Moparts

1974 charger headlight problem

Posted By: moparvinson

1974 charger headlight problem - 11/03/14 07:48 AM

my son took out his charger for its first run, after about 10 min . the headlights turn off? all other lights stay on and are working normal. if you turn them off for a few minutes and turn them back on they work for a few min. then shut off again. I did a search for headlight relay but all that comes up is the headlight switch which is new (from autozone).is the relay in the switch or somewhere else? Thanks for any help.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/03/14 08:17 AM

There are NO fuses or relays on headlight circuits, bad connection and/or bad switch.
Posted By: Sir Valiant

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/03/14 04:48 PM

Yup and I would also consider a headlight relay kit to take the load off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dapper-Lighting-...f78&vxp=mtr
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/03/14 06:58 PM

Classic symptoms of a bad HL switch (even tho its new) Murphys Law. Unfortunately no return (usually) with electrical parts. I'd purchase another one & likely you will be fine.
Posted By: 74Charger

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/03/14 10:59 PM

Check the headlamp harness ground wire. It bonds to ground close to negative battery terminal, and on the battery side of the radiator support. I have seen these cause lots of headaches, and often get broken due to multiple battery replacements over the years. Good luck!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/04/14 12:55 AM

The headlights have a self resetting circuit breaker. That is what's causing the lights to go off, then after a while work.

Now the question is what is tripping the breaker.

I'd check for loose and dirty connections.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/04/14 04:11 AM

the dimmer switch also can cause this symptom.check the connections for proper contact/corrosion.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/04/14 04:55 PM

I agree check the dimmer.My Dart did the same thing.The dimmer was bad.Rocky
Posted By: moparvinson

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/05/14 11:44 PM

I bought a new american made headlight switch and a new dimmer switch. not sure which one it was but lights are working great now. Thanks for all of the help
Posted By: 383man

Re: 1974 charger headlight problem - 11/06/14 01:56 AM

Glad to hear you got it. I would see the headlite switch cause that problem most of the time as some times the contacts in the circuit breaker in the switch get corroded and it cause some heat in the switch which can trip the breaker in the switch. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums