Moparts

Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)???

Posted By: GuruRanger

Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 12:16 AM

I haven't driven my 1974 Road Runner in a couple of years (I know, shame on me). I added new gas to the old. The car started and runs, but the gas is coming out the top of the carb (1990's Carter AFB Competition Series on a 318). I just want to drive the car this week before winter sets in and I don't want to get into a new carb or carb rebuild if I can help it. What's the easiest way to get that float unstuck? Tear into it from the top? Pull the carb and soak it? Dump fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and let the sucker run until it cleans itself out?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas) - 10/30/14 12:30 AM

take out the air cleaner center mounting stud. spray around the carb top/bowl gasket perimeter to clean dirt away. remove pump/fast idle linkage as needed so top is unemcumbered. remove the screws. carefully lift the top as to not rip the gasket. invert top & remove floats/pins/needles (return them to same location) & spray it good (& the seat) with some brake kleen. twirl the needle neoprene tapered tip in between your thumb and forefinger to clean & smooth it. I like to spray the gasket with some light oil and same for the bowl screws as they go into aluminum. Check float level and reassemble (you have not altered float level with this but you need to check it (end of float to gasket surface inverted). be careful not to let the float get hung up as you (carefully) lower the assembly in place (another pair of eyes is good) to watch as you lower it & this lets you have both hands on the bowl. EDIT forgot about removing the rods (return piston/rod assy to same side also)
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 12:36 AM

I use the handle of a screwdriver and give it a good couple smacks on the top back where the floats hinge. Usually will get it unstuck pretty quick. That's the cheapest free way. Next move would be to take the top off and spray it down with some spray carb cleaner.

On a side note, I've noticed that old fuel mixed with new seems to spoil at a pretty astonishing rate. I would pump out everything you can and replace with fresh fuel.

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 01:24 AM

Thank you both! I lucked out. I let the carb soak up the fresher gas for a 1/2 hour, gave it a few well-placed smacks , and wah-la! She runs like new. The master cylinder is another story, but we should be on the road tomorrow.
Posted By: feets

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 01:41 AM

Shame on you for letting it sit.

Now go put some miles on it before the ice man comes.

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 06:03 AM

In my defense, I'm ashamed of how bad the quarter panels look on this otherwise nice car. No one is repopping quarters yet, originals are expensive, and payments on the 2010 Challenger R/T Classic have been killing my toy money for the past 4 1/2 years. Only 5 more months of payments to go! The master cylinder is in stock and will be on the car tomorrow after work (drivable, but slow leak). Here's the Road Runner after it's bath tonight:

Attached picture 8315829-image.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 03:58 PM

Quote:

Here's the Road Runner after it's bath tonight:

You have been forgiven
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 04:08 PM

Quote:

In my defense, I'm ashamed of how bad the quarter panels look on this otherwise nice car. No one is repopping quarters yet, originals are expensive

I bought a 73 sebring plus at Carlisle back in 93, which my dad owns now... many times we were told they were going to repop them. I don't see it ever happening. Amd does make a nice lower rear section, I think that's all they'll ever make.
Posted By: feets

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 04:48 PM

Quote:

In my defense, I'm ashamed of how bad the quarter panels look on this otherwise nice car. No one is repopping quarters yet, originals are expensive

That's the reason my green on green 360 powered RR went away.

Re: Easiest Way to Unstick Float in Carter AFB (old gas)??? - 10/30/14 09:03 PM

Quote:

That's the reason my green on green 360 powered RR went away.

Mine was originally Deep Sherwood Poly with white stripes and white bucket interior. That's what I want to restore it back to. Was yours Deep Sherwood, too?
© 2024 Moparts Forums