Moparts

removing a stuck oil filter - my solution

Posted By: plazomat

removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 06:56 PM

Hi There,

Just wanting to share my solution for a really stuck oil filter - small block - PH8 - oops XG16 not that it matters.

Since access to the filter is really good with wheel and access panel removed in my 69 B - I came up with this...

Take a parts store good for nutin filter end cap wrench and modify it.

I drilled 4 holes through the back of the wrench. I used self taping screws to screw the wrench to the oil filter. Big A$$ breaker bar on extensions connected to the wrench and blamo...off she came no muss no fuss and no mess.....

Hope this helps someone.

Plaz
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 07:05 PM

I've driven a long screw driver through one years ago when I worked in a service station near a U.S. Marine base, some dumb jarhead must have tighten that rascal up with a long lever on it We ended uo resorting to that after a lot of other trys on using other methods If you have to do that, anyone, drive it in up as close to the engine as possible, avoid the threaded nipple though
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 07:06 PM

Hope you didn't put another PH8 back on.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 07:53 PM

I've found that the nylon strap one will just about remove any of them that are not welded on.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 07:59 PM

Yes, usually the strap works, after crushing the &$%*% out of it.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 08:33 PM

Don't put them on so tight
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 10:28 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps someone.
Plaz

Plaz it will cuz sometimes there ain't room enough to get a drive extension/ratchet on the strap (which is my fav)
Posted By: plazomat

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 10:50 PM

Quote:

Um yes I did its for my pre-winter storage oil change...why?

PLAZ
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 11:30 PM

I resorted to the screwdriver trick back in my younger years many moons ago. I have found out if you can get the filter wrench as close to the block as possible it helps to get it off easier. Those cap wrenches suck for a really tight filter.
Posted By: dvw

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/15/14 11:41 PM

Most of the time they will come off if you use two filter wrenches at the same time. I've had to cut them off with and air chisel, then walk the filter base around with an air chisel 1 1/2 turns before it would come off.
Doug
Posted By: feets

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/16/14 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Um yes I did its for my pre-winter storage oil change...why?

PLAZ

Because PH8 is a Fram number. Fram = junk to many gearheads.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/16/14 01:24 AM

Quote:

I've driven a long screw driver through one years ago when I worked in a service station near a U.S. Marine base, some dumb jarhead must have tighten that rascal up with a long lever on it We ended uo resorting to that after a lot of other trys on using other methods If you have to do that, anyone, drive it in up as close to the engine as possible, avoid the threaded nipple though

Yes, because Jarheads are the only ones dumb enough to over-tighten an oil filter

Semper Fi, anyway
Scott
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/16/14 10:57 AM

A reason that I have always liked KN filter with 6 sided nut.. Also a bit longer than Wix so that can easily get strap on it if ever need be to help remove from 440 Challenger. . Some reason, I must cinch down quite securely to prevent seepage.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: removing a stuck oil filter - my solution - 11/16/14 02:43 PM

I had one when I worked at the local G.M. dealership in the mid 80's.It was so tight that the can turned on the base after progressing from filter wrench to screwdriver through can. Ended up hammering it off and using a chisel to remoce the base. Lost money on that one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums