked great still looks good a couple years later.

I started out with the Landau Black, but it was a little too glossy. Then I switched to the Satin Black and I'm much happier, not so shiny.
Posted By: OneBadBeagle

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/16/14 01:04 AM

Also have had plenty of success and no failures with the SEM system
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/16/14 01:09 AM

FYI SEM is paint. There is no dye for vinyl.
Posted By: jose jones

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/16/14 01:12 AM

I have had great luck using SEM brand
Posted By: TJP

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/16/14 03:55 AM

Quote:

FYI SEM is paint. There is no dye for vinyl.

what is called dye is actually paint to one degree or another and typically will not hold up on hard wear items like FRONT seat covers. I suggest buying Black seat covers. My
Posted By: 2Red2LoudDodge

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/23/14 10:37 PM

Buy the SEM soap to clean surfaces and prep before you dye. Goes without saying, wear gloves and keep everything clean. I dyed a B5 blue buddy seat black and was happy with results and how it's held up.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Vinyl Seat Dye - 12/24/14 08:45 AM

I've used SEM "Color Coat" vinyl aerosol sprays many times on several cars. The stuff is great! I just did a blue back seat. Switched it to brown and it looks new! I cleaned it thoroughly with 70% Alcohol. I swear by the stuff. Summit carries it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums