Moparts

Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing &

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/06/14 08:00 PM

1971 Dodge Charger Air Grabber Hood -

Question 1: How are the two lines hooked up, where do they go? What is the vacuum circuit to open it?

Question 2: How can I rig up the air grabber to open when not installed on a car?

I have three 71 Charger Hoods (Air Grabber RT hood, RT Louvered black-on-black hood, and a standard bulge Super Bee hood) that I'm mounting on the wall as art in my garage.

I think it would be cool to be able to hit a switch and watch the air grabber door open!

Posted By: RJS

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/06/14 11:43 PM

LOOKIE

Attached picture 8353453-TA_AirGrabberFSM.jpg

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/06/14 11:45 PM

more

Attached picture 8353455-TA_AirGrabberFSMdetail.jpg
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/06/14 11:56 PM

What part of Tn are you located?

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 12:11 AM

RJS - Thank you!

I searched the internet first before asking and I couldn't find these! Much appreciated.

What is "Z"? (see below)

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

What part of Tn are you located?

I'm in Friendsville; basically Maryville. 8 minutes from the Knoxville Airport.

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 01:20 AM

"Z" is the solenoid mounted at the dash switch. It is electrical so when car is turned off the airgrabber will automatically close regardless of switch position.

If the switch was left in open position the next time the car was started the grabber would automatically open for you.
Ron

Attached picture 8353553-airgrabswitch.jpg

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 01:22 AM

additional

Attached picture 8353558-airgrabswitch2.jpg

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 01:23 AM

last

Attached picture 8353559-solenoid.jpg

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 01:49 AM

Quote:

"Z" is the solenoid mounted at the dash switch. It is electrical so when car is turned off the airgrabber will automatically close regardless of switch position.

If the switch was left in open position the next time the car was started the grabber would automatically open for you.
Ron

Ah haaaaaaa.....! Now I'm getting. Actually, thanks to you and your schematics, pictures and descriptions, I think I totally get it!
Thanks Ron,
Ron
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 05:10 AM

There's also an adjustment on how fast the door opens and closes. The problem with Air Grabber is the door opens in the off position and closes in the on. Still trying to figure out the problem. Maybe it's a Canadian option
Posted By: wanna72rr

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/07/14 07:54 PM

Quote:

The problem with Air Grabber is the door opens in the off position and closes in the on. Still trying to figure out the problem.

My Air Grabber does the same thing.
I've disconnected all the tubes. Put them back together according to the book and it doesn't function. Yet it does function (opposite) they way I have it connected.
I've run they lines every way possible and it only works (closed) as open and (open) as closed???

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/08/14 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The problem with Air Grabber is the door opens in the off position and closes in the on. Still trying to figure out the problem.

My Air Grabber does the same thing.
I've disconnected all the tubes. Put them back together according to the book and it doesn't function. Yet it does function (opposite) they way I have it connected.
I've run they lines every way possible and it only works (closed) as open and (open) as closed???

Same here, switched the lines, changed the vacume canister and nothing works. I just live with it. I had everything apart last winter to paint the bubble so everything went back together the way it was. Still the door opens in reverse. It sometimes stays open and gradually closes. That has to do with the door adjustment.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/08/14 04:28 AM

Something has to be amiss, mine is assembled correctly, hoses in the correct positions, works as designed. Switch position open, door up, closed, door down, ignition off, door closes. Will cycle about 3-4 times after engine shut down, key on, from vacuum reservoir. I would be checking for leaks in the actuator and switch, cracked switch hose nipples, and check hose routing again. Be sure the “assist” spring is in place and installed correctly and the solenoid valve hose connections are correct. The actuator bracket adjustment will not cause operational problems as described above.

Re: Air Grabber Hood - Vacuum Line routing & - 12/08/14 04:36 AM

Quote:

Something has to be amiss, mine is assembled correctly, hoses in the correct positions, works as designed. Switch position open, door up, closed, door down, ignition off, door closes. Will cycle about 3-4 times after engine shut down, key on, from vacuum reservoir. I would be checking for leaks in the actuator and switch, cracked switch hose nipples, and check hose routing again. Be sure the “assist” spring is in place and installed correctly and the solenoid valve hose connections are correct. The actuator bracket adjustment will not cause operational problems as described above.

We'll the hose is new, the hoses are connected to the correct nipples so the actuator may be the culprit. I still need to make some adjustments but that will have to wait until spring when the roads get better and the GTS is finished.
© 2024 Moparts Forums