Moparts

Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin?

Posted By: Ludington1

Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/06/09 11:25 PM

Where can I find the plastic bushing and roll pin that goes in the distributor shaft and holds it against the housing? I've got a cracked one here, and checked Rock Auto and Advance and don't see it listed anywhere.

Thanks Moparts!
Darren
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/06/09 11:32 PM

That's a good question. The roll pin can be got at most hardware stores. The plastic collar is a whole different deal. I'm thinking you might have to get a old dist. to get the collar.

Maybe someone else knows where to get one?

Good luck and a
Posted By: SPWC

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/06/09 11:57 PM

I think the Plastic gear and roll pin for a /6 is still available through the dealer,I dont see why the plastic collar and Roll pin for a V8 dizzy wouldnt be.

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 12:03 AM

Quote:

I think the Plastic gear and roll pin for a /6 is still available through the dealer,I dont see why the plastic collar and Roll pin for a V8 dizzy wouldnt be.

Good idea... you guys got any dealers left nearby?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 12:05 AM

Last time I needed one they were still available through the dealer.
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 12:07 AM

Sounds like something you could get from mcmastercar (www.mcmaster.com) It is just a sleeve with a hole in it.

A brass or a steel one would work (if you use steel buy a nylon washer to go between the bushing and the dist. Hell you could make a drill stop work if you had some time...

Also a machinist should be able to make one w/o any trouble it is just some round stock w/ a hole in the center w/a hole for the roll pin.

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

Sounds like something you could get from mcmastercar (www.mcmaster.com) It is just a sleeve with a hole in it.

A brass or a steel one would work (if you use steel buy a nylon washer to go between the bushing and the dist. Hell you could make a drill stop work if you had some time...

Also a machinist should be able to make one w/o any trouble it is just some round stock w/ a hole in the center w/a hole for the roll pin.

I was actually wondering... I've got a collar with a set screw, 1/2" inside diameter, I guess that would work? I can try the dealer tomorrow, but I haven't had much luck with parts guys at the local dealer being interested in looking things up.

Thanks,
Darren

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

or

I was thinking about washers or sleeve to control end play and install the roll pin and be done.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 12:56 AM

What is the part number of the distributor?

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 01:07 AM

It is the original from my 69 R/T, not sure what the part number is, I will have to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks guys... had a few strange questions this week.

Darren
Posted By: blue67440's

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 01:14 AM

There was someone selling new ones on ebay a few months back, did you look there?
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 01:15 AM

Hey Darren, what's up. If you get the # I can check my stash. If it's the old style it's a bushing and a washer, newer style is all together. I have a bunch of old dist around, just did the same for the RR. If I don't have one, and I'm sure I may, my neighbor works at Hollywood Chrysler/Jeep and he could find it if it's avalible. Drop me a line. John
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 01:18 AM

This is the part number, 2084448, for the service package for a 383 & 440 single point distributors. Maybe someone can supply the superseded part numbers.

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 01:30 AM

Thanks everyone! If someone can get a current part number, that will make the local parts guys a lot more pleasant to deal with.

John - I appreciate it, mine is the plastic collar with the thin washer between it and the distributor housing.

Thanks,
Darren

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 01:42 AM

I got a very nice PM from a member, so consider this one solved. Only remaining problem is that his PM box if full!

Darren
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 02:34 AM

Quote:

I got a very nice PM from a member, so consider this one solved. Only remaining problem is that his PM box if full!

Darren

Mine's not!
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

or

I was thinking about washers or sleeve to control end play and install the roll pin and be done.

thats funny. i broke the collar on mine trying to shim up the end play on my distributor. got the pin out and the right thickness washer in there but when I tried to put the pin back in, it broke the collar.

stole a collar off another distributor and the hole didnt line up just right and broke that one too.

the third time was the charm though.... i used a drill to make sure the pin would catch the collar and break it.

lesson here is BE CAREFUL PUTTING THE PIN THROUGH
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 02:47 AM

Quote:

BE CAREFUL PUTTING THE PIN THROUGH

AMEN to that. Especially the old brittle used ones.

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

BE CAREFUL PUTTING THE PIN THROUGH

AMEN to that. Especially the old brittle used ones.

yup, the used ones got old and hot = brittle.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 03:16 AM

Quote:

[

thats funny. i broke the collar on mine trying to shim up the end play on my distributor. got the pin out and the right thickness washer in there but when I tried to put the pin back in, it broke the collar.

I did the EXACT same thing......

I took my cracked one to a friend of mine and he made me a pair of them out of aluminum.

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 03:25 AM

I took it all apart to weld up the slots and reduce the mechanical advance, went ahead and took it completely apart because I had never done it before. Sure enough, driving the pin back in and the brittle collar broke.

On a side note... it is nice to see the "Grand Poobah" posting again, I don't think he's been around in a while.

Darren

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

I took it all apart to weld up the slots and reduce the mechanical advance, went ahead and took it completely apart because I had never done it before. Sure enough, driving the pin back in and the brittle collar broke.

On a side note... it is nice to see the "Grand Poobah" posting again, I don't think he's been around in a while.

Darren

Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 03:43 AM

can you believe that I got two of those collar kits and I don't remember WHERE I GOT FROM?
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Where to buy - Distributor shaft bushing/roll pin? - 01/07/09 11:53 AM

I make the collars out of steel and sell them if you need one. let me know. proper procedure for installing these is to drill one side of the collar, then slip it onto the shaft, then drill through your hole, the hole in the shaft and then out the other side of the collar and then reinstall your pin. mine you can then take off and shim to the desired shaft play.
© 2024 Moparts Forums