Moparts

fair price to have engine compartment painted?

Posted By: toplescuda

fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/02/14 05:47 PM

No motor. And compartment is striped bare has been blasted and etched/primed. Under the hood is pretty nice. No pits and has nice paint. No rust holes or dents. what would be a fair price to shoot front of rad. Support inside engine compart. Hood hinges (alread blasted and primed) bottom side of hood black. Base/clear....

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/02/14 05:50 PM

Pic

Attached picture 8348846-Screenshot_2014-12-02-09-49-14.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/03/14 02:17 AM

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/03/14 02:27 AM

$800 to $1000.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 02:50 PM

down here for a base clear setup it cost $400
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 03:32 PM

Quote:

down here for a base clear setup it cost $400

Using what? Krylon?
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 03:48 PM

Around a 1000 for a good quality job, or buy the materials and paint it yourself The hard part is done.
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 03:49 PM

I'd take it to the local MAACO..........I never understood the compulsion to have perfect underhood paint.........isn't worth the price or the hassle...makes working on the car much more stressful when blankets are covering everything!

Or just do it yourself....not rocket science at all....use single stage.
Posted By: Leadfoot

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 04:01 PM

Go get some paint mixed up at the auto paint place. They'll even put it in spray cans for you.

Or. Get a pint of paint, some hardener and reducer. It'll cost less than a hundred bucks. Put it in one of these.

Available at your local hardware store for about eight bucks. I did mine this way. It took two aerosol units to do. Almost twenty years later it's still as good as the day I applied it.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 04:56 PM

Assuming no expectation of body work at all, a reasonable body shop should be able to do it for 500 bucks. Also depends on the quality level of materials used. Base and clear can cost a LOT if someone insists on top shelf materials.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:03 PM

BC CC makes no sense to me for a motor compartment.
IMO asking for 2 stage under the hood is like asking to get "bent over".

You have that big shop, what do you do with it?
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:17 PM

Quote:

$800 to $1000.

Yep, I spent right at a grand having this one done. That included having the back of the inner fenders undercoated and the blackout done on the front of the core support. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Attached picture 8351056-RREngineCompartment.jpg
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

Go get some paint mixed up at the auto paint place. They'll even put it in spray cans for you.

Or. Get a pint of paint, some hardener and reducer. It'll cost less than a hundred bucks. Put it in one of these.

Available at your local hardware store for about eight bucks. I did mine this way. It took two aerosol units to do. Almost twenty years later it's still as good as the day I applied it.

Thanks! Now I know how I'll do the inside of the trunk on my RR.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:31 PM

I had my engine compartment redone about 6 years ago at a local body guy's place who specializes in Mopars.

The engine compartment was totally rust/damage free but had a terrible rattle can paint job.

Took the rolling body to the shop.

They removed all wiring, wiper and blower motors, master cylinder and brake lines etc.

Stripped all the paint off to bare metal and repainted all the way up to the windshield with base/clear.

Reinstalled everything they removed.

Paid $1250 for entire job.

Posted By: RJS

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:45 PM

Due to my neck and back problems had a great friend clean and power wash underhood and wheel wells for me (Thanks Tony!). Then brought the car to a local shop in town and he did BC in Black. Compartment,under side of hood and into wheelwells. $1000.
Was very happy with the results.
Ron

Attached picture 8351081-IMG_0405(Large).JPG
Posted By: RJS

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:47 PM

next

Attached picture 8351084-IMG_0438(Large).JPG
Posted By: T2R9

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:52 PM

I used Nason Acrylic Urethane single stage. About $200 in materials and sprayed it in my driveway. The key is in the prep.

Attached picture 8351089-IMG_1961(Medium).JPG
Posted By: T2R9

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 05:53 PM

Another.

Attached picture 8351090-IMG_1968(Medium).JPG
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 06:42 PM

If you did all the prep and I had to shoot the primer and bc/cc on the engine compartment and you supply the materials needed I would charge you $500.

Also why on earth would anyone want to shoot their compartment with single stage. With the far better results of bc/cc and the quality of todays paints I never shoot single stage on a car. Only on parts.

On the preval set up I would never try to paint an engine compartment or truck with one of those. Just get a small compressor and a touch up gun. Way better results and then you have the ability to paint everything. Using a preval you just can't get enough paint on the surface and you will have overspray lines.

Attached picture 8351129-IMG_0813.JPG

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 06:45 PM

Trunk I just did

Attached picture 8351134-trunkredo13.jpg
Posted By: JAK

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 06:56 PM

Quote:

If you did all the prep and I had to shoot the primer and bc/cc on the engine compartment and you supply the materials needed I would charge you $500.

Also why on earth would anyone want to shoot their compartment with single stage. With the far better results of bc/cc and the quality of todays paints I never shoot single stage on a car. Only on parts.

On the preval set up I would never try to paint an engine compartment or truck with one of those. Just get a small compressor and a touch up gun. Way better results and then you have the ability to paint everything. Using a preval you just can't get enough paint on the surface and you will have overspray lines.

I agree with you on the preval, I wonder why they dont make a wide spray pattern nozzle for the preval or at least i have not found one.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 10:01 PM

One Million Dollars!
(smirk)

Dr. Evil
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/04/14 10:27 PM

Painted my entire car(70 cuda fiberglass body) base coat, pearl coat, clear in one hour in my garage with my hvlp equipment no overspray and thats cleaning the gun out after each coat. About 700 dollers in paint(Dupont). What you are paying for is the painters overhead.He should take no more than 1/2 hour to paint. painting is 95% prep 5% paint. Taking stuff off or preping is one thing but to just paint no way its worth no 800 bucks. Still can't belive how easy it is with clear coat.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 01:58 AM

Quote:

Painted my entire car(70 cuda fiberglass body) base coat, pearl coat, clear in one hour in my garage with my hvlp equipment no overspray and thats cleaning the gun out after each coat. About 700 dollers in paint(Dupont). What you are paying for is the painters overhead.He should take no more than 1/2 hour to paint. painting is 95% prep 5% paint. Taking stuff off or preping is one thing but to just paint no way its worth no 800 bucks. Still can't belive how easy it is with clear coat.

It doesn't sound like you gave it much flash time.

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 02:08 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one who sweats like crazy when I spray paint a car or especially a truck? To me it's not easy, proper posture is required for a good paint job and that will wear you out.

Then using base clear adds to the cost and labor. Yes it holds up the best and is easier to shoot than single stage but is not correct on our old cars. Yea everyone knows that I know.

And my paint jobs even just a engine compartment takes more than a half hour, priming, BC and then CC. You can't do all that in a half hour unless you bake it.
Posted By: feeeighteefee

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 02:19 AM

price of materials and 100 bucks for labour.1000 is way too much.do it yuorself and u will save and will prob paint entire car yourself.lots of vids on how to on yutuubee.check out swrnc pete will show u how
Posted By: Fab64

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 05:19 AM

The PO of my Barracuda painted the whole car, but shot the engine compartment with the engine in place. When I pulled the engine for a rebuild, I bought three spray cans of Hemi Orange paint from Totally Auto, cleaned everything up as best I could, primed with Rustoleum primer, and shot it myself. Even though the two paints are from different manufacturers, they are virtually indistinguishable. It's been 6 years now, and it's holding up fine:

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 03:21 PM

Yep like the saying goes "You get what you pay for"

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 06:19 PM

Price has nothing to do with the quality of the job. Living on the inflated charges from the insurance companys for so many years, they tend to over charge the regular guy. After 40 years in my trade i'm finialy up to 50 bucks an hour, it has to come out of the little guys pocket. Now when the guy says 1000 bucks, to me thats 20 hours and all the work was done he just needed to paint it. IMO thats being ripped off. 250 bucks would be tops.
Posted By: azblackhemi

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 07:49 PM

How can you say inflated charges the insurance company pays? Body shop labor here is still at $48 an hour while mechanical shops are charging $85- $110 per hour. Insurance companies have kept body shop labor low for years,

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/05/14 08:56 PM

Quote:

Price has nothing to do with the quality of the job. Living on the inflated charges from the insurance companys for so many years, they tend to over charge the regular guy. After 40 years in my trade i'm finialy up to 50 bucks an hour, it has to come out of the little guys pocket. Now when the guy says 1000 bucks, to me thats 20 hours and all the work was done he just needed to paint it. IMO thats being ripped off. 250 bucks would be tops.

Price has everything to do with the quality of the job! Skill, amount of labor , quality of materials, end results that are National level show quality, you ain't getting that for $250.

$250 barely covers the cost of materials unless you want a spray bomb job like Fab64 did.

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:19 AM

Price has everything to do with the quality of the job! Skill, amount of labor , quality of materials, end results that are National level show quality, you ain't getting that for $250.

Never heard of variable skill level(more money the better you paint?). Price is how much you want in your pocket, quality should be the same on everything you do! Went back and read first post, thought he had the paint, my fault. So $250 plus materals

$250 barely covers the cost of materials unless you want a spray bomb job like Fab64 did.

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:41 AM

The quality shoud be the same no matter if its black or white. But first the first time you say you want it black. The price goes up. That tell me you (the body guy) was gonna do a less then perfict job. With a light color then you would do with a dark color
Here is some pics of under the hood the way it is right now

Attached picture 8352369-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-40-50.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:42 AM

Attached picture 8352371-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-40-40.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:45 AM

Attached picture 8352373-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-40-15.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:46 AM

Attached picture 8352376-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-40-05.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:47 AM

Attached picture 8352378-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-39-55.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:49 AM

Attached picture 8352380-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-39-46.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 12:50 AM

Attached picture 8352384-Screenshot_2014-12-05-16-39-37.png

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 02:09 AM

What about the rest of the car? Is it going to get painted?

If so I would have it all done at once if that was possible.

Otherwise I can promise you it will cost more having it all done separate. If it's money? Then save until you can have the whole thing done at once. You will getting better service and a better job that way. IMO

I used to have a challenger like that, with no hood hinges. Because mine was rusted out, I took them off and my hood just laid on the back for like 2 years.

Until one winter day the ice kept it from latching in front and I didn't know it and it flew off the car at about 40 mph. Luckily it didn't hit the windshield or another car when it came down in the middle of the street behind me.

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 03:22 AM

The hood hinges have been blasted and primed. I didnt want to put them back just to take back off to paint behind them.
Not really sure right now what will become of the car
If had the compartment painted. I could least put the 440 back in it and maybe detail up a few things insted of having scattered everywhere
And have thought about just putting all back togeather and sending it down the road also
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: fair price to have engine compartment painted? - 12/06/14 04:14 AM

I just bought 2 qts of single stage, 1 gallon of reducer, 1 gallon of lacquer thinner for cleanup, 2qts of etching primer and activator and it was almost $300.

And that's not including taping up the car, locking up my bay for 2 days ( or paint booth if being used for half the day )and cleanup / prep work of any kind.

IMO, $800- $1000

my
© 2024 Moparts Forums