Moparts

LX cars frame rust?

Posted By: AMC400Mopar

LX cars frame rust? - 10/16/14 09:48 PM

While removing the dipstick tube so I could dig out a broken dipstick (plastic handle broke off...) on my stock 2005 Magnum RT I was shocked to discover heavy rust on both sides of the frame directly adjacent to the catalytic converters. The rust has nearly eaten through the frame at these spots! There is no rust anywhere else on my car, and it has never been undercoated or winter driven. The exhaust is all original. The stock cats never had heat shields and are located very close to the frame rails; it is my understanding that newer models have heat shields on the cats...I am guessing the heat cooked the paint and any factory rust protection off in these spots.

Is this common with other LX models (mag/challenger/charger) and how is it normally repaired? Should I contact Chrysler directly?
Any advice would be great,
thanks!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/17/14 06:40 AM

My guess would be that since you live in Canada, and the car has never been driven in the winter, you have had some mice take up residence in your frame rails. Their urine is acidic and will eat the metal in your frame rails in a couple years. The close proximity of the rails to the converters would invite the little critters to the nice warm place, and then would bake the urine and nest into a nice frame rusting concoction. Is there a dusty, flaky dirt and grass/material, or cotton like fuzz clump inside your frame rails?

It will be interesting to see if the frame rail rust is a consistent with the LX cars.

The fix is going to be like any other frame rail replacement, pull the carpet and everything else off the floor, remove the rusted rail, fabricate a new rail, and weld it back in place. Then replace the removed interior. Gene

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/20/14 07:31 PM

Just an update. I went to the body shop recommended by our local Chrysler dealer. They'd never seen a hemi-LX frame burnt through by the catalytic converters as bad as my car before. (BTW mileage is 94,000 miles and the car runs great and is exceptionally clean) Their estimate to r&r the exhaust, sandblast the burnt through/rusted area, weld in plates and reprime the repaired area was over $1100 bucks.

I took it to another two shops, but neither would touch it once they hoisted the car up had a good luck at the damage. They said by the time they removed the exhaust, manifolds, hoisted the engine up to give enough clearance to do the repairs theyd be opening a huge can of worms.

I do have an appointment to get another estimate tomorrow, and I will also drive to another city to get an estimate from a Chrysler Dealer's own bodyshop. Surely someone else with a Hemi LX-car must have had this burn thru issue before? Or maybe nobody ever noticed---its very easy to miss if you dont know just where to look with a flashlight while the car is on the hoist. You cannot see the damage from above.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/20/14 07:45 PM

I've got an 05 R/T, next oil change I'll take a hard look, thx for the heads up, btw, is it on both sides?

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/21/14 12:51 AM

Yes, the damaged area is the same on both sides of the car. If anything the right side is slightly worse. When the car is on the hoist tomorrow I will try to get photos of the heat/rust damaged areas to show you. This totally sucks because the rest of my car is exceptionally clean and original. If the car had been built with heat-shielded cats or even a bit more of an air gap between the cats and the frame it would have prevented the prob. The technician at the shop our local Chrysler dealer sent me to says the heat from the cats burned off the factory coating on the frame and accelerated the rusting in those areas.

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/21/14 09:28 PM

I took the car to two well respected body shops today. Neither would do the repairs, but both were shocked at the damage and suspect all the magnums/chargers/challengers with the hemi will eventually have similar problems.
Tried to take some pics but it was tough. I will try again when the car goes to a Chrysler dealer on Thursday AM and another on Fri AM.

Attached picture 8307587-rightside.jpg

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/21/14 09:29 PM

Here's a little better pic of the Left side. I will bring a real camera with me next time the car is up so I can get some clear shots. The damage is the same on both sides, right side being slightly worse.

Attached picture 8307589-leftside.jpg
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/21/14 10:02 PM

Wow, that's a new one on me. I had an '06 SRT8 and no rust anywhere for the 6 years of ownership, but I am in Florida.

I am on the LX forums very frequently and have not read of this being a common problem. Good Luck.

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 12:02 AM

I just looked at mine and my rails are fine, and mines driven year round and we use our fair share of salt
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 12:04 AM

Quote:

While removing the dipstick tube so I could dig out a broken dipstick (plastic handle broke off...) on my stock 2005 Magnum RT I was shocked to discover heavy rust on both sides of the frame directly adjacent to the catalytic converters. The rust has nearly eaten through the frame at these spots! There is no rust anywhere else on my car, and it has never been undercoated or winter driven. The exhaust is all original. The stock cats never had heat shields and are located very close to the frame rails; it is my understanding that newer models have heat shields on the cats...I am guessing the heat cooked the paint and any factory rust protection off in these spots.

Is this common with other LX models (mag/challenger/charger) and how is it normally repaired? Should I contact Chrysler directly?
Any advice would be great,
thanks!

Thanks for the heads up, Hope you can get it repaired. The 1100 bucks starting to not sound so bad to me now...

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 12:26 AM

Does anyone with a newer 5.7 LX car know if there are heat shields on the cats? My '05 never had them, and after looking at pics online it is kinda hard to tell if they were added to newer models. Or maybe someone has access to a parts fiche? If they indeed did add heat shields later in production it's pretty obvious Chrysler knew this could be a problem. I also wonder if the six cylinder models have the cats as close to the rails as the hemi versions?
Sorry to whine, I really love my car so this drives me nuts...
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 06:16 AM

Strange place for rust. How is it stored? I've seen cars stored in damp garages get rust like that. I've never seen major rust from mice pee. More of a problem is if they make a nest in a place that can get wet and hold water.

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 01:57 PM

Thank you for helping me work through this problem. My car spent most of its life in a dry, newer garage with a polished concrete floor. It has been outside since May. I wash and polish it several times a week and it has never had any body damage. The car currently has 94,000 miles.

Attached picture 8308177-002.jpg
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 02:14 PM

You say it gets washed alot. Is it possible that water is getting into the frame and "pooling" in those areas. If that's possible, then may want to drill some additional drains.

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/22/14 05:20 PM

That really sucks man, especially since you've taken such good care of it, that's as nice a Magnum as I've ever seen (mines a twin to yours, just not as clean, also runs 14.3's in the 1/4 ).

Bite the bullet and get it fixed, while your in there with the exhaust off, put on a set of SRT8 manifolds and mid pipes for a little extra

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/23/14 06:08 PM

Thanks for the kudos on my car! I don't just love that thing...I think I'm in love with it. Anyway, I took it to Niagara Chrysler for mechanical inspection of the rotted frame area this morning. They were very pleasant, professional and on time. The mechanic who inspected my car called another mechanic over to see the damage as well. Neither had seen one go like this before. He noted how clean my car was elsewhere and that the frame drain holes were clear.

The mechanic then called the service manager over, who took a large number of photos of the damage and of my car in general. On his own initiative the service manager will be using his photos to go along with a report he is writing to submit to Chrysler Canada later today.

I've got my fingers crossed...
I took another couple pics this morning while the car was on the hoist.This is the left side.

Attached picture 8309462-leftsideA.jpg

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/23/14 06:14 PM

Here is a pic from today of the right side damage alongside the catalytic converter.

Attached picture 8309466-rightsideA.jpg

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/23/14 07:11 PM

That's great that you have a dealership that does it's best to help the customer instead of blowing you off with "it's out of warranty".

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/24/14 09:32 PM

As the Niagara Chrysler service manager suggested yesterday (after my mechanical inspection) I took my Magnum in to the bodyshop today for an inspection by body techs. The two techs who inspected it were shocked at the damage. I was shocked at the repair quote---$8100!! I was told the engine, drivetrain, subframe, interior had to come out in order to properly replace the rotted sections of frame alongside the cats. They were impressed by the overall clean condition of my car, very sympathetic regarding the frame problem, and suggested I contact Chrysler Canada.

The Niagara Chrysler service manager had already sent in his photos and report yesterday, and suggested I contact Chrysler Canada directly this afternoon as he had not yet heard back from the district service manager.

When I called Chrysler Canada they told me even though my car is out of warranty they would like to further investigate the problem, and opened a Case File on the car. They said I should to expect to hear back from them on Monday. I hope that is a good sign.

I guess I'll wait and see what they say on Monday and go from there. All the Chrysler service managers, techs and even the woman on the phone at Chrysler Canada were excellent.

Attached picture 8310669-magnumrt.png
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/24/14 09:58 PM

You may get lucky. My sis got her entire frame replaced on a 10 year old Toyota Tundra. Toyota covered the entire cost. Now there was an issue with alot of them. Must have been a problem with the steel process.

Re: LX cars frame rust? - 10/27/14 06:56 AM

Good luck with Chrysler. I hope they actually try to help you with fixing it and don't just give you a discount off a new car.

Toyota had a recall for those frames, not surprising it was replaced.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/12/14 02:05 AM

Here is an update on the serious structural defect with my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT, and how the situation has been handled thus far by Chrysler Canada. I fear this potentially dangerous situation likely affects other 2005 Chrysler LX-Platform vehicles.If you own or know someone that has a 2005 Magnum/Charger/300 please carefully inspect the frame structure alongside the catalytic converters!

The catalytic converters have burned through the factory applied protective coating on the frame structure, allowing quick formation of rust on the frame structure. I believe this defect has gone unnoticed because it is in a location that is very difficult to see. I would also like to describe how this serious structural rust perforation defect has been mishandled by Chrysler Canada. As this problem could result in wrongful death or injury, I feel it is important to share this information.

My clean Magnum RT was recently found to have developed a serious corrosion issue with the frame structure immediately adjacent to the catalytic converters, on both sides. Following an investigation by Niagara Chrysler a report was sent to the District Service Manager. Performance Collision, an authorized Chrysler body shop in St.Catharines, ON, also inspected my car and quoted over $8000 to replace the rotten frame members.

The following is a more in depth overview of the defect with my Magnum RT:

I purchased my Magnum RT this past March, certified, with 145,000km, from the original owner. The car is exceptionally clean and has never been in an accident, had any bodywork or been undercoated or modified in any way.

On Oct 16, 2014, while repairing a broken dipstick handle (which necessitated removing the dipstick tube from the right side of the engine) my mechanic was shocked to discover rust perforation of the frame structure alongside the catalytic converters. In his opinion intense heat from the catalytic converters had burned away the factory protective coating on the frame structure, allowing rust to form on the resulting bare metal. He was worried about the safety of the vehicle and advised me to talk to Chrysler right away and to get it repaired.

On Oct 21, 2014, Performance Collision (Part of Performance Chrysler) was just able to glimpse the damage from above, and scheduled me to come back for a more thorough inspection. Later that day I visited two other respected local body shops in Niagara Falls, ON. Dominion Auto Body was shocked at the rust perforation damage to the frame structure, and feared other LX-Body Chrysler cars may share the same hidden defect. The inspecting technician felt the rust perforation was caused by heat from the catalytic converters damaging the factory chassis coating. They refused to repair the vehicle, and advised me not to try to stop the rust from spreading by oil spraying or treating the area because of risk of fire.
Maple Leaf Auto Body estimated repair would take 30 to 40 hours and would require removal of the engine, transmission and exhaust to properly access the damaged area. They did not want to take on the work. They told me to talk to Chrysler right away, as this is a serious structural safety defect they felt was caused by heat from the catalytic converters damaging the protective coating on the frame structure.

On Oct 23, 2014, my car was inspected by two mechanics at Niagara Chrysler. They noted the frame drain holes were clear and were surprised by the rust perforation damage to the frame structure immediately adjacent to the catalytic converters. Service Manager was called over to see; he was concerned and promptly took photos and sent in a report to his District Service Manager. I was charged $52.50 for the inspection, and was told I would be reimbursed that amount if Chrysler would do the repairs. I was advised to call Chrysler Customer Care and have the car inspected by an approved body shop.

On Oct 24, 2014, my car was inspected at Performance Collision by two technicians. They remarked how clean and well-maintained the rest of my car is. I was told the drive train, engine cradle, interior and exhaust system would need to be removed to replace the rust damaged frame structure. They said they could imagine how a mechanic could miss the damaged area during routine service as it is very difficult area to see, especially when the exhaust system is hot. They also felt this rust problem has been growing in my car for years. They estimated $8107 to repair the damage properly and safely. Both Niagara Chrysler and Performance Collision were excellent to deal with and showed regret for the defect with my car and concern for my safety until it is properly repaired. That afternoon I filed a report with Chrysler Canada Customer Care, Case file number 25844173.

On the morning of Oct 27 2014 Chrysler Canada Customer Care called to tell me my file had been escalated. Later that day Niagara Chrysler called me to tell me the DSM was not willing to do a goodwill repair. Chrysler Canada Customer Care called shortly after, saying they had reviewed my case file and decided the defect with my car was too far outside the warranty period for them to repair. They added if the frame structure rust perforation defect was later found to be chronic among LX-body cars they would extend the warranty or issue a recall. Chronic or not, this defective condition exists in my car and I don't see how the number of similarly affected cars has any bearing on Chrysler's level of responsibility.

Regardless, on Oct 28 2014 I personally inspected five wrecked LX-body Chryslers, ranging from 2005 to 2010, at Millers Auto Recycling in Fort Erie. I found a 2005 Chrysler 300C with 216,774km that was showing similar frame rust in the same exact locations adjacent to the catalytic converters as my car, though the rust had not yet perforated the steel to the severe extent it has on my car.

I politely called Chrysler Canada Customer Care to ask for an email address where I could send my rust perforation photos and copies of the estimates to repair my car so they might better understand the problem. They refused to provide an email address for any employee of Chrysler Canada Customer Care or to any higher level of Chrysler Canada management. I was told I could send something to the Chrysler Canada Customer Care general mailbox, but I was warned they would not accept emailed files of photographs or work orders.

I then asked if the District Service Manager could be scheduled to see my car personally, at the Chrysler dealer of their choice and at their convenience, since photographs do not do the damage justice as the area is next to impossible to photograph well. Chrysler Canada Customer Care refused. I expressed my concern that other LX-Body cars may share a similar rust perforation defect with the frame structure adjacent to the catalytic converters, and that I had in fact seen and photographed a 2005 Chrysler 300C at the junkyard that was starting to show similar damage.

They very firmly told me my case is closed and Chrysler Canada Customer Care will go no further with it. I told them I simply wanted my car fixed and did not wish to cause trouble for Chrysler, but I was prepared to talk to a lawyer and to go public with the problem on Dodge and Chrysler forums and to the media. I was again firmly told my case is closed and they are sorry I feel it necessary to go that route. I asked for an email address at Chrysler Canada where I could copy them any correspondence I have with Transport Canada, the NHTSA and the media, but Chrysler Canada Customer Care refused to provide that contact information.

I am very disappointed in Chrysler for not taking my frame structure rust perforation defect seriously, or at the very least having a DSM or engineer inspect the damage to my car personally. I’m stuck with an otherwise beautiful car that has a serious structural defect which makes it impossible for me to sell or trade in good conscience. I am very concerned this defect could be affecting other Chrysler LX-body cars without their owner's knowledge. As the car is unsafe to operate I have stopped driving it until it has been repaired.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but that's where my situation stands as of now. Please check the frame structure alongside the cats on your LX-Platform cars and spread the word, because I really don't want to see anyone get hurt because of rust perforation in the frame structure of their cars!

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/12/14 06:19 AM

Here are a few more pics of my car. Don't be fooled by a car with 'no rust' like I was. It is nearly impossible to see the damaged areas of the frame structure way up beside the catalytic converters without having the car on a hoist, with a cool exhaust and a strong light. During normal service you'd never even notice it. Please check your 2005 magnum/charger/300, this could be a very dangerous condition!

Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/12/14 01:42 PM

If it was mine. I would go and trade it in at a Chrysler dealership. If they don't already have your car and vin # listed or flagged.
I don't think any car manufacturer is going to do anything about a rotted unibody frame, on a 9 year old car.
Just my opinion... You bought a used car , without having it checked out first. I own a auto repair business, I have a lot of customers, bring used cars to me to be checked out before they buy them. I catch a lot of stuff that is rotted, because someone was getting rid of it, knowing about a problem. That is why they were selling the car, or traded it in.
I also get a lot of people that bring a car in for an auto inspection , after they purchase a car. Then I find a problem like yours, and they won't pass inspection.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/13/14 12:27 AM

I sure wish I could look at this rust in person. By looking at the pictures, its difficult to determine the exact location, the degree of actual damage, and the effect the damaged area has on the structure of the car. The reality is that given the general location of the rust being the top end of the frame rails, near the transmission tunnel/firewall junction, it likely is not location for a serious structural issue. Frame rails at that location are likely designed to assist in deflecting the motor downward in the event of a major crash. The actual effect on this purpose, if that was the intended purpose, by the amount of deterioration from the existing rust is questionable.

I suspect Chrysler chose not to do anything for 3 reasons.
1) The damage from the rust is not a safety issue.
2) You were not the original purchaser.
3) The car is a structurally sound 9, and possibly 10 year old car, with nearly 100,000 miles on it.

I also don't buy that the converters caused this problem. I suspect water that has been sitting inside the frame rails, is the cause of the rust. That water may have come from above the rails, or from inside the car.

I suspect you are not in intimate danger driving this car. Its time to own up to the fact you bought a used car with a rust issue, which may, in reality, be minor. You are left with 3 choices, 1) Fix the rust. 2) Drive it and ignore the rust. 3) Junk the car and keep whining. If you choose #3, I'll take if off your hands.
Gene

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/13/14 04:42 PM

I just received this post on one of the magnum forums. It clarifys the problem with my car. Please check your LX's! Here is a copy and paste of his post.
"I was the Service and Parts Director for the past 26 years at a metro Chrysler Jeep dealership and I can tell you I have seen this issue.
> The only vehicles I have seen this on were police vehicles, which in my opinion may be more alarming!
> Police have a tough enough job without worrying if their cruiser's frame is going to fail during a high speed chase at 100 MPH or more!
> Chrysler does know about the issue and it seems to effect only vehicles that are exposed to prolonged idling.
> The cats get hot and bake the e coat off the frame rails.
> The last one that I inspected was about 2 years ago and Chrysler did offer the local police department help.
> The offer was that the was to pay $1,000.00 betterment to have the frame rails replaced.
> The police department refused to pay for the defect and auctioned the cruiser to the highest bidder.
>
> Mopar does need to take action with this and at the least inspect all LX vehicles to be sure we are safe.
>
> Toyota bought back tons of old pick up trucks for rusted out frame rails a few years ago.
> Unfortunately it is all about the $$$$$, and who holds the purse strings.
> Chrysler currently is under Fiat's control and they are much tighter with a buck than Benz ever was.
> We gained Hugh amounts of technology from the Germans and everything changed after they let us go, as a matter of fact, there would have never been an LX platform or a Gen III Hemi if it was not for Benz.
> My advise is do not give up the fight!"
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/13/14 05:34 PM

One thought comes to mind, Chrysler didn't send anyone to look at it for a reason, they've already seen it elsewhere.

As for the cops auctioning off their cruiser, that is scary as all get out. Wonder if they disclosed it.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/13/14 10:41 PM

Bottom line? It was a used car, period end of subject Chrysler in reality owes you nothing. I know it sucks but your beef should be with whoever sold you the car. Sorry.
Posted By: RealWing

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 04:53 AM

As a minimum you should contact Transport Canada and initiate a formal complaint about a potential safety issue. Structural defects affect the crashworthiness of a vehicle.
You would think that Chrysler/Fiat would learn from the huge GM ignition switch issue of not addressing potential safety defects!!
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 07:43 AM

My in-laws are the original owners of a 1993 Cavalier Z24 with less than 40K miles. It lives in a heated garage and never gets driven in rain or snow, but they wash it every two weeks or so, then pull it back in the garage.

Even though the rest of the car is rust-free, there was a section of the frame that completely rotted out on both sides of the car. It required extensive fabrication / repair by my brother-in-law that would have cost thousands of dollars if a shop did it.

They came to the conclusion that the frame rot was caused by washing the car and parking it, without driving it.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 03:36 PM

I do see your point about washing the car frequently. However when my car was inspected at the Chrysler dealer they found all the frame drain holes to be clear. Also the damage is on the side of the frame rails, not the bottom where water could collect.

I bought my car from the original owner, who lived in Toronto. Anyone who knows Toronto traffic knows how congested it is. As the Chrysler service manager pointed out on the LX forum "Chrysler does know about the issue and it seems to effect only vehicles that are exposed to prolonged idling.
The cats get hot and bake the e coat off the frame rails."

Aside from the issue with my car (which I am no longer driving until it is repaired) my concern is how many magnum/charger/challenger/300 are there in big cities where they are subject to heavy traffic and prolonged periods of idling? That huge number of cars that could potentially have the same problem as my car concerns me. Remember, in five minutes of looking at the junkyard I personally found a 300 with the same issue after only looking at five cars in total! 1 in 5...what concerns me even more is Chrysler's unwillingness to address this dangerous problem publicly and have the cars owners notified to bring in their cars for an inspection. Chrysler has done so for corrosion issues with the Pacifica and Caliber, why not the LX-Platform cars?
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 03:38 PM

Quote:

My in-laws are the original owners of a 1993 Cavalier Z24 with less than 40K miles. It lives in a heated garage and never gets driven in rain or snow, but they wash it every two weeks or so, then pull it back in the garage.

Even though the rest of the car is rust-free, there was a section of the frame that completely rotted out on both sides of the car. It required extensive fabrication / repair by my brother-in-law that would have cost thousands of dollars if a shop did it.

They came to the conclusion that the frame rot was caused by washing the car and parking it, without driving it.

i have seen this a LOT in the body shop.
i think the problem is people only was the OUTSIDE of the car. they never get down and wash the UNDER SIDE of the car.
about 2 years ago i tried to repaired a 2001 cavalier. the outside of the car was spotless. the under side of the car had massive rust. i removed the bumper reinforcements with a few hits with a hammer and they fell off. they had massive amount's of dirt build up in them. the seats were ready to fall out of the car due to extensive rust.
we contacted the customer and showed then the rust. they ended up junking the car. after talking to them they hand washed the outside of the car almost weekly. they never once washed the under side of the car.
in my opinion every car driven in bad weather should be run thru a car wash and have the under body flushed at least 4 times a year. your car will last much longer that way.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 04:44 PM

It's unfortunate but you have a 10 year old car with a rust spot on the frame, bought used from a province known for being heavy on the winter salt.

The reality is that if everyone who had a car with the same amount of rust on it stopped driving their car, 1/2 or more of the 10 year old cars from your province would probably be taken off the road. Not to mention just about every non restored muscle or collector car.

If it was mine I would crawl under it, drop the exhaust, grind the rust off with a wire wheel, spray on some weld thru primer, make a patch, lap weld it on, primer and undercoat it and call it done. I've done this kind of repair many a time, it's perfectly structurally sound.

Or you could drive the car for the rest of it's service life, junk it and probably never have an issue because of this.

While I would also not be happy to see this kind of rust on my 2007 driver, I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to do anything about it.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 04:50 PM

Quote:

It's unfortunate but you have a 10 year old car with a rust spot on the frame, bought used from a province known for being heavy on the winter salt.

The reality is that if everyone who had a car with the same amount of rust on it stopped driving their car, 1/2 or more of the 10 year old cars from your province would probably be taken off the road. Not to mention just about every non restored muscle or collector car.

If it was mine I would crawl under it, drop the exhaust, grind the rust off with a wire wheel, spray on some weld thru primer, make a patch, lap weld it on, primer and undercoat it and call it done. I've done this kind of repair many a time, it's perfectly structurally sound.

Or you could drive the car for the rest of it's service life, junk it and probably never have an issue because of this.

While I would also not be happy to see this kind of rust on my 2007 driver, I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to do anything about it.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

If your determined to keep the car I would do what is written above (either yourself or by a trusted shop) plus add some heat shields in the area.

If you trust the place that gave you the $1100 estimate I would be taking it there.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/14/14 06:43 PM

I actually dropped my car off Monday morning at the shop that originally quoted $1100 to repair the frame damage. The shop, Dixons Autobody, works directly with Rose City Chrysler. Upon more detailed inspection that morning Dixons called to tell me the rust perforation damage to the frame structure adjacent to the catalytic converters was much more severe than they originally thought, and the car was unsafe to continue driving.

Dixons was honest with me about the damage and apologized for their earlier estimate; the area is difficult to see and access, and their new report jived with what Performance Chrysler Collision had told me last month.

Dixons said the frame repair would require the engine, exhaust and drivetrain removed. I was quoted $2282.60 for the frame repair and $542 for the R&R of engine and transmission, plus any towing fees to haul the shell from the garage over to the body shop and back.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/15/14 01:25 AM

I have a hard time believing there's no way to get in there enough without pulling the engine. For 2300 i hope you're getting an entire new frame put in the car! Take it to a mechanic shop where they deal with this all the time, not a body shop geared to insurance repairs.
Posted By: moretoys

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/15/14 04:31 PM

my friend has a 80,000 mile 2006 pacifica and I noticed that her engine cradle was rusted through (holes in frame) upon my investigations this is a common problem and 2004 and 2005 had an extended warranty for this problem,BUT 2006 they don't and would not help her. She called and I called customer service,even asked for split the cost. Sorry can't help you 04/05 only. BUT it's the same part. they were nice about it.I called dealer for a quote. The price of the part is $3500 plus labor, but if the 2006 gets included in the future,we will reimburse you. spend over $4000 on a $5000 car.No way.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/15/14 09:59 PM

Quote:

As a minimum you should contact Transport Canada and initiate a formal complaint about a potential safety issue. Structural defects affect the crashworthiness of a vehicle.
You would think that Chrysler/Fiat would learn from the huge GM ignition switch issue of not addressing potential safety defects!!

Do this ^^^. It's your best option at this point unless you just trade it in.

It's not surprising that Chrysler didn't do anything when it's a 9 year old car you've only had a year. Usually car companies are more willing to help when you bought the car new or nearly new from a dealer, or if in general the car is a lot newer.

There are a bunch of people on here who own similar aged ones and quite a few who probably don't live in areas prone to rust. It would be nice if they could check their cars at some point.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/15/14 10:35 PM

Thanks for all of your input.I have made a report to Transport Canada, and also sent a report to the NHTSA.

The area of the LX frame affected is in such tight confines that it is next to impossible to properly visually inspect, let alone repair, with the engine in place. Removal of the exhaust manifolds and cats would help to enable repair to the sides of the frame rails, but it would still be a really tight welding job, and in my car's case the corrosion wraps around to the top of the rails as well.

I urge LX owners, regardless of where they live, to check their cars very carefully for rust perforation and burnt paint and E coast on the frame directly adjacent to the catalytic converters. It's a question of catalytic converter heat, not salt or water, that caused the paint and ecoat to burn off the frame and allowed the rust to form. Even if you find there is no rust YET on your LX beside the catalytic converters but the frame coating looks cooked you should get that coating repaired before rust sets in!

I realize my car is 9 years old, but are we really to expect that a well cared for Chrysler with a $40+K msrp (I have the dealer invoice for my Magnum RT, it sold new to the original owner I bought the car from for $41,269 cdn) will last less than ten years before dangerous structural problems make the car undrivable?

C'mon, every car has its issues but there are all kinds of ten or 15 year old cars on the road from all manufacturers that aren't suffering major structural problems! I don't see how Chrysler could ignore this issue, an issue a Chrysler service manager posted they have been aware of for several years now, and risk that liability. At the very least they should be calling LX cars in to be inspected at a Chrysler dealer and repaired as necessary.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 05:33 AM

Something else must be happening here. Even a piece of bare metal on a var mot driven winters won't rot out like you describe.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 08:48 AM

exactly

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 03:14 PM

It was explained to me by one of the body shop techs that the rust forms quickly because of the constant and severe heating and cooling cycles the frame is subject to right beside the catalytic converters.
Posted By: DUFFMAN

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 03:51 PM

I'll have to take a look at that area of the frame on my 2007 SRT8 when I do the exhaust swap next summer. It's not driven during the winter, but it was by the original owner for the first 3 years of it's life. Mine only have 47k miles and honestly, I've never been under the car.

Maybe it's just the pics, but it doesn't look that bad to me, definitely not enough to be a safety issue.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 04:29 PM

Quote:

Something else must be happening here. Even a piece of bare metal on a var mot driven winters won't rot out like you describe.

It was discussed here in the past about steel brake and fuel lines rotting prematurely. It was brought up that MFGRS use recycled steel. Recycled steel certainly does not have the durability as virgin steel. I wonder if this plays in with this Magnum. I feel bad for the OP. Taking pride in a Dodge product- keeping it pristine and maintained just to face $$$$$$$$$$ to repair something that should not be. These scenarios drive brand loyal folks away- for good!

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 05:48 PM

Quote:

It was discussed here in the past about steel brake and fuel lines rotting prematurely. It was brought up that MFGRS use recycled steel. Recycled steel certainly does not have the durability as virgin steel. I wonder if this plays in with this Magnum.

Dunno where you got that from, you'd be hard pressed to buy steel anywhere that didn't have recycled steel in it.

Also sounds like you have no idea how steel is recycled.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 07:10 PM

I wish I could take better photos to show you all, but as mentioned it is a very difficult area to see let alone get good photos. It would be easier to take photos with at least the downpipes and cats removed.

I have had my car inspected by two trusted independant garages, the local chrysler dealer, two chrysler bodyshops and two independent bodyshops. I kept getting the same shocked look on the technicians faces when once they got my car up on the hoist, brought out the big lights and really saw the extent of the damage. It was estimated that over a foot of frame material on each side of the car adjacent to the catalytic converters was severely rust perforated.

The way Chrysler Canada has brushed me off, and their refusal to acknowledge the situation by getting other LX owners to bring in their cars for inspection, has really shaken my faith. My last vehicle was a jeep TJ, my wife drives a Nitro, my inlaws drive a Caliber...in the past 15 years I have owned a Jeep Cherokee and my wife had a Turbo Daytona. Heck, even my '74 AMC Javelin has a mopar engine and drivetrain in it!

I've loved the Magnums ever since the first 'Hey man, whattaya got in that thing?' TV commercial came out. I knew I'd get one someday. But now I am regretting selling my Jeep, which I sold to my neighbor when I finally found what I thought was a nice clean Magnum RT. I should again mention the staff and management at Niagara Chrysler, Performance Chrysler's bodyshop and Dixons Bodyshop (used by Rose City Chrysler)have all been kind and professional. To a man they were visibly upset to see what happened to my car and were concerned about my safety when driving it.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/16/14 07:48 PM

Quote:

The way Chrysler Canada has brushed me off, and their refusal to acknowledge the situation by getting other LX owners to bring in their cars for inspection, has really shaken my faith.

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Playing devil's advocate here and by no means demeaning your concern, because I'm sure you are frustrated as any one in your position would be;

First, you have an old platform that was developed by a previous owner. By now the design or quality issue that caused it has been resolved so it's no longer a concern from a production or warranty stand point.

Second, Chrysler has enough problems with convincing the public that they build quality vehicles. It doesn't help that the public keeps citing old problems as a reason to hate Chrysler, dragging up a problem with a 10 year old car and creating their own recall would just add fuel to the fire.

Finally, if this is a known issue with the early LXs I'm sure Chrysler has done their research to determine if it is a safety concern, and if it was I'm sure they'd take action as a lawsuit over rusted frames would surely hurt their reputation, which already is been slow to heal.

The thing is all steel rusts eventual. Even though they have come a long way in rust prevention nothing is perfect. It's a 9 year old car with almost 100k on the clock, it's reasonable to assume it will have some rust.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/17/14 06:41 PM

Quote:

It was explained to me by one of the body shop techs that the rust forms quickly because of the constant and severe heating and cooling cycles the frame is subject to right beside the catalytic converters.

I don't believe that one. If that were the case, any car out there with a cat or muffler getting hot would be rotting out frames and floors in all kinds of cars. I would bet there's water pooling in that part of the frame because of the way the frame steel overlaps internally. Then the freeze/thaw cycle sets in, exacerbated by the exhaust heat and it rusts out.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/18/14 02:54 PM

I understand what you are saying. Believe me, I have owned lots of cars with rust problems over the years. But this is different. As someone quoted earlier in this post and originally over on the LX Forum

As quoted "I was the Service and Parts Director for the past 26 years at a metro Chrysler Jeep dealership and I can tell you I have seen this issue.
> The only vehicles I have seen this on were police vehicles, which in my opinion may be more alarming!
> Police have a tough enough job without worrying if their cruiser's frame is going to fail during a high speed chase at 100 MPH or more!
> Chrysler does know about the issue and it seems to effect only vehicles that are exposed to prolonged idling.
> The cats get hot and bake the e coat off the frame rails.
> The last one that I inspected was about 2 years ago and Chrysler did offer the local police department help.
> The offer was that the was to pay $1,000.00 betterment to have the frame rails replaced.
> The police department refused to pay for the defect and auctioned the cruiser to the highest bidder.
> Mopar does need to take action with this and at the least inspect all LX vehicles to be sure we are safe."

This isn't a witch hunt against Chrysler--I just want a known issue dealt with in my case, and to have Chrysler notify other LX owners to bring their cars in for inspection and repair as necessary. How many magnums/chargers/300s do you see in congested urban areas where they are subject to long periods of idling? How many of them share the same problem as my car, and the police cars the Chrysler service manager told us about? There is only one way to find out, and all it takes is a little pre-emptive action on Chryslers part.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/18/14 03:57 PM

While your frustration is understandable, I still think something else is going on here. Steel does not spontaneously rust just because it's hot. Not to the extent you describe. Especially on a car you say was not winter driven. If it did, exhausts and all kinds of other parts would be falling off cars left and right. I still believe water is collecting back there somehow. Possibly due to a design flaw.

Either way, that doesn't help you in this situation any. I just wonder how many more years you could have driven it and never noticed...

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/18/14 04:06 PM

Quote:

While your frustration is understandable, I still think something else is going on here. Steel does not spontaneously rust just because it's hot. Not to the extent you describe. Especially on a car you say was not winter driven. If it did, exhausts and all kinds of other parts would be falling off cars left and right. I still believe water is collecting back there somehow. Possibly due to a design flaw.

So, how young are you? Back before stainless steel exhausts the exhaust systems did routinely fall off left and right. Especially in high salt usage areas. How you northerners can live with new vehicles being deliberately destroyed by the use of salt on the roads is beyond me. I remember my old man's Buick having nothing between his feet and the road but carpet when it was about 10 years old. Hell, the trans cooling lines rusted thru.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/18/14 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So, how young are you? Back before stainless steel exhausts the exhaust systems did routinely fall off left and right. Especially in high salt usage areas. How you northerners can live with new vehicles being deliberately destroyed by the use of salt on the roads is beyond me. I remember my old man's Buick having nothing between his feet and the road but carpet when it was about 10 years old. Hell, the trans cooling lines rusted thru.

You missed the part where he said the car wasn't winter driven?

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/18/14 05:59 PM

I got off on a semirelated tangent with the salt issue. Exhaust systems rotted off without salt, too. My 72 Swinger needed a new tail pipe, San Diego car it's whole life. Found a brand new one in the boneyard, hmm.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/18/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Continual washing in the winter, and not focusing on the outside of the car but underneath where the real damage starts. Also liberal use of oil based sprays (WD40, fluid film, whatever)
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/19/14 04:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He just bought a 9 year old used car. Can't be sure it wasn't driven in winter.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/19/14 05:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He just bought a 9 year old used car. Can't be sure it wasn't driven in winter.

Of course, but there's ZERO rust underneath this car other than right next to the cats on both sides. To me, the bottom line is that it's obviously a manufacturer's defect of some sort, but potential the monetary damage TO THE CORPORATION is far too exorbitant for them to accept liability for this case. It's a shame (for the owner), but I think we all understand why Chrysler Corp denies liability.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/19/14 08:16 AM

Quote:

It's a shame (for the owner), but I think we all understand why Chrysler Corp denies liability.

I would venture to guess that the number of cars affected is actually very small compared to the production run. I would also guess that if the OP was the original owner it may have helped his case.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/19/14 08:37 AM

I feel sorry for you but hey, the car is 9 + years old, your the second owner and it's got about 100,000 miles on it. I know what you want but come on . You made your complaint to the proper people. You have 3 options, sell it, fix it or scrap it. If you have it fixed, save the receipts . Maybe someday someone will file a class action lawsuit that you can get in on.
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/20/14 12:41 AM

Wow,no frame rust on my 05 300c,but most of the floor pan shields have rusted off,but what should i expect with 76K miles and 126 months old?it's time to trade!

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/20/14 02:11 AM

Quote:

Wow,no frame rust on my 05 300c,but most of the floor pan shields have rusted off,but what should i expect with 76K miles and 126 months old?it's time to trade!

You live in Illinois and you don't expect a decade old car to have some rust?
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/20/14 03:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You live in Illinois and you don't expect a decade old car to have some rust?

You got it wrong pal,i do expect rust just not frame rust!
Posted By: 8T2TOP

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/20/14 06:09 AM

Sorry to hi jack.
not sure about the lx's hope they do something!
had a '85 m body squad had similar prob frame rotted out due to the log convert right by the rail both sides car otherwise mint eventually it started sagging on front clip due to rot! miss that ride...

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/23/14 03:42 PM

I don't think that was a hijack, it's interesting that a similar heat caused rust perforation problem to what happened to the frame of my Magnum RT is nothing new.

Out of curiousity, how how do catalytic converters get during operation, especially in city traffic? I wonder if some kind of coating (ceramic? Header paint?) could be used on the LX frames to protect the factory e-coat from burning off and leaving the bare metal exposed?

My neighbor gave me a roll of header wrap to try if/when I get the frame fixed on my Magnum. But I don't know if header wrap would hold up to catalytic converter temps, or could possibly raise catalytic converter temps high enough to damage them. Anyway, finding a way to prevent the burn-off of the e-coat on the frame is food for thought...something an engineer at Chrysler should have thought of and not left to LX owners to figure out on their own.

LX owners should be pushing Chrysler to inspect and find a way to protect their cars' frames before they get cooked like mine did.
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/24/14 01:18 AM

I have seen the cats get up to 1800 degrees, while checking the vehicle out on my snapon computer....That was holding the RPM's around 2000 rpm's

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 11/25/14 03:18 AM

I just read this post on the 'LX Forum' from a gentleman regarding his 2006 Magnum in which he found the frame was starting to rot in the same area adjacent to the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter flange as my 2005 Magnum did.

He wrote, "I have a 2006 R/T AWD . . . have 180k km on it. Had it since new, driven year round. Just had a look and can see surface rust on the frame rail area that is across from the exhaust manifold flange outlet . . . worst of it is along the bottom of the seam where the inner fender is welded. However, took a screwdriver to it, and it is solid. .."

He is lucky his frame isn't yet perforated, but how many of these cars are on the road being driven by unsuspecting owners? I sincerely hope Chrysler will act and get all LX vehicles inspected, and if necessary repaired and/or modified in some way to prevent the problem from occuring, before someone gets hurt or killed when heat from the catalytic converters burns away the e-coat on the frame of thier LX vehicle, rust sets in and the frame eventually lets go.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 12/15/14 04:13 AM

Found this in a police magazine. http://patch.com/ohio/brecksville/rust-issues-on-police-cars-city-department-to-switch-825b600f43
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 12/15/14 01:55 PM

Just had my friends 2004 Hemi 300 on the lift, frame rails were mint with the only rust on the vehicle being around a frame jig opening near the R/R tire. Even then it was slight, typical rust you see there.

New England car with well over 100k on the clock that gets used year round.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 12/15/14 09:29 PM

Glad you checked the car and it was ok. People who have contacted me with the same frame problem as my car next to the catalytic converters have either lived in busy cities or are in the habit of leaving their car idling for a long period with the a/c or heater on. LX cars in rural areas, or those that see mostly highway driving, don't seem to get the cats hot enough to cook the e-coat off the frame.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 12/16/14 06:54 AM

You know what, its a unibody car. The frame you keep spouting off about is probably a 16 gauge channel spot welded to the floor pan. The job is going to require removing at least the seats and carpet, and may involve a consel and dash removal because any fix is going to require welding to the floor pan.Depending on how far up the firewall the repair will have to go, there may also be wiring that needs to be removed.

If i had to remove all the interior, I would do the repair from inside the car, one side at a time. Zip cut the floor and the damaged frame rail out of the car. Fabricate a new frame section to replace the rusted area (I would use an 1/8" wall square or rectangle tube if the size was close) and weld the new frame rail inside the original frame. Then weld a patch onto the floor pan. Repeat the process on the other side. Seam seal and paint the floor patch, replace the interior.
From under the car, if possible, seam seal the edges and paint the repair area, then add the late model heat shields.

The repair area will always be there. Structurally, it will be nearly as good as originally designed, and infinitely better then before the repair. The repair will probably out last the car.
No need to pull the motor. There will be as much time in removing and replacing the interior as the repair will take. I'd do it for that $1150 estimate someone else first suggested, and I'm not scared, I've actually repaired cars that were rusty. If you want to save some money, pull the interior before you send the car here.

After I do the first one, the price might be adjusted up or down. I'll be waiting for the LX Platform cars to be lining up on the street in front of my house. Gene

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 12/16/14 03:22 PM

What a great idea you have of how to fix the problem! Where are you located?
I've been using the 'frame' reference for lack of knowing what to actually call that part of the unibody structure. In talking with Chrysler they called it 'frame structure' but is there a more accurate way to describe this area?

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 12/17/14 03:59 AM

Location? Freeport IL, 120 miles west of Chicago IL, 20 miles south of WI, and 60 miles east of IA. Probably a long way from you.

The frame structure has been incorrectly called the frame on Chrysler unibody cars since the mid 50 when they were first produced. The reality is that the frame structure more closely resembles a frame then anything else. The "frame" name has transcended to all makes of unibody built vehicles, so I guess that is about as correct as anything other then actually calling it the "frame structure".

In simple terms, a unibody "frame rail" is a series of formed channels with flanges on the open ends facing outwards. These channels have the flanges spot welded to the floor pan, to form the "frame". The channels are generally made in sections, and the sections are spliced together. The splice has one end of the channel swedged down to fit inside the 2nd section and the splice is spot welded together. These sections are then spot welded to the floor pan. In locations of high stress, the channels are usually reinforced with a slightly smaller flanged channel the fits snugly into the original channel and both channels are spot welded to the pan. The two channels may be welded to the pan separately, one on top of the other, or both welded to the pan together. The floor pan may have an additional flat plate welded to the top of the channel flanges and then the pan will be spot welded to the plate. I have also seen places where a 3rd layer of channel is added to the outside of the original flanged channel.

It should be obvious the places with multiple layers of speed are great places for rust to start. Condensation or water can be trapped between the layers of steel and begin to rust. As the area passes through the hot and cold cycles, the water separates the steel layers and allows more moisture to become trapped, increasing the speed at which the rust develops. If we add an additional heat source (converter) we can cause the trapped water to expand by boiling the water in the summer, and by freezing the water in the winter, there by reducing the time frame it normally takes for the rust process to damage the integrity of the steel.

The repair of a damaged "frame rail" is simply a matter of removing the floor pan in the area surrounding the damaged rail, removing a section of the damaged area and replacing it with a fabricated replacement section. The new section is welded into place, along with whatever reinforcement pieces are required, and the floor pan is repaired and welded to the rail flanges.

Most unibody cars have a portion of the "frame" that is made of heavy gauge steel. This structure is generally used to mount suspension, motors, and transmissions and is often refereed to an an engine cradle. The cradle is usually mounted to the unibody structure at reinforced locations with bolts through a captured nut welded inside the frame rails. Gene
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/17/22 12:14 AM

Old post but same issue... my Magnum is on her last legs... Both front frame rails rotted thru...Very clean car no rot anywhere but next to the Cats...

Attached picture IMG_2344[1].JPG

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/17/22 02:02 AM

I've retired now, but the fix would still be the same, if the damaged "frame" is not easily accessible from under the car. If the damaged "frame" is easily accessible from under the car, the job is not much different then replacing a "frame rail" on a Cuda, Challenger, or any other late 60s or early 70s Mopar car. Remove anything in the way, drill out the spot welds to remove the damaged part, then plug weld the new part in place, paint as needed, replace the parts removed for access, and carry on with life. You may have to fabricate the new part, but that is part of the game for any vehicle that replacement parts are not made for.

i find it interesting that we don't have any concern about replacing the frame rails on the performance era Mopars cars we love, but somehow consider the modern Mopars we love to be unworthy of frame rail replacement.

For that last guy that posted, I'd probably pay you scrap price for your "rusted out junk." grin Gene
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/17/22 10:28 AM

I remember this post! The use of the word perforation was abundant at the time....
Posted By: dvw

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/17/22 08:47 PM

My 2005 Magnum awd is rusted in the same spot. Along with the front cradle, the left rear hoist pad structure, drivers floor pan, drivers side rear floor pan, lower battery box. Except for the areas by the converter I have repaired the rest. The outer body and the rest of the floor pan is in decent shape. Some bubbles on the left rear 1/4 panel but that's it. There's a lot of other structure by the converters. The metal where it rusts is relatively thin. I peeled the rusted metal away on mine. It looks more like an inner fender than structure. In my opinion there's not a lot of structure loss there Not saying it's great. But I'm not afraid to drive it.
Doug
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/19/22 02:36 PM

My 2012 Challenger R/T is always put away during the Michigan winters. Never driven in the snow. My under body and frame rails are still mint and rust free. However, the driver side quarter before the rear tire is starting to bubble the paint and show signs of rust. Bums me out everytime I see it knowing that I have taken excellent care of it, but yet still is starting to show rust. I understand it is now a 10 year old vehicle. These vehicles must hold water, dirt or debris in these areas?
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/19/22 02:51 PM

I have 06 Magnum RT AWD . . . frame rust where talked about - but it is surface - still all good metal ! . . . as for rust on the quarters . . . well, yeah, right where the bumper meets up to the quarter, on the front part of top of bumper, just above there - sure I drive car year round, but always wash the wheel wells out. The rust bubble was "maybe" 1/8-1/4", on both sides, same spot. Took to body shop and had them cut out the metal, weld in metal, and repaint. I figured after 14 years, (I had done couple years ago), that $2k on body work/paint was pretty cheap maintenance ! . . .all depends if you want to keep the car or not . . . really no difference than our "classic" cars . . .
Posted By: moparx

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/19/22 06:25 PM

in my opinion, panel rust on some of the newer stuff is caused by the foam that is installed to keep noise and rattles down, trapping moisture.
my caravan, although a 1999 model year, has a bunch of that stuff in the rockers, dog legs, and other areas.
as i have seen how these things rust, i drilled holes above the foam, took all the rubber plugs out of the door posts, and removed the tail lights, then had my buddy hose in his "secret sauce" oil.
this totally saturated the foam with oil, and my "bus" is only showing a few rust flecks where the paint has been knocked off by door dings.
while the foam does a pretty good job of keeping the interior quiet, it sure does a number on the sheet metal by retaining moisture.
beer

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/19/22 09:47 PM

I think Moparx is onto something with the foam. The trucks had this issue because of the foam in the beds.

Also, as far as frame rust; I believe any car that's living in snow states with salt is going to be prone to this especially cars ten years old or more. They either have to be put away for winters or receive one of the better treatments to be protected.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/20/22 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
My 2012 Challenger R/T is always put away during the Michigan winters. Never driven in the snow. My under body and frame rails are still mint and rust free. However, the driver side quarter before the rear tire is starting to bubble the paint and show signs of rust. Bums me out everytime I see it knowing that I have taken excellent care of it, but yet still is starting to show rust. I understand it is now a 10 year old vehicle. These vehicles must hold water, dirt or debris in these areas?

It's because Chrysler sprays expanding foam into the rockers & quarter areas like where yours is rusted - to reduce road noise. Even rustproofing cannot get around the foam. The spray-in foam is a TERRIBLE idea - major moisture trap.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/20/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I think Moparx is onto something with the foam. The trucks had this issue because of the foam in the beds.

Also, as far as frame rust; I believe any car that's living in snow states with salt is going to be prone to this especially cars ten years old or more. They either have to be put away for winters or receive one of the better treatments to be protected.

Been driving here in western NY for 40+ years and have never had this type of issue (Isolated extreme rot) usually its the whole damn car!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/21/22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing

Been driving here in western NY for 40+ years and have never had this type of issue (Isolated extreme rot) usually its the whole damn car!

laugh2 laugh2 laugh2 yep ! when they "start" to rust, it usually doesn't take long for the whole car to go !
i have friends in and around Jamestown, and i live in north western Pa, so i see my fair share of crusty cars. biggrin
beer

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/21/22 03:24 PM

My '89 Diplomat Police car came from California. It's unbelievable how clean it is. The underside does not even have any surface rust! The floors and trunk pan look almost new. Location, location, location.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? - 08/22/22 03:33 AM

My '89 Diplomat Police car came from California. It's unbelievable how clean it is. The underside does not even have any surface rust! The floors and trunk pan look almost new. Location, location, location.

I've seen a lot of older CA cars, that are rusty. It seems the roof around the lower edges rot out, apparently, the roof skin holds the salt from the air towards the lower edges. Any place where there is salt in the air, or on the ground promotes rust.

The best vehicles, rust wise, that I've seen are the inland southwest where they seldom see snow, or the extreme inner north west where they see so much snow they don't bother spreading salt, and there is no salt in the air. .
© 2024 Moparts Forums